Thread: Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular

Hello Goodnight
    I live in Murcia (Spain).
    I've been reading PSU analysis in Jonnyguru for quite some time (by the way, do you know when we can have new analyzes? I'm anxious.
    I found a PSU with a very interesting price here in Spain. It is a Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular. Its price on offer is € 126 (before the offer, its price was € 225). I am thinking of buying it, although I do not find much data or analysis of this model.
    I have managed to find this: The OEM of that PSU is enhanche electronics, it is based on the electronic enhancement platform ATX-1300 Platinum series, but no more information.
    I plan to mount it on a computer that I will buy at the end of the year. Although there are many watts, but at that price I am interested in if I mount a PC with enough watt consumption.

Could you give me more information about that Zalman? (internal components, curl suppression, etc.)

I would like the PSU to mount my future PC to be of the highest possible quality.
    Thanks and greetings from Spain!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Jeremy reviewed the 850W here last year and it was in fact made by Enhance.

He seemed to be impressed with it in every way except for value (too expensive versus the competition). But that was a year ago. If you can get one at a price better than other similar units available, then why not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

€ 126 looks quite tempting to me... for a 1200W platinum psu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Might be but for what Computer?
    A 1200W for a 300W PC makes little sense even at the price.

Because we're talking about 100A on 12V, if something goes wrong, it really goes wrong. And there's a lot of energy in the primary side as well, even if power goes out.
    So is it really a good idea?

What other alternatives?
    What are the components?

How much is really needed??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for your answers; Jon Gerow's, rgbodosk and Stefan Payne. I am very grateful.

I'm going to look for that Eremy review, could you tell me where I can find it?

I think it's a good question and good reasoning, Stefan. I tell you what made me think that this source might interest me, but I would appreciate it if we could discuss and reason about my decision.
    The price drop of 44% is due to the fact that this PSU was destined for mining, but that activity is going down considerably and that trade must give way to those stored products. If it weren't for that price drop I wouldn't think to buy that model, but I'm aware that I won't need so many Watts, but could I have a problem with a source of so many watts?
    I comment other models in promotion:
    - Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular (previous price of € 225; current of € 125; drop of 44% in price; it is the model I have commented)
    - Zalman ZM1200-EBT 80 Plus Gold 1200W Modular (previous price of € 195, current of € 117; down 40%; it does not convince me much, since there is the platinum).
    - Zalman Acrux Series ZM1000-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1000W Modular (previous price of € 155, current of € 110; down 29%; I think its watts are more correct for the pc I would need, but for € 15 more I have the 1200w)
    - Zalman ZM850-EBT 80 Plus Gold 850W Modular (previous price of € 164; current price of € 85; price drop of 48%).

- Enermax Platimax D.F 80 Plus Platinum 1050W Modular (previous price of € 258; current of € 218; decrease of 16%).

The biggest price drop is in the Zalman models; That is the reason why I am thinking about your purchase; although there are other brands that I know more.
    The components will be those of a pc that I will buy at the end of the year:
    -CPY: Ryzen 3000; intermediate / high-end model, but I have not yet decided which one. I would also study the new Intel at 10nm.
    - GPU: Mid-range, but I still don't know which one.
    - minimum 32 Gb of ram.
    - Motherboard: Maybe a mid / high range x570 if I decide on the Ryzen.
    - External DAC: JDS Labs Objective DAC (ODAC) RCA audio USB DAC.
    -5 or 6 fans. In Murcia it is quite hot in summer.

- Heatsink: Noctua dh15.

Those are the components that I plan to assemble.

I thought that using a PSU of more watts than necessary could flatter its life, when working at low loads. it is right? Also in case in the future I decide to place components of more consumption, although I do not think the increase in watts was very high (not for gaming use).

This conversation is interesting. The offer is tempting, but I don't want the price drop to influence my purchase and buy an unsuccessful product.
    Thank you very much for your help
    Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mineral View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers; Jon Gerow's, rgbodosk and Stefan Payne. I am very grateful.

I'm going to look for that Eremy review, could you tell me where I can find it?

