Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU Help/Upgrade Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for reference this is what the site was saying about my hardware https://outervision.com/b/4mltAC
    second site I used was Seasonic calculator that uses outervision (First link) gave me the result of Results: Load Wattage: 762W Recommended PSU Wattage: 812W. Both of these have very detailed inputs

The Cooler master calculator without the input and effect of Overclocking and extra items, fans pumps ect predicts 750watt supply.

I know the 850watt is fine because it has been running the system successfully for ages now, and I assume like you said the draw could only be in the 600watt range but I am just wondering if I start adding more will it still be enough? Would it be bad to have more than I need? If I did keep the new PSU I can sell the current PSU for the exact same price I paid for the new one because I got the new one so cheap.

Also note I have my overclocks all locked, they don't drop or reduce so its a consistent power coming through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Outervision over estimates by almost 2x.

Got to keep in mind that they're supported by PSU vendors that us their backend and affiliate links. The higher the wattage they "recommend" the more money they make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG1990 View Post
    I only switch it on once in morning and off at night.
    You should switch to an external switch and not use the one on the PSU because they aren't to be designed to used constantly. They are more for emergencys. Like your PC is on fire, you can possibly flip the switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What is different between external and internal switch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That's what happens when you mechanically cut the power off to a PSU that's designed to stay in standby.

WHY ARE YOU SWITCHING THE PSU SWITCH OFF EVERY TIME YOU LEAVE THE ROOM?!??!

STOP FLIPPING YOUR GOSH DARN POWER SWITCH ON AND OFF MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY! THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S FOR!!!!!!
    I unplug my home computer (tower, 2x monitors, printer) and also ADSL wifi modem from the wall when not in use, and only plug it in when in use. We've had numerous instances of cable theft and theft of the large "something something bars" from the local mini stations and substations which has caused power spikes. Many people have lost basically everything in their homes that was plugged in, lightbulbs included.

It's not multiple times a day (sometimes I don't even turn my home computer on!) so from a pure curiosity point of view, how much additional wear, very roughly, is it on something like my Corsair CX450M's components?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    What is different between external and internal switch?
    one is integrated into the PSU, if the switch fails (and it will, when used this way), you have to throw away the PSU.

The external is not integrated in the PSU and external, in another accessory.
    For example things like this:
    https://www.amazon.de/Brennenstuhl-P.../dp/B00HHIHNWQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    You should switch to an external switch and not use the one on the PSU because they aren't to be designed to used constantly. They are more for emergencys. Like your PC is on fire, you can possibly flip the switch.
    You're talking about failure of the switch on the PSU itself.

Using another means to kill power to the PSU doesn't prevent the inrush.