Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: EVGA 500GD Internals

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default EVGA 500GD Internals

    The pictures aren't very professional, but

    https://imgur.com/a/r619suq

    I was told that this seems to be similar to a "FSP Hydro GE" with some changes

    the only review of the FSP Hydro GE I can find gives it favorable reviews, would anyone here have an idea of just how good the GD would be?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,367
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    112
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

    Default

    It's indeed really close to FSP Hydro GE/Hexa 85+/Raider II low wattage models. It's as low as you should go for a new budget gaming machine, with a simple graphics card. Or something you would use in a budget/mainstream gaming machine from 5 years ago, to replace a defective power supply. But the price should be really low, like 50 dollars, otherwise it's already to expensive.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    would anyone here have an idea of just how good the GD would be?
    honestly: I'd avoid it. Doesn't look too good/promising, just cheap(ish)...
    The fan can be an improved Sleeve bearing but also a simple/normal sleeve bearing...

    All in all, there might be better units for the money, even a better EVGA might only be 5-10 more.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    honestly: I'd avoid it. Doesn't look too good/promising, just cheap(ish)...
    The fan can be an improved Sleeve bearing but also a simple/normal sleeve bearing...

    All in all, there might be better units for the money, even a better EVGA might only be 5-10 more.
    I paid $60 for this model and the best, closest price model seems to be the BitFenix Formula 650W ($75)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    I paid $60 for this model and the best
    That seems to be somewhat OKish. Any more than that its not good...

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    closest price model seems to be the BitFenix Formula 650W ($75)
    With $60, its probably closer to a be quiet Pure Power 11/500W, wich comes with a far better fan with an improved Sleeve Bearing (Rifle) and known low noise.
    Also Corsair CX, even though its Bronze, is something I'd consider similar...

    Bitfenix Formula Over here at ~65 for the 450W and 70 for the 550W is a far superior unit that keeps up with far more expensive units....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,367
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    112
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    I paid $60 for this model and the best, closest price model seems to be the BitFenix Formula 650W ($75)
    A Corsair CX450M is already better overall and should be cheaper in the USA.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    A Corsair CX450M is already better overall and should be cheaper in the USA.
    I meant gold power supply, sorry. The CX series is around the same and is better for sure

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,367
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    381
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    112
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    I meant gold power supply, sorry. The CX series is around the same and is better for sure
    Why does it matter? A better power supply for less is a better power supply for less.

    Anyway, otherwise there is a Thermaltake ToughPower GX1 500W for 50 dollars after 10 dollars MIR at Newegg.
    https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-t...82E16817153373

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

    matusrules (3 Weeks Ago)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,143
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    543
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    286
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matusrules View Post
    I meant gold power supply, sorry. The CX series is around the same and is better for sure
    Gold is just an efficiency rating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •