Thread: choosing a CPU!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default choosing a CPU!!

I was originally going to use a Ryzen 5 2600 as my CPU but I was told that’s a horrible choice and should just go with an equally good intel one because intel has better performance.Is this true or can I go with Ryzenwhatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin
    Last edited by NuzakFarnas; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

'equally good' because it has 'better performance'

seems to me a bit of a contradiction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

That's a very vague statement. Intel is a brand of CPU with many models of different performance levels.

An i5 8600K is the closest to the performance of a Ryzen 5 2600 and it costs twice as much. So if budget is limited to ~ $120, the Ryzen is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Depends on the money, what you have.
    In general, the Ryzens are pretty good and with the new RDR2 Benchmarks you see that lower end Intel can suck in that game for whatever reason (well, the ones without SMT that is, like the 9600K and even the 9700K, the 6700K however is fine for whatever reason).

But if we're talking about at the same price or lower end, that's not true.

Assuming the Price is similar to Germany (well, probably, not), where you can get the 2600 for 120€+ Shipping.

The next best INtel thing would be either the i3-9100F for 80€, wich is a 4C/4T CPU or the 9400F, wich is around 150€.
    Both don't come with SMT. ANd with our current knowledge, we do know that the Intel CPUs have more security vulnerabilitys than AMD has (wich somehow nobody talks about for whatever reason).

But there is another Problem! The Intel Boxed Heatsink is just absolute garbage and you'd expect something usable - wich its not, if we talk more than webbrowsing or testing if the CPU works. For Gaming its unusable. So another 10-25€ for the Heatsink. While the AMD Heatsink isn't great, its at least somewhat usable (though for a decent, quiet experience, a good quality heatsink is recommended for both).

But it gets worse. You get a small Game BUndle with the Ryzen as well. 3 Months XBox Game Pass, wich includes for example the Outer Worlds, Metro 2033 Redux, the Outer Wordls, Gears Ultimate Edition, as well as 4 + 5, Forza Horizon 4, Bloodstained, Age of Empires 1+ 2 in the definitive Edition and some other decent games.

Its not much but its a nice thing to have.

And look at this comparisation between the older 1600 and the i5-7600K:

IN hinsight, the 1600 was the better deal, as it works better with some newer Games.

TL;DR:
    AMD offers a great value, especially in the lower price range there is no reason to get Intel. Espeicially with the price/performance and the features. ALso the AM4 Plattform allows one PCIe SSD connected to the CPU - Intel does not. In total, 2 for 400 series and 3 for X570 is what can make sense.

Though if you can afford it, you might also want to look at the Ryze 2700 or 3600 because you can get Borderlands 3 with that bundle (I wouldn't bother with Outer Worlds as you get it with Xbox Game Pass PC anyway). The 2700 is $170 on Newegg but the game is also around $60, so you can justify it with getting two additional cores for free - and an OKish game...

And the Intel CPUs are just too expensive for what you really get...
    In the 9k Series most CPUs come without SMT enabled, only the 9900 comes with it enabled...
    9600K is a 6 Core/6Thread CPU and even more than the AMD 3600 (230€ vs 200€)
    Same with 9700K vs 3700X -> 380€ for the Intel (8 Cores, 8 Threads) vs 330€ for AMD (8 Cores but 16 Threads)...
    In Games AMD is very cometitive with the new 3600-3900 Series, the 2600 is not as good but still very usable and might even have reserves "for the future".