Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What PS should I use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What PSU should I use for this PC Gaming rig?

Greetings everyone. Will you kindly check for me these specs and let me know what PSU should I use for this rig?

PC Build I plan to use / I don't plan to perform overclocking / PC Gaming, Entertainment, Movies, Music, Browsing - Mainly Gaming and lets say that daily usage is somewhere between 8 ~ 14 hours per day

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 - Using 2x200mm & 1x120mm Back (not sure if I can use 140 here as well) & 2x140mm Top / All of them RGB
    Motherboard: - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX - Still not sure if this or wait for B550 from MSI)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Maybe 3600X
    Memory: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 - 2x8 GB / Maybe Crucial brand
    SSD: INTEL 660p 1TB, SSDPEKNW010T8X1
    Graphics: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC - Or maybe from Gigabyte brand
    HDD: Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 2000GB 64MB cache - SATA
    Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Phoebus Solo
    External DVD: Samsung SE-208GB White - Using rarely
    Headphones: V-Moda Crossfade M-100
    CPU Cooler - Noctua or something similar - Not sure if I will need one as I don't plan to overclock anything
    Monitor: SMBX2450 / Want something better in the future - 4K support maybe!?
    Keyboard & Mouse: Gaming with RGB hardware

Living in Slovakia / Eastern Europe
    I have no issues to find almost any PSU. Budget around 100EUR. Please provide 3 options with different brands if possible. I love silent PC.

BTW I am using now this PSU: Fortron 750W AURUM 80+ Modular in my current build. (80+ Gold) and I had 0 problems with it in my 6~7 years of use.

Thanks goes to everyone willing to take time and help me out to decide with which PSU should I go for
    Last edited by Polaris; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Corsair RM550x, be quiet! Straight Power 11 450/550W and Fractal Design ION+ 560W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Corsair RM550x, be quiet! Straight Power 11 450/550W and Fractal Design ION+ 560W.
    Greetings sir and thank you for taking time to provide me the answer. If I may take a few of your time, I was checking power consumption on this webpage: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
    Now I understand, that these kind of calculators tend to prefer higher capacity (it was showing me 650W and even 750W). My question is that under which circumstances would I even need 650W? I just want to be sure that if I would like to upgrade then I want to know limitations going with 550W.
    And next question is just your opinion about that PSU I am using right now. I plan to sell my build and just need to know if it will hold a little longer and maybe know more about this brand and maybe this specific PSU.
    Thank you for your answers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

If you can double the power consumption of the graphics card with overclocking, you will need 650W. For your current build a high quality 450W is fine, it only doesn't exist in case of the Corsair RMx and Fractal Design ION+ series. That's the reason I only recommended the 450W version of the be quiet! Straight Power 10, others simply don't exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i bit the bullet and got an rmx 550w as a replacement for a second pc in the house which has been running on a very old psu.
    and have the 850hxi as my main one. (total overkill but i'm happy)
    if the bq's came with longer warranty i'd have tried one of theirs.

u.s.a.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi guys,

I was checking those PSUs and red some reviews and analyzing, etc. and at the same time came to this PSU: "Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold". Just wanted to make sure if this is also a good choice. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Hi guys,

I was checking those PSUs and red some reviews and analyzing, etc. and at the same time came to this PSU: "Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold". Just wanted to make sure if this is also a good choice. Thanks for your reply.
    Corsair RMx 550w is much better. You should also avoid the Focus Plus as it's known to have issues with high transient loads which your GPU will subject it to and it may cause the unit to shutdown under normal load.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

You won't find anything better around the 100 euro mark, than those three options. They combine quality, with performance and are also very quiet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Tator Tot - OK many thanks for this warning! Appreciate it.

@ -The_Mask- - Also a big thank you to you as well for clarification.

This will hopefully be my final question regarding the PSU as this also caught my eye: "EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3". I saw also a lot of praises to this unit, but maybe you know more if there was some kind of a case like with "Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold" or something which will make it not a good buy. I did not found any other PSU and so to make my final decision, I just want to know your opinion on this one. Thank you and I really appreciate your valuable comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

The EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W isn't a really quiet power supply.