Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Can I go wrong with any of these PSUs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Can I go wrong with any of these PSUs?

    Hello all, first time poster, pretty new in this area (read: not too technical about PSUs). Anyway, I'm slowly acquiring parts for a long overdue build to replace my 10 year old system, which technically is still running pretty strong. *shrug*
    To keep it short, I'm planning a Ryzen 5 3600, B450 ATX board, and a GTX 1660 ti or maybe RTX 2060 among other parts, but those are the essentials. I'm pretty sure the absolute minimum I would need is only 450W or less even, but just to give it some headroom, I'm planning to go 550W. I run my computer 24/7 right now, so that's what I'm expecting for the new build as well. I probably won't be planning to overclock. I'm looking at these units:

    Corsair RM550x
    Bitfenix Whisper M 550W
    EVGA Supernova G2 550W
    Seasonic Focus Gold 550w (Model GX-550, but Part Number SSR-550FX)

    From what I understand, all are very good units and can probably be equally compared. They are also all around $80-90 USD, with the exception of maybe the Seasonic unit being slightly more expensive. I assume Seasonic, Corsair (CWT) and EVGA (SuperFlower?) are the more established players in this space, while BitFenix seems fairly new, though still a CWT unit? BitFenix also "only" has 7 years of warranty vs 10 for the others, which I think should speak to all the vendors' confidence in quality.

    I was previously ready set for the Seasonic unit, until I started reading more about how people have issues with it, which looks to affect certain models only. What I'm confused about when looking at the Seasonic is whether this part number is of the "good" or "bad" variety, since it has both model GX (good) and part number FX (bad) in it.

    My current/old PSU is a XFX XXX edition 650w semi-modular 80+ Bronze, which has been chugging along this whole time, so I'm sort of thinking it doesn't really matter which unit I go with since they should all perform pretty well according to reviews. I'm more interested in a unit that can provide continuous, stable power 24/7 for long term longevity.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Why not get the RX5700?? Its a bit cheaper than the 2060 and more powerful.
    As for the PSU: I'd take the Whisper M over the others.

    The Focus is the last one I'd consider because of some Problems with either too high Protection (newer versions) and thus out of spec voltage. Or other some Graphics cards such as ASUS Strix GTX970...
    No such Problems are known with the other 3.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I wanted to use the system not only for decent gaming, but also for hardware accelerated streaming/transcoding, and from what I've read so far the Nvidia NVENC is more broadly supported among streaming applications (Plex, bubbleupnp, etc) vs the AMD encoder. Though I may have my information wrong, as there haven't been too many posts that confirm for sure either way. Another reason is since I tend to leave my pc on 24/7, the Nvidia cards draw less power overall than comparable AMD cards.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    The Focus is the last one I'd consider because of some Problems with either too high Protection (newer versions) and thus out of spec voltage. Or other some Graphics cards such as ASUS Strix GTX970...
    No such Problems are known with the other 3.
    His build consumes like what? 250W max full OC + load? Why are you bringing a very specific problem with the Focus (you need to hit 120% or higher of the rated wattage!) into this??

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    As to OP; I believe that the Focus 550W at $70 would be the best deal for you. I just don't see the benefits of paying $10 more for the Whisper M 550 that comes with 3 year less warranty, on a system that consumes 250W max.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manfurismojive View Post
    I wanted to use the system not only for decent gaming, but also for hardware accelerated streaming/transcoding, and from what I've read so far the Nvidia NVENC is more broadly supported among streaming applications (Plex, bubbleupnp, etc) vs the AMD encoder.
    That isn't necessarily true as there is also a DX Spec for that -> DXVA, wich all should support, at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by manfurismojive View Post
    Though I may have my information wrong, as there haven't been too many posts that confirm for sure either way.
    Probably because the Misniformation is pretty big and its hard to get to the truth...
    But one way or another, GPU acceleration should be supported, its just that nVidia in some cases doesn't give a damn about Open Standards.
    Such as VESA Adaptive Sync or recently OpenCL.
    Quote Originally Posted by manfurismojive View Post
    Another reason is since I tend to leave my pc on 24/7, the Nvidia cards draw less power overall than comparable AMD cards.
    That's just FUD.
    Especially in idle, its not true.
    In Idle everything is very close...

    But why not make 2 PCs?? One for Gaming, one optimized for low power consumption??
    A Dedicated "save/Office" PC is under 20W when idling and 35W at medium loads.

    Game PCs are around 50-80W.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    As to OP; I believe that the Focus 550W at $70 would be the best deal for you. I just don't see the benefits of paying $10 more for the Whisper M 550 that comes with 3 year less warranty, on a system that consumes 250W max.
    The Whisper M doesn't have any known issues (well, that you wouldn't expect that is), the Focus does. FOr example the Issue with the ASUS GTX970 Strix.

    Also there is the Whisper M 450W as well, wich is a bit cheaper than the 550W.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    The Whisper M doesn't have any known issues (well, that you wouldn't expect that is), the Focus does. FOr example the Issue with the ASUS GTX970 Strix.
    Yes, that is only ONE gpu. And the other issues with the Focus aren't relevant to OP at all. I don't see any scenario in which the higher cost Whisper M could lead to a better outcome on OP's build compared to the Focus.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    Yes, that is only ONE gpu.
    It is something that was acknowledged by the Manufacturer.
    And it wasn't even a very high power GPU either.

    Why defend the unit when there are alternatives?? I don't get it...

    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    And the other issues with the Focus aren't relevant to OP at all.
    How can you say that?
    How do you know that it won't be an issue in the future when he gets a new GPU and it happen to have Issues???

    There are also Issues with X/P Series with certain configurations...
    FOr example VEGA64 and i7-3930K with the Gigabyte X79 UD5 I have reboots randoly with the P-660 I have.

    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    I don't see any scenario in which the higher cost Whisper M could lead to a better outcome on OP's build compared to the Focus.
    known good/quiet fan, known good plattform without any serious issues that we know of.

    The Focus on the other hand has high ripple before shutting off, issues with certain GPUs, fan is also something people complain about.
    And also the Whisper M comes with two PCIe Cables, one connector each.

    The Focus only comes with one PCIe Cable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    So I noticed neither the Corsair nor the EVGA units have been mentioned as alternatives. Is the BitFenix just that good that these guys aren't worth mentioning?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •