Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EVGA G2 or something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Yeah, I think that is probably the best plan. Ill go back to what I started off doing and reading up myself and checking the amazon feedback.
    I suspect there is very little in practical terms between the good units and all will do the job fine.
    Amazon feedback -- like most feedback, including Newegg -- is pretty much useless. Go with good reviews.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Point taken about feedback, especially newegg, although I must admit I have found Amazon feedback useful in the past, especially if there is a particular trend.

I have spent quite some time reading through more reviews, and really it still only seems to be on here that the G2 is not well liked.
    Nevertheless I think I am going with the Corsair RMX.

I'm still not sold on the fan bearing or the semi passive mode - seems permanently on would result in less wear especially on FDB/Sleeve, but Corsair must have faith with their 10 year warranty.
    UK RMA centre also is a bonus, and they apparently only send our replacements, rather than repairing.

Focus GX and the Fractal ION+ were also high on my shortlist but RMX can be picked up currently for 96.46 for the 650W or 96.72 for the 750W

I've also had good luck with Corsair in the past - a HX520 that has been running 24x7 since about 2007!
    I know current offerings can't be judged from the past (I think it is actually a OEM Seasonic), but it still impressive.

So unless there is any known issues, I think I will order the RMX shortly, and bring the saga to a close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

and really it still only seems to be on here that the G2 is not well liked.
    Because we are the best of the best and look behind the Marketing Propaganda and also consider other factors that the Reviewers don't consider.

but Corsair must have faith with their 10 year warranty.
    *sigh*
    So you're saying that 20k Keysight Scopes are shit and will die because they don't come with 10 Years Warranty?
    But hey, some number on a Box is more important...

Focus GX and the Fractal ION+ were also high on my shortlist but RMX can be picked up currently for 96.46 for the 650W or 96.72 for the 750W
    Fractal ION is Platinum, so obviously its more expensive than a Gold unit.

I've also had good luck with Corsair in the past - a HX520 that has been running 24x7 since about 2007!
    Yes, and??
    You were lucky and that could happen with most.
    But if it really is fine or not is something that is not easy to test at all. And even with 250, maybe 500mV Ripple, your system woks fine for the most part. Just your components die a bit earlier than necessary...
    But we'll never know as its really hard to test PSU and needs special equipment that's really expensive......

I know current offerings can't be judged from the past (I think it is actually a OEM Seasonic), but it still impressive.
    Not really.
    There are still many PSU from that time around...
    But they must not be used with modern Components anyway and there is hardly a reason to use 2007 PSU anyway, except for old Socket A Systems with CPU powered through the 5V Rail. Except for that, they should have been phased out years ago because of changes in GPU/CPU Power Managments Technologys - wich started with Haswell, around 2013....

Old PSU with modern Components, even if its brand new, fresh from the factory, can kill your components due to the changes (=very heavy transients, due to constant change in voltage and clockrate, where older ones kept the Clockrate. If you want to know, look up "Race to Idle" or "Race to Sleep")

So unless there is any known issues, I think I will order the RMX shortly, and bring the saga to a close.
    It doesn't come with Multi Rail, wich is a good idea in that high wattages you seem to hellbent on getting, even if you don't need it ever.

You even said yourself, that you have a 520W PSU and its still in use today.