Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: EVGA G2 or something else?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Picked up a 750w G2 several months ago and so far happy with it. I usually go for double the wattage needed on the simple premise that it will run much cooler at half the power or less, and thus quieter as well. Caps last longer with less heat, so should be in service for a long time.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to taco For This Useful Post:

    MonkeH (3 Weeks Ago)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    334
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    Picked up a 750w G2 several months ago and so far happy with it. I usually go for double the wattage needed on the simple premise that it will run much cooler at half the power or less, and thus quieter as well. Caps last longer with less heat, so should be in service for a long time.
    EVGA 750 G2 is a good power supply, but your assumptions about heat and noise are incorrect. Two power supplies of similar efficiency, both outputting 350W, will generate similar amounts of heat. There's no reason why one PSU running at 350W would generate less heat than a different PSU running at 350W, just because the former one has higher power cap.
    Likewise, there's no reason why for two hypothetical PSUs differing only in max power output and both outputting 350W, the more powerful one's fan would spin slower than the other. The difference may come from different fan controllers of different brands, or different brand models, but usually the higher-wattage PSU is louder, since its fan has to be a stronger model that can spin faster.

    For example with your specific PSU, look at tests of EVGA G2 550 and G2 850:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ly,4244-4.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/e...-g2-850/6.html

    Noise:
    G2 550 @ 330W: 38.3 dB(A)
    G2 850 @ 340W: 46.5 dB(A)

    Heat:
    G2 550 @ 330W: 41.21 in / 47.87 out (heats up by 6.5 degrees)
    G2 850 @ 340W: 43.61 in / 49.53 out (heats up by 6 degrees)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

    hello_there_123 (4 Weeks Ago)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123
    It might on a single rail PSU, but very specific circumstances have to take place for that to be true. A high ohm short (>0.1) has to happen, and the chance of that is so rare I wouldn't factor it into your PSU buying decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne
    200/12 ~ 17A
    That is what the PSU delivers more...
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919
    17A isn't a massive amount more than the existing 46A, sure, it's more, but you'll probably have a fucked board regardless.
    This is also my thinking - I'm fairly certain with high amperage the damage will be done regardless, unless there is a specific reason why sub 750w power supplies are constructed differently or use different protection.

    It seems protection circuitry or multi rail would be the main reasons why a PSU would be less likely to cause damage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne
    Yes, its rather loud, protection is meh and there are simply other/better options for the money...
    Please could you suggest any others which are better.

    All of the PSU I have looked at are listed as "excellent" on here, and of course it is always possible to find a negative review on Amazon etc - so it is difficult to objectively choose one over another.

    Yeah but when did you see an increase in power consumption?? The Performance is something the PSU doesn't care about. The Power consumption is.
    As the new chips are released, the power consumption will likely increase - e.g. 3700x = 90W, 3900x = 140W, 3950X = 170W.....4950X?? Same with GPU.
    It is hard to say how power hungry they will be, or if they will be more efficient - but the VRM on the x570 board is designed to be significantly more heavy duty so surely it is wise to anticipate future AM4 chips to increase in power.

    I am not buying the PSU for what I have today. I am buying it for 2/3/4 years down the line where hopefully I can pick up a higher end GPU and CPU for cheap which will drop into my system with no other changes required. Why would I limit my options to save a few pounds?

    I am not proposing something ridiculous such as a 1600W PSU, but rather a 750 or 850 unit seems to offer a reasonable amount of headroom for very little extra investment. I can't understand why I would buy the minimum possible specification today and then throw it away and have to buy another PSU in 2/3 years time? It is illogical.

    Its really loud, the EVGA Warranty terms aren't that great either...
    Is this from personal experience, or have you heard something bad about the warranty?
    Everything I have seen has been really positive as awesomegamer919 has suggested - in fact EVGA are often purchased for their warranty over their product quality!

    What are we talking about??
    Someone replacing his 15 year old 550W PSU or something like that??
    I have no idea - I just noted that it had been mentioned several times as a contributing issue to stability on the Navi cards when I had been reading reviews and forum threads on the 5700xt.
    It just seemed another reason not to choose the lowest possible wattage and get a high quality PSU with plenty of headroom instead.


    Leadex 2 is G2. G3 is somewhere close to Leadex 3.
    I was going from the data here, which suggest G2 is Leadex, G3 is leadex II?

    But then in a year or two you come back because your PSU is too loud.
    Well apparently I have to buy a new one every two years anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue eh?