I think it's a good question and good reasoning, Stefan. I tell you what made me think that this source might interest me, but I would appreciate it if we could discuss and reason about my decision.
    The price drop of 44% is due to the fact that this PSU was destined for mining, but that activity is going down considerably and that trade must give way to those stored products. If it weren't for that price drop I wouldn't think to buy that model, but I'm aware that I won't need so many Watts, but could I have a problem with a source of so many watts?
    I comment other models in promotion:
    - Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular (previous price of € 225; current of € 125; drop of 44% in price; it is the model I have commented)
    - Zalman ZM1200-EBT 80 Plus Gold 1200W Modular (previous price of € 195, current of € 117; down 40%; it does not convince me much, since there is the platinum).
    - Zalman Acrux Series ZM1000-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1000W Modular (previous price of € 155, current of € 110; down 29%; I think its watts are more correct for the pc I would need, but for € 15 more I have the 1200w)
    - Zalman ZM850-EBT 80 Plus Gold 850W Modular (previous price of € 164; current price of € 85; price drop of 48%).

- Enermax Platimax D.F 80 Plus Platinum 1050W Modular (previous price of € 258; current of € 218; decrease of 16%).

The biggest price drop is in the Zalman models; That is the reason why I am thinking about your purchase; although there are other brands that I know more.
    The components will be those of a pc that I will buy at the end of the year:
    -CPY: Ryzen 3000; intermediate / high-end model, but I have not yet decided which one. I would also study the new Intel at 10nm.
    - GPU: Mid-range, but I still don't know which one.
    - minimum 32 Gb of ram.
    - Motherboard: Maybe a mid / high range x570 if I decide on the Ryzen.
    - External DAC: JDS Labs Objective DAC (ODAC) RCA audio USB DAC.
    -5 or 6 fans. In Murcia it is quite hot in summer.

- Heatsink: Noctua dh15.

Those are the components that I plan to assemble.

I thought that using a PSU of more watts than necessary could flatter its life, when working at low loads. it is right? Also in case in the future I decide to place components of more consumption, although I do not think the increase in watts was very high (not for gaming use).

This conversation is interesting. The offer is tempting, but I don't want the price drop to influence my purchase and buy an unsuccessful product.
    Thank you very much for your help
    Regards
    Here is the review. BTW -- the reviewer's name is Jeremy. And it looks like the very PSU he reviewed is going for 85 Euros, per your report. Are the Zalmans EOL? Are they leaving the PSU market?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Not sure about EOL, but guess not.
    They are not leaving the market, they recently released new lineups.(at least here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much, ehume and rgbodosk for your prompt response and for your help.
    I have read that review and it seems that PSU works fine. There are other more efficient PSUs, but this Zalman doesn't seem to do her job badly.
    I heard that this drop in price was a consequence of the fact that the trade needed to exit these units from what I say above about mining, but I honestly don't know if it's true. I would worry if the reason was for Zalman to leave the market.
    What has me a little worried is that being 1200 watts and that the PC does not consume perhaps even half, may have more damages than benefits, I do not know.
    The price is tempting and I thought that a PSU with more watts than you might need would extend its life, but I don't know. I have no knowledge in electronics, I could be saying something totally wrong
    Thank you all for your great help!
    Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello‘‘‘
    I rethink this thread to ask for advice or clarification again in case someone could tell me whether or not there are inconveniences when using a PSU with many more watts than the PC can consume.
    The components of the pc are the ones I detail above. The reason I was thinking of buying that 1200 Watt Zalman is the price reduction, but I know that my future PC will not consume so many watts.
    I think that the burden of that Zalman will be perhaps below 50% (I think that 50% would be his "sweet" or optimal point of efficiency) so he would not be using it in the most efficient way, but, he would have some inconvenience plus? (for the PSU or for the rest of the PC components).
    When operating that PSU well below its full load, would its useful life be extended or not?
    Thanks and sorry for insisting. Knowing that would condition my purchase.
    Regards‘‘‘

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Zalman is not leaving the PSU market just many brands and distributors are facing heavy overstocks since mining ended so now they are selling below cost to clear some stock or high wattage PSU.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

ehume (10-22-2019)