Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA G2 or something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default EVGA G2 or something else?

Hello,

I'm putting together a build for a new PC. Nothing crazy - 3700X (x570) and 2070S or 5700XT

However I want to invest in a good quality PSU with a long (e.g. 10 year) warranty and expected lifespan.
    It is likely the PSU will last at least one upgrade cycle and I usually plan to get 10+ years out of a build anyway, so I don't mind investing up front for something with longevity.

I've found EVGA G2 units (750W and 850W) at a good price which seems ample for futureproofing and everything I read seemed to point to these being quality PSUs and actually better than the G3.
    I also liked the fact they came with a DBB fan, which my gut feeling is I would trust to last longer than the FDB.

I'm not too worried on price or noise, anywhere up to £150 or so is fine. I would rather have something reliable than cheap or quiet. I would like it to be modular.

Looking through a couple of posts on here I see the G2 isn't really recommended - so I would like to understand if this is a bad choice or if there is something better I should be considering.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MonkeH; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

I hate the Term "futureproof" because there is no such thing in the PC World!
    Nobody here knows how long you might or might not be able to use a technology/form factor.

And "moar watt" doesn't mean more futureproof at all!
    Just look at 10-15 years ago, the 1000W from then are not that great by todays standards and should not be used in modern Systems at all!

With a normal System without much OC; with mid range (AM4, LGA115x and non x80ti nVIdia or similar), a 550W is all you need and the additional 200W doesn't necessarily give you any advantages - on the contrary! Higher wattages also mean more damages if something goes wrong, higher fan speed as soon as the fan starts spinning -> no quieter.

SO its just a waste of money and a more annoying PSU you get with those +200 or 300W over a good 550W. Especially since the higher wattage super Flower are really really obnoxious, as soon as the fan starts its rotating with 1000rpm.
    For example:
    https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/test...dex_ii/s08.php

With the specs you listed, even a good 450W is more than plenty!
    550W to be "on the safe side". More Watt is just a waste of money!

SInce you're in the UK: Bitfenix Whisper M, 550W or be quiet Straight Power 11 are the best for your money. And only around 100€.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

How can you say that? Even something simple as buying a high quality PSU instead of a low quality PSU is already future proof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the replies - so is there specifically an issue with the G2?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Nobody here knows how long you might or might not be able to use a technology/form factor.
    I suppose what I mean is two things and I should explain:

Firstly that I want something that will last (i.e. a long warranty implying it is made of quality parts and not expected to die within 3 years).
    While I appreciate technology will inevitably change, once my system is built I would like to get a significant lifespan out of the components and would rather invest a little more now to get better hardware.

In addition, AM4 still has some mileage in the platform, and the competition within the GPU market is heating up, so it is not unreasonable to expect perhaps some significant jumps in performance for both within the next couple of years.
    In which case I would like to have the option of being able to drop in a better CPU (x570 with good VRM should be able to support until end of life for AM4) and perhaps 3080ti or AMD equivalent when they become more affordable.

No doubt these will require more power and I do not want to limit myself by not spending the extra £20 - £30 now and having to rebuy another £100+ PSU in 2 years’ time.

I take your point regarding wattage, but I don't see that a lower wattage is significantly cheaper e.g. BitFenix 550W = £90 and EVGA 750W = £96 - The saving here is minimal, hence why I am trying to understand if there might be other pros/cons.
    G2 seems to be older design at this point, but I don't know if this is really an issue?

Will the damage from 550W really be any less than 750W?

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but there has been quite a lot of comment on other forums regarding the 5700xt struggling on <600w PSU, despite the fact this should be enough on paper.
    The recommendation I have seen being made is to upgrade to 650W+ to solve stability issues. Of course this is only anecdotal, so I am sceptical, but I have seen it said more than once that it fixed the issue.

The tweakpc article I think refers to the Leadex ii (G3?). The noise doesn't really worry me too much, I use headphones mostly - obviously quieter is better, but this is not my primary concern compared to quality, longevity and warranty.

I will add the Whisper M to the short list (Straight Power 11 only has 5 years warranty), are there any others I should consider?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

TXM 550 is at a decent price in the UK; 64 pounds on amazon.uk

More experienced people here may see the difference between the TXm and even higher end PSU like RMx/Whisper m etc. but your build consumes very low wattage (350W or less, max overclock) and I don't expect to see much advantage from plopping 30+ pounds on an RMx/Whisper M/Straight Power 11 over the RMx, if there is any advantage at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hello_there_123 For This Useful Post:

MonkeH (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeH View Post
    It might on a single rail PSU, but very specific circumstances have to take place for that to be true. A high ohm short (>0.1) has to happen, and the chance of that is so rare I wouldn't factor it into your PSU buying decision.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hello_there_123 For This Useful Post:

MonkeH (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    How can you say that? Even something simple as buying a high quality PSU instead of a low quality PSU is already future proof. [/COLOR]
    Even if he did not clearly express his points I can still kind of see them. For example, an RMx might not last you the 10 years of warranty it promises because ATX spec is always changing. To the best of my memory, Intel is pushing for +12V only PSU with the minor rails being regulated on the motherboard... I might be (probably am) wrong in interpreting his view point, but just my thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    How can you say that? Even something simple as buying a high quality PSU instead of a low quality PSU is already future proof. [/COLOR]
    True, getting a better quality PSU is more futureproofing than getting a higher wattage one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Thanks for the replies - so is there specifically an issue with the G2?
    Yes, its rather loud, protection is meh and there are simply other/better options for the money...

In addition, AM4 still has some mileage in the platform, and the competition within the GPU market is heating up, so it is not unreasonable to expect perhaps some significant jumps in performance for both within the next couple of years.
    Yeah but when did you see an increase in power consumption?? The Performance is something the PSU doesn't care about. The Power consumption is.
    And here nothing changed! There are some situations where you can get higher power cards for a good price - at the end of their lifetime, if the price is reduced and they are sold for cheap to clear the stock. That was the case earlier this year with VEGA.
    Otherwise you have to pay in the 1000€ range to kill a 500W PSU.
    Same with the CPU as well. In the lower price range, the consumption didn't change much. In the higher, 500€ or more range, it is possible.
    And especially the HEDT, LGA20xx and AMD Threadripper are already specified for up to 225W. But how likely is it that you will use a Threadripper??

I take your point regarding wattage, but I don't see that a lower wattage is significantly cheaper e.g. BitFenix 550W = £90 and EVGA 750W = £96 - The saving here is minimal, hence why I am trying to understand if there might be other pros/cons.
    G2 seems to be older design at this point, but I don't know if this is really an issue?
    Its really loud, the EVGA Warranty terms aren't that great either...
    You really need to read the Terms! and not just blindly look at the duration.
    Especially if you're a smoker, too bad for you. No Waranty from EVGA!

If they fuck up the painting of the casing and there is some (visible) rust, no warranty for you either.
    If you live in a rather dusty enviroment. Well, too bad. No Warranty either.

You don't believe me? Look at the Terms!
    https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

200/12 ~ 17A
    That is what the PSU delivers more...

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but there has been quite a lot of comment on other forums regarding the 5700xt struggling on <600w PSU, despite the fact this should be enough on paper.
    I don't see any reason for why that should be true.
    Its probably people who buy the shittiest, low quality PSU and then get a 600 or 700W of the shittiest series a company has to offer.
    But nobody is recommending that!

We are recommending high quality PSU that should have no problems with those PSU.

Besides: Even VEGA64 (Sapphire Nitro+) works well with some 550W PSU, some switch off but under normal usage my PC is at around 450W.
    WIth the RX5700XT I had at one time, the power consumption is around 100W lower than with the VEGA at the Wall, in my Testing (at 60fps)

The recommendation I have seen being made is to upgrade to 650W+ to solve stability issues. Of course this is only anecdotal, so I am sceptical, but I have seen it said more than once that it fixed the issue.
    What are we talking about??
    Someone replacing his 15 year old 550W PSU or something like that??

The Problem with PSU is that there aren't many people knowledgable about the subject, thus many fairy tales and false information is going around...
    And the Power

The tweakpc article I think refers to the Leadex ii (G3?).
    Leadex 2 is G2. G3 is somewhere close to Leadex 3.

The noise doesn't really worry me too much, I use headphones mostly - obviously quieter is better, but this is not my primary concern compared to quality, longevity and warranty.
    Yeah, you say it now, that you don't care about the noise of the PSU. But then in a year or two you come back because your PSU is too loud. You wouldn't be the first one with an EVGA PSU...
    Is it possible that you underestimate how loud a 140mm fan at 1000rpm is??? That's your 140mm Case fan, if you have one, at close to 12V!

It seems like you totally overrate the warranty and see that its something important and that the manufacturers have to replace your unit -when that is absolutley NOT the case!
    On the contrary. You should see that as a bonus, an optional Service that you might be able to use. But the older your PSU, the more unlikely it is that they replace it.

Especially with such 5 pages of Terms like EVGA has with so many exclusions. Hell, even shorter ones.

And you also forget that you won't get Warranty when the Company goes under.

And with how things are right now, with the rise of AMD, EVGA might be the first Company that makes PSU on the chopping block. Because they are reliant on nVidia and an exclusive nVidia Partner...

I will add the Whisper M to the short list (Straight Power 11 only has 5 years warranty), are there any others I should consider?
    Yes, Straight Power 5, because Warranty isn't as important as you believe.

And how often do you replace your GPU? How much does that cost? ANd after ~5 Years, after some significant changes, you should evaluate if it makes sense to continue to use the PSU anyway.

And xx Years Warranty doesn't mean that the PSU will die after 5 Years at all!
    Its also entirely possible that the Straight Power would survive 10 years but the EVGA had to be send in twice or thrice in 10 years....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Yeah but when did you see an increase in power consumption?? The Performance is something the PSU doesn't care about. The Power consumption is.
    And here nothing changed! There are some situations where you can get higher power cards for a good price - at the end of their lifetime, if the price is reduced and they are sold for cheap to clear the stock. That was the case earlier this year with VEGA.
    Otherwise you have to pay in the 1000€ range to kill a 500W PSU.
    AMD in particular has a history of releasing horribly power hungry cards to try and compete with much more competitive nVidia options - see FuryX, Vega 64, even RX580 for examples. As for Ryzen, AMD has already announced a 16 core which will assuredly eat up much more power than an existing 6 or 8 core.

Same with the CPU as well. In the lower price range, the consumption didn't change much. In the higher, 500€ or more range, it is possible.
    And especially the HEDT, LGA20xx and AMD Threadripper are already specified for up to 225W. But how likely is it that you will use a Threadripper??
    He's already gonna have the board for the 16 core Ryzen which will goble power.

Its really loud, the EVGA Warranty terms aren't that great either...
    You really need to read the Terms! and not just blindly look at the duration.
    Especially if you're a smoker, too bad for you. No Waranty from EVGA!

If they fuck up the painting of the casing and there is some (visible) rust, no warranty for you either.
    If you live in a rather dusty enviroment. Well, too bad. No Warranty either.

You don't believe me? Look at the Terms!
    https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/
    You aren't entirely wrong, but EVGA in particular are known for being fairly good with honouring warranties, often the T/Cs will cover many scenarios simply as legal backup for extraordinary situations.

200/12 ~ 17A
    That is what the PSU delivers more...
    17A isn't a massive amount more than the existing 46A, sure, it's more, but you'll probably have a fucked board regardless.

I don't see any reason for why that should be true.
    Its probably people who buy the shittiest, low quality PSU and then get a 600 or 700W of the shittiest series a company has to offer.
    But nobody is recommending that!

We are recommending high quality PSU that should have no problems with those PSU.

Besides: Even VEGA64 (Sapphire Nitro+) works well with some 550W PSU, some switch off but under normal usage my PC is at around 450W.
    WIth the RX5700XT I had at one time, the power consumption is around 100W lower than with the VEGA at the Wall, in my Testing (at 60fps)
    It's possible it's from leftover FOCUS units, or multi rail units with a single 20A rail for GPUs, regardless, 550w is less than I'd ever suggest for Vega 64, for a 5700XT it should be ok, though there's little harm getting a 600-650w.

What are we talking about??
    Someone replacing his 15 year old 550W PSU or something like that??

The Problem with PSU is that there aren't many people knowledgable about the subject, thus many fairy tales and false information is going around...
    And the Power
    It's not inherently wrong if someone already has a FOCUS 550w and the PSU from a "reputable brand like Seasonic" is shutting down, so obviously a 650w is a good idea, it's hardly a major leap in logic, even if not 100% correct.

Yeah, you say it now, that you don't care about the noise of the PSU. But then in a year or two you come back because your PSU is too loud. You wouldn't be the first one with an EVGA PSU...
    Is it possible that you underestimate how loud a 140mm fan at 1000rpm is??? That's your 140mm Case fan, if you have one, at close to 12V!
    One would think you have a medical condition with how much you go on about PSU noise, the G2 is fiiiiiine for the average person, especially if they aren't using open backed earphones, other components like the GPU and CPU are likely to be somewhat louder.

It seems like you totally overrate the warranty and see that its something important and that the manufacturers have to replace your unit -when that is absolutley NOT the case!
    On the contrary. You should see that as a bonus, an optional Service that you might be able to use. But the older your PSU, the more unlikely it is that they replace it.

Especially with such 5 pages of Terms like EVGA has with so many exclusions. Hell, even shorter ones.

And you also forget that you won't get Warranty when the Company goes under.

And with how things are right now, with the rise of AMD, EVGA might be the first Company that makes PSU on the chopping block. Because they are reliant on nVidia and an exclusive nVidia Partner...

You mean the AMD that hasn't been able to match nVidia's flagship for over 3 and a half years now... Intel is more likely to be a GPU threat than AMD at this point (and EVGA do seem to be on good terms with Intel given their Zx30/90/99 boards). EVGA's warranty service is perfectly fine, and whilst I can't promise they won't be around in 10 years, you can't promise they'll be gone by then...

Yes, Straight Power 5, because Warranty isn't as important as you believe.

And how often do you replace your GPU? How much does that cost? ANd after ~5 Years, after some significant changes, you should evaluate if it makes sense to continue to use the PSU anyway.

And xx Years Warranty doesn't mean that the PSU will die after 5 Years at all!
    Its also entirely possible that the Straight Power would survive 10 years but the EVGA had to be send in twice or thrice in 10 years....

That last line in particular is super irritating, it's also entirely possible you have to RMA the BeQuiet 2-3 times in the 5 years, but the EVGA lasts the full 10 years, neither you nor I can say either way. Stop using conjecture to further a nonexistant point.
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

13. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

MonkeH (3 Weeks Ago)