Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Zalman ZM850-EBT is a good power supply and it can power two or even three high-end graphics cards, it's unlikely you need even more. So the question is, can you get a better power supply for 85 euros?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello ¡¡¡¡
    Thank you, Philipus II and The Mask for answering and helping me.
    I think I understand you, The Mask. I should look in my country for a PSU of 850 wats, Gold and of equal or greater quality than Zalman 850wats for a price of € 85 or less. Is that so?
    Is there much difference in internal component quality between a Zalman Gold and a Zalman Platinum? I also think that would be important.
    I think € 85 is a competitive price, but I must look. Do not discard anything.
    Thank you.
    Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

You don't have to look at a 850W power supply. If you're looking for a mainstream graphics card like for example a GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Super or GTX 1660 Ti, the whole PC including a Ryzen 9 3900X or 3950X will consume around 300W under load. A high quality power supply from 400W till 550W is most likely more then enough for you. The question is can you buy something better in that wattage range for less than 85 euros. By the way, 80PLUS certification has nothing to do with quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello¡¡¡¡
    Thanks, The Mask for the quick response. I barely have knowledge in PSU; You may be asking silly or very basic questions.
    Yes, I plan to mount a conventional GPU. I still don't know which one, but it won't be very powerful since it won't be to play nor do I need it for my work. The CPU would be high end.
    Why € 85? According to ehume "it seems that the same power supply that he reviewed costs 85 euros, according to his report" in that analysis its price was € 137, although it was excessive compared to the competition.

According to Stefan: "Because we are talking about 100A at 12V, if something goes wrong, it really goes wrong. And there is also a lot of energy on the primary side, even if the power goes out"; I don't understand what this part means, what risks that has.
    I am gradually clarifying myself and understanding things. Thanks for your help.
    Regards¡¡¡

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mineral View Post
    According to Stefan: "Because we are talking about 100A at 12V, if something goes wrong, it really goes wrong. And there is also a lot of energy on the primary side, even if the power goes out"; I don't understand what this part means, what risks that has.
    I am gradually clarifying myself and understanding things. Thanks for your help.
    Regards¡¡¡
    What Stefan is saying is that with a single rail, all 1200W could be dumped in one spot all at once. I think we have seen pics of fires that started that way.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, good afternoon from Spain!¡¡
    Hi, ehume, thank you very much for answering ¡¡¡
    that risk of burning when using 1200 watts; Would it be on all PSU charges or only when those 1200watts are consumed?
    Stefan says "100 A at 12 v". Is that danger due to such high consumption of 100 A?
    I have read reviews about PSU, but these topics are not usually committed. They are electronics and I don't know anything about electronics. Thank you and sorry for my ignorance.
    I begin to think that 1200 watts are not a good choice for my pc, too many inconveniences to not need so many watts.
    Greetings thank you very much!¡¡

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

100Ax12V=1200W
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Regards¡¡¡
    It means something like this:
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...ulti-rail.html

That's a dead MOSFET on the Motherboard, combined with an ultra high wattage Single Rail PSU (Ultra 1600W IIRC).
    That is what happens if a short on a high power single Rail PSU happens.

Its basically the same issue as when the Power Company would go into your house and it wouldn't be fused. If you overload it, you'd burn down the house as well.
    Its similar here as well, just with lower voltages and higher amperage...

That's what I meant with "if something goes wrong it really goes wrong"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good afternoon¡¡¡

Ufff ... thank you very much, Stefan Payne, ehume and the rest of the classmates who are helping me with their knowledge. Thank you very much.¡¡¡
    I have read that article. It says "So on power supplies up to about 500-600W single rail is safe, because the + 12V OCP is fast enough to be useful (assuming it HAS + 12V OCP). This I think would be what Stefan refers to.
    Honestly, I don't know what to do. Also, after reading this article, I see that I should be more cautious. I do not know what the probability of that happening will be, but I do not see it necessary to assume that risk without having to have a PSU with so many watts.
    I'm thinking, Stefan, ehume and colleagues looking for a PSU of less watts, what do you think?

Thanks again for your help!¡¡

Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Honestly, I don't know what to do.
    Can you post a link to the store? So we can see what's available for which price.