Thread: PSU help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU help

Hey all,

I've been gearing up to build a new PC (I have a left over 1070 I'll be using again) and need some input on which PSU to get. My build will be something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cathordran/saved/vGjTCJ. From what I've seen on the forums so far, 550W should be more than enough to power everything. Do you have any suggestions around the $70 range? I live in the US, so Amazon or Newegg would be the go to marketplaces for me. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hello_there_123 For This Useful Post:

Cathordran (3 Weeks Ago), Jon Gerow (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cathordran View Post
    Hey all,

I've been gearing up to build a new PC (I have a left over 1070 I'll be using again) and need some input on which PSU to get. My build will be something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cathordran/saved/vGjTCJ. From what I've seen on the forums so far, 550W should be more than enough to power everything. Do you have any suggestions around the $70 range? I live in the US, so Amazon or Newegg would be the go to marketplaces for me. Thanks in advance.
    Not everything, but everything reasonably priced. And your List is Private...

Anyway, personally I'd get higher quality units such as Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11, all in 550W.
    They are vastly superior to the Bronze units while only costing slightly more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Cathordran (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Not everything, but everything reasonably priced. And your List is Private...

Anyway, personally I'd get higher quality units such as Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11, all in 550W.
    They are vastly superior to the Bronze units while only costing slightly more.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the point of getting that high quality of a 550W for $20+ over the CX, which is also LLC and has a decent-ish fan. Of course you could also argue that OP will upgrade in the future, but overall power consumption trends are going down (as you know very well), and for a 300W build like OP I don't expect there to be any lifetime difference between CX and the other PSU beyond their "useful" lifetimes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hello_there_123 For This Useful Post:

Cathordran (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also saw this on the Newegg black friday ad https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-se...r-_-17-139-200. It's going to be $45 plus and additional $20 MIR. I don't know if i'll be able to beat that value. Most cases have the shrouds anyway so I dont think the extra cables is really an issue. I'll keep an eye out for the options Stefan mentioned though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about that, here's the list. It looks like it's probably not necessary at this point though. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cathor...d/#view=vGjTCJ