    Is it possible that you underestimate how loud a 140mm fan at 1000rpm is??? That's your 140mm Case fan, if you have one, at close to 12V!
    Many years ago I had modded a system to use two high flow 3000rpm 200mm delta fans - they span so fast that you could balance a CD in the air stream produced.
    They were incredibly loud, you could hear them from the other end of the building... I suspect we might have different standards for acceptable noise levels!

    More seriously, I would actually prefer a noisier ball bearing fan if it means it lasts longer.

    It seems like you totally overrate the warranty
    I would prefer quality first, but a long warranty is often an indicator of better quality.
    EVGA has UK based no quibble RMA, so I think this is not something to be undervalued.
    I believe Corsair is also good and offer ten years too. I would prefer not to have to ship abroad, especially with Brexit.

    And how often do you replace your GPU? How much does that cost? ANd after ~5 Years, after some significant changes, you should evaluate if it makes sense to continue to use the PSU anyway.
    Typically I get around 7 years of life out of a system before, but my last system was in 2009. If I can pick up some cheap upgrades in two or three years when AM4 is phased out, I would hope this would keep the system going longer.

    I cannot see any changes to ATX spec will make much difference to me if I keep the original motherboard.


    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    AMD in particular has a history of releasing horribly power hungry cards to try and compete with much more competitive nVidia options - see FuryX, Vega 64, even RX580 for examples. As for Ryzen, AMD has already announced a 16 core which will assuredly eat up much more power than an existing 6 or 8 core.

    He's already gonna have the board for the 16 core Ryzen which will goble power.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to say.

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    908
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    You have kept your machines for 7 years. I am using a 4770k, which is 7 years old, now. I have a daughter that games on a 4790k -- a year younger. She has only upgraded the GPU. We have kept the same PSUs in that time.

    I suspect the logic of buying a 650W is not bad -- if you really are going to drop some mega GPUs in there. I suspect that whatever you upgrade to will not tax a 550W (the smallest most OEMs sell), so if you get a 550W PSU, you will not have to touch anything but you GPU.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    AMD in particular has a history of releasing horribly power hungry cards to try and compete with much more competitive nVidia options - see FuryX, Vega 64, even RX580 for examples. As for Ryzen, AMD has already announced a 16 core which will assuredly eat up much more power than an existing 6 or 8 core.
    Yes but the release Price of both was far beyond 500.
    VEGA64 was just sold for cheap (V64 for 350-400, V56, wich is specified at 210W, for ~200), but that is the exception.

    The 16 Core Ryzen is still specified at 105W and its not like the Intel Bullshit TDP that is totally useless, AMD means that 105W as a rather hard limit - as you can see with the 180W Threadripper that are power limited and reduce clockspeed, when that power limit is reached...


    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    He's already gonna have the board for the 16 core Ryzen which will goble power.
    Lets just wait and see and not speculate before the 25th...
    And specify at default and overclocked/running free.

    The spec says 105W, wich AMD will (have to) abide by. When you set the current limit higher than the spec, then yes. But that is using the chip outside the spec/overclocking, basically.

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    You aren't entirely wrong, but EVGA in particular are known for being fairly good with honouring warranties, often the T/Cs will cover many scenarios simply as legal backup for extraordinary situations.
    At the moment, yes.
    But there are signs on the horizon that they might not be as healthy as they are now in a couple of years. Especially with the AMD RX5700 series wich totally destroyed the RTX series up to 2070. And even now, the 5700 series is a better deal.

    Also AMD trolled nVidia into registering some names and the RX5500, wich replaces the RX570-90 is already announced, though unobtainium at the moment for some reason...

    And if that keeps up, EVGA is in real trouble as they do not have AMD Products - or even are forbidden from making AMD Products. When that happens and the revenue with nVidia and Intel products crashes, the rest isn't far from it...

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    17A isn't a massive amount more than the existing 46A, sure, it's more, but you'll probably have a fucked board regardless.
    17A is a lot and over the legal specification for 1,5mm cables, wich is specced (or rather has to be fused) for 16A or 15A depending on Region.

    You really overestimate the current cables can handle.
    17A is also far more than a single PCIe connector can handle and, as said, more than the cable in your house are fused with, if we're talking about 1,5mm Copper wires.

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    It's possible it's from leftover FOCUS units, or multi rail units with a single 20A rail for GPUs, regardless, 550w is less than I'd ever suggest for Vega 64, for a 5700XT it should be ok, though there's little harm getting a 600-650w.
    We ain't talking about VEGA and I don't see a reason for 650W (yet), especially since most 650W are only slightly different than 550W at all.
    Look at Techpowerup/Tomshardware Reviews of RM550x and RM650i - wich is only different in the primary section...

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    It's not inherently wrong if someone already has a FOCUS 550w and the PSU from a "reputable brand like Seasonic" is shutting down, so obviously a 650w is a good idea, it's hardly a major leap in logic, even if not 100% correct.
    Depends, but often we're talking about ancient ~500W PSU that are just dying and people are recommending high wattage PSU for no reason...

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    One would think you have a medical condition with how much you go on about PSU noise, the G2 is fiiiiiine for the average person, especially if they aren't using open backed earphones, other components like the GPU and CPU are likely to be somewhat louder.
    It depends what we are talking about, wich unit specifically.

    There are OKish G2 like the 550W and there are obnoxiously loud ones, especially at the higher wattages. 850W I know for certain is really loud, 750W might be closer to the 850W as well.
    And that is the first thing people notice, as 1000rpm on 140mm isn't quiet at all ever.

    And that can easily kill the fun you have with the PSU and lead to all those "my PSU is too loud, I want to replace the fan" threads, that you see from time to time...
    And people might not be aware, that there are pretty quiet PSU, even at higher wattages.

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    You mean the AMD that hasn't been able to match nVidia's flagship for over 3 and a half years now... Intel is more likely to be a GPU threat than AMD at this point (and EVGA do seem to be on good terms with Intel given their Zx30/90/99 boards). EVGA's warranty service is perfectly fine, and whilst I can't promise they won't be around in 10 years, you can't promise they'll be gone by then...
    Again, right now it might look fine but we're talking here about 10, 12 years or so. And that is a totally different story.
    Somewhere in this FOrum someone (Jon??) Postet a Link to EVGA firing a good amount of their employees for example. That is a sign that it doesn't look that great.
    Also:
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...P_1326178.html
    ^1950 sold

    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...-_1324347.html
    ^870

    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...-_1328963.html
    ^830

    Those cards are available how long? a Month? 1,5 Months? And that shows that people like the 5700XT offers - for the price, power and performance ratio.

    And that is before the 5500 and 5900 is released...

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    That last line in particular is super irritating, it's also entirely possible you have to RMA the BeQuiet 2-3 times in the 5 years, but the EVGA lasts the full 10 years, neither you nor I can say either way. Stop using conjecture to further a nonexistant point.
    It was to show that Warranty is overrated and has nothing to do with Quality/reliability of the PSU.

    But with Bitfenix and be quiet you don't have the issue of loud fans at low/medium loads.

    PS: for 650W or more, get the Enermax Revolution D.F. instead of the Bitfenix (same plattform)...

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    EVGA 750 G2 is a good power supply, but your assumptions about heat and noise are incorrect. Two power supplies of similar efficiency, both outputting 350W, will generate similar amounts of heat. There's no reason why one PSU running at 350W would generate less heat than a different PSU running at 350W, just because the former one has higher power cap.
    Likewise, there's no reason why for two hypothetical PSUs differing only in max power output and both outputting 350W, the more powerful one's fan would spin slower than the other. The difference may come from different fan controllers of different brands, or different brand models, but usually the higher-wattage PSU is louder, since its fan has to be a stronger model that can spin faster.

    For example with your specific PSU, look at tests of EVGA G2 550 and G2 850:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ly,4244-4.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/e...-g2-850/6.html

    Noise:
    G2 550 @ 330W: 38.3 dB(A)
    G2 850 @ 340W: 46.5 dB(A)

    Heat:
    G2 550 @ 330W: 41.21 in / 47.87 out (heats up by 6.5 degrees)
    G2 850 @ 340W: 43.61 in / 49.53 out (heats up by 6 degrees)
    You may be right, but doesnt follow logic. Every review on any PSU I've seen has fan speeds, noise and temps rising as the unit is tested from 10% loads to 100%. Not sure if these 550w and 850w G2s (done by different reviewers) are the norm with all PSUs or just an anomaly due to different conditions, testing criteria, etc.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,377
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    You may be right, but doesnt follow logic. Every review on any PSU I've seen has fan speeds, noise and temps rising as the unit is tested from 10% loads to 100%. Not sure if these 550w and 850w G2s (done by different reviewers) are the norm with all PSUs or just an anomaly due to different conditions, testing criteria, etc.
    It's the same reviewer. And it does follow logic. Higher wattage power supplies usually have a fan with higher speed, because it needs to move more heat at full load. Fans with higher full speed usually have higher minimal speed. Because of that you regularly can see power supplies from higher wattages to make more noise with a similar load.

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    You may be right, but doesnt follow logic. Every review on any PSU I've seen has fan speeds, noise and temps rising as the unit is tested from 10% loads to 100%.
    That's not what Orion's trying to say though. He's trying to say that higher wattage PSUs at a given load generally won't have sizeably better temperatures than lower wattage PSUs. Not that as load increases, the temperature doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    Not sure if these 550w and 850w G2s (done by different reviewers) are the norm with all PSUs or just an anomaly due to different conditions, testing criteria, etc.
    First off, Orion's first (or 2) paragraph was a general statement concerning exactly this. The G2 is the norm, not the exception; most if not all lower wattage PSUs have identical or even higher temperatures than their higher wattage counterpart (for example, the RMx 550 vs RMx 750 tested on Tom's Hardware by Aris for example).
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/LC...o4J-650-80.jpg
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/PV...CNP-650-80.jpg

    Even low end platforms like EVGA's G5 series exhibit similar behavior with different wattage PSUs (admittedly not the best example, as the 1000W G5 does have 1-2 degrees advantage over the 750W, but you get the point. 1-2 degrees isn't going to do anything):
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/jV...daG-650-80.png
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/H9...qQ4-650-80.png

    Secondly, the reviews were done by the same person, Aris Mpitziopoulos, who is in fact on this forum as "crmaris". He does independent reviews for publishing on different sites, and the methodology for both reviews were the same.

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    334
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    Every review on any PSU I've seen has fan speeds, noise and temps rising as the unit is tested from 10% loads to 100%.
    And... it's the same here, no difference. What's the anomaly?

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    It seems protection circuitry or multi rail would be the main reasons why a PSU would be less likely to cause damage?
    Yes, Multi Rail is that, wich is why I recommended those units and no other.
    That is also similar to your breaker box.
    You have the Transformer generating the power, then a couple of resistors or coils over wich the voltage drop is measured and if it is too high, the PSU switches off.
    Single Rail has only one of those circuiuts - if at all!
    There are single rail units on the market that have no protection on 12V at all, not even Under Voltage Protection...
    There is a German Review of an Enermax and Lepa unit where something like that was happening....

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Please could you suggest any others which are better.
    Nope, that are the only ones in that price range that come with Multi Rail.
    Over 550W you might want to look at the Whisper M version from Enermax -> Revolution D.F.

    The Advantage of the Whisper M is the compatibility to Corsair Cables for example.
    No idea if Enermax kept the Modular pinout or changed it.


    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    All of the PSU I have looked at are listed as "excellent" on here, and of course it is always possible to find a negative review on Amazon etc - so it is difficult to objectively choose one over another.
    Excellent in terms of Voltage regulation but that's only part of the Story.
    You have 3 main pillars for PSU:
    a) electrical performance
    b) safety/protection
    c) Noise

    Electrical performance is the easiest measured but at the results we have right now, its not that important no more and the other two are at least as important, if not more...

    And the 3rd point is the one you notice the most when using the PSU.

    Bitfenix and be quiet are both good to excellent in noise and safety/protection, the EVGA is far worse. Well, at least it should have gotten overheat protection (OTP).

    Sadly the overload behavior and noise is not something that is tested over here. And most don't really test it or do it wrong (for example test the fan noise at 45-50C envirment)...
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    As the new chips are released, the power consumption will likely increase - e.g. 3700x = 90W, 3900x = 140W, 3950X = 170W.....4950X?? Same with GPU.
    FX9590 = 220W
    3950X = 105W
    Phenom 2, 955BE: 140W, later 125W

    Where is the increase in Power Consumption?

    OK, that was the case with the FX9590, but since then it dropped and got more efficient.
    And especially the lower end is much more efficient.

    The 3700X is by the way a 65W TDP chip, 90W maybe with VRM losses, same with the 3900X. But the specs say that 3900X and 3950X consume the same.
    The reason is that the guaranteed all core speed is much lower on the 3950X

    AMD hasn't released the Specs for the 3950X yet but the base clock is, allegedly, just 3,5GHz while the 3900X has 3,8GHz base.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    It is hard to say how power hungry they will be, or if they will be more efficient - but the VRM on the x570 board is designed to be significantly more heavy duty so surely it is wise to anticipate future AM4 chips to increase in power.
    AMD can't violate the spec too much because they'd get flamed by the Intel Bunch, if they'd do that...

    The VRM of the x570 are designed for overclocking as well.

    And if you argue that way, then shouldn't LGA1155 be super power hungry?
    I mean there was a 32 Phase (+3+2) Phase Board for that Socket, this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I am not buying the PSU for what I have today. I am buying it for 2/3/4 years down the line where hopefully I can pick up a higher end GPU and CPU for cheap which will drop into my system with no other changes required. Why would I limit my options to save a few pounds?
    Problem is:
    Nobody knows what the future will bring.

    But to claim that the future will bring higher power consumption, isn't really based in reality, if we keep a certain price point in mind.

    For highest End stuff, maybe. But the Mid range? Doesn't look like it. On the Contrary!
    It even looks like the lower end becomes more and more efficient - or you could argue that the stuff gets more and more expensive at the same power level(s)...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I am not proposing something ridiculous such as a 1600W PSU, but rather a 750 or 850 unit seems to offer a reasonable amount of headroom for very little extra investment.
    People thought the same 5-10 Years ago and argued that 750 or 850W for "muh future" but that didn't happen.
    On the contrary. Even today, a 550W is plenty!

    Remember, we're talking about a 100W CPU, maybe 150W or so. And even with a 300W GPU; we're talking about 450W total.

    And modern PSU are so good that 100% load isn't an issue. But are you really using it at 100% Load all the time??

    Remember that there are also rumors about the Ryzen 3900 non X with just 65W TDP, wich might or might not arrive soon.

    Besides that, the 3950X might not be available for the next month or two - same as the 3900X for the same reasons (especially since people are actually waiting for that)...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I can't understand why I would buy the minimum possible specification today and then throw it away and have to buy another PSU in 2/3 years time? It is illogical.
    Who said that you'd need a new PSU in 2-3 Years??
    That's not likely at all.

    And even if, more Wattage doesn't mean more reliable or better. For example take two PSU:
    Seasonic P660
    Cougar GX-F 550W

    Wich one of them works with my VEGA64?
    Hint: its the 550W.

    Also I've used it with a (slightly) modified Bitfenix Formula 450W without issues - though that isn't available for you as my had two rails for the GPU, the retail model only comes with one 12V Rail for the GPU...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Is this from personal experience, or have you heard something bad about the warranty?
    Its common sense that you only get the Warranty if the Company is healthy and if they aren't financially healthy, they might reject more and more...

    And they also usually only replace with something similar than yours - for example the EVGA G5, wich looks like its based on the Ancient be quiet Power Zone Plattform, wich is inferior to your G2.

    So if your G2 fails, that might be the one you get in the RMA Process.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Everything I have seen has been really positive as awesomegamer919 has suggested - in fact EVGA are often purchased for their warranty over their product quality!
    ...wich is something you can't guarantee as we do not know how they might handle the Warranty in 5-10 years. And that's why I said that you must not make your choices because of the Warranty and only see it as a bonus you might or might not need!!

    Because its always possible that they mess up one major product wich makes their company go under or they have to "restructure". You just don't know if the Warranty can be honored or not.

    And even if, what PSU do you get in return?? Do you really trust EVGA in PSU Development? Especially when their track record so far was pretty bad...
    And most of their units are just garbage, with a hand full or so of their hundreds of things they have, wich are interesting.

    But even so: They are hardly more than relabeled standard stuff. They didn't even standardize on a modular connection board!!

    Meaning: The EVGA G5 probably has a completely different pinout than the G2 you want to buy...
    Some EVGA G3 and B3 exploded under overload for example.
    The G5 looks to be pretty meh as well. Especially the Ripple on minor rails is very high and far outside the spec.


    TL;DR: EVGA just doesn't seem to have the knowledge to do good PSU!
    And their decent units are basically relabeled Super Flower units, wich are on the louder side for whatever reason...

    Right now they seem to do more with FSP for example. But if you don't know what you want, you can get pretty bad or old stuff.

    Even today it looks like FSP still manufactures a design that is based in the mid 2000s - and had a miserable reputation at the time (mostly due to 8mm caps used as filter caps, a Cap between the main Coil and the secondary heatsinks and faulty parts).

