Thread: How do processors that have a combination of high and low performance cores work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do processors that have a combination of high and low performance cores work?

In mobile computing there is often this concept where a high core count CPU is actually configured that half of its cores are "high power" and half are "low power". Are the high and low power cores actually different in design or is it just a difference in clock speed, and if so, what design considerations go into each "grade" of cores? Does higher power cores take up more space on the same process node? What benefits does it have over, say, having all the cores be the same but halfway between the performance of the high and low power cores? Finally, do these processors require a more complicated VRM that can deliver two different voltages to the cores?https://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/

Also, I don't think I've ever seen this concept outside the mobile market. Is there a reason it's not used for desktop or server computing?
    Last edited by MonilGomes; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Are the high and low power cores actually different in design or is it just a difference in clock speed

Both are true, sometimes different core designs, sometimes the difference is clock speed.
    and if so, what design considerations go into each "grade" of cores? Does higher power cores take up more space on the same process node?
    If there is a difference in design.

What benefits does it have over, say, having all the cores be the same but halfway between the performance of the high and low power cores?
    If you go between, then you have lower performance and higher power consumption.

Finally, do these processors require a more complicated VRM that can deliver two different voltages to the cores?
    Sure, but it's also rocket science without the big.LITTLE concept.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen this concept outside the mobile market. Is there a reason it's not used for desktop or server computing?

It's not useful. Would you care if your desktop idle power consumption would go from 49,95W to 49,9W? I don't but I would however care about the price difference, because it would make my CPU costs twice as much.