    Because of that, you might want to look at PSU from someone else, someone that at least tries to do something different/special.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I have no idea - I just noted that it had been mentioned several times as a contributing issue to stability on the Navi cards when I had been reading reviews and forum threads on the 5700xt.
    It just seemed another reason not to choose the lowest possible wattage and get a high quality PSU with plenty of headroom instead.
    Its the Quality of the PSU, not the Wattage.
    If you have a bad design, the additional wattage might not be a good thing either. And the NAVI Cards are far less demanding than VEGA.
    And even with VEGA; I haven't had too many issues.

    Well, that is with PSU that I didn't expect them to have issues that is. For example the be quiet Pure Power 10, 400W obviously wouldn't work with VEGA - unless you tone down the max. frequency a bit. And with 400W Primary load and on Power Level 5 with -23% Power Target, it was able to work with that PSU without issues for hours.

    The Bitfenix FOrmula, out of the Box, also switched off. When bridging +12V3 and 4 (wich is internally there but not used), it also works with the VEGA.

    So the Bitfenix design seem to be very good and there are no issues known with it either. And if you have some issues, you can fix it with switching around some connections (one PCIe and CPU)...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I was going from the data here, which suggest G2 is Leadex, G3 is leadex II?
    And Leadex 2 is just a slightly modified Leadex. Didn't have a Leadex but when Comparing my Leadex 2 with a Leadex 2 I couldn't find many differences.

    Hell, you can even argue that Leadex is the same circuit as the Golden Green - with a different arangement of the Components.

    IIRC one of the difference was the addition of OTP to the Leadex 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Well apparently I have to buy a new one every two years anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue eh?
    H??
    No, but think/evaluate the PSU every 5 years isn't a bad idea.
    Nobody said something about 2 years...

    Especially since 2 Years is a time frame we can guess what might happen somewhat.
    But 5 years is harder, if not impossible to guess what might happen...
    And thus "Future Proofing" is not something you can do because the future is not known. We can't prepare for something we do not know...
    And since ATX is already 23 years old, with addition, when its predecessor didn't even do 10 years is another point. As well as the release of the Intel ATX12VO SPecification recently.

    So why do you assume that in 5-10 years Motherboards won't use the Intel ATX 12VO Specification instead of ATX12V???

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    More seriously, I would actually prefer a noisier ball bearing fan if it means it lasts longer.
    2BB Fans is obsolete in Powersupplys.
    You can argue that it makes sense for GPUs due to the high temperatures.

    But for PSU, the newer "FDB" thing is vastly superior than 2BB.
    The FDB is quieter, last as long, if not longer than decent 2BB, thus you do not want a 2BB for a PSU Fan at all these days.
    And FDB Fans in PSU have been in use for over a decade. But they didn't have their own number at the time (2005/6 or so)

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I would prefer quality first, but a long warranty is often an indicator of better quality.
    And that is where you are wrong!
    There isn't necessarily a correlation between Warranty and Quality. YOu can for example exclude things and make the warranty difficult, pray that people forget about Warranty or don't care after 6-10 years if their device still has Warranty.

    Or you can just increase the price of the unit.

    In the end its more of a MARKETING decision than a technical one and one of Money/financing it...


    Besides that, you do not want to pay for a quality unit because that would mean 200-300 for 550W or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    Typically I get around 7 years of life out of a system before, but my last system was in 2009.
    And wich of those Components had 5 or 7 years of Warranty?
    CPU have 3 Years
    Motherboards between 1 and 3 usually, some select 5.
    Graphics Cards usually have almost no warranty, if you're lucky you get 2 years from the Manufacturer (and no, you don't have a legal 2 year Warranty! Its 6 Months and another 1,5 Years where YOU have to prove its broken).
    HDDs are all over the place, but also 5 years tops.
    SSD also have almost no warranty.
    Memory might have some kind of long Warranty though.

    And that's about it.

    So you've proven yourself that there is no correlation between Warranty and usable time

    Especially if you think about the Warranty of some 20-50k measurement equipment - wich also usually only comes with 3 Years Warranty, 5 if you're lucky and often only as an Option (= you pay for it).

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    If I can pick up some cheap upgrades in two or three years when AM4 is phased out, I would hope this would keep the system going longer.
    And if you don't spend 1 Grand on the GPU, its unlikely that you'd need a 750W PSU anyway..
    OC with AMD is something that doesn't make too much sense either, as they are already binned and used at the upper limit of the silicone anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    I cannot see any changes to ATX spec will make much difference to me if I keep the original motherboard.
    That doesn't mean its impossible
    They could, for example, phase out the 8pin connectors and move to a different one.
    Nothing is certain, everything can change...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •