Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU Help/Upgrade Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Help/Upgrade Help

Hi, I have a Thermaltake Tough power Grand RGB 850Watt PSU 80Plus Gold.. I seem to be having a issue when I turn the PSU switch at the back of the computer to the ON position in the morning I hear a electric crackly noise for a very quick second (Till the switch has been switched over to the on setting). Ive had this PSU for 6 months. This issue doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 in every 2. Also can happen when switching off at night. I have had no issues what so every though when turning the PC on or running the system at any point. Its only switching PSU off at start or end of day. Anyone got any ideas if this should be taken seriously? Something wrong with the PSU that maybe could develop in the future?

Also on to my other question, Because of this issue I dont trust the PSU so much, I have the feeling one day something could happen. So I went ahead to upgrade the PSU.
    I have purchased an EVGA Supernova 1000 T2 Titanium unit. I feel 1000W is more than I need but for the price I had got it for (Heavily discounted) aswell as being cheaper 30 than the 850W Titanium I felt it a better upgrade. Aswell as maybe future proofing?
    I know a lot of people will say 850W is more than enough or too much anyways. I wanted to get an idea from everyone if this was a good decision as I dont want to gain other issues with this change.

My system is a Intel i9 9900K (Overclocked to 5.1Ghz 1.365v), EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra (Overclocked to 2150Core Clock and 7900Mhz on Mem Clock with Max voltage and power headroom set to max), Asus Maximus formula XI Board, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz Ram, 2x M.2 and 1xSSD.
    I Currently have the CPU and VRM water cooled, One Pump and have 10 thermaltake riing trio fans running on power setting (Increases RPM on load/temp/Gaming ect) and because of this I have 3 fan Controllers. Then there are some other things like gaming mouse keyboard and few other bits plugged in like USBs 3.0 ect.
    I do plan on upgrading my system soon to watercool my graphic card and although no need I am adding in another loop so additional pump ect aswell as more fans in system and a few other upgrades like more SSD's ect.

According to a few websites with this information ive seen different results from anywhere from 600W-850W Usage (depending on how detailed there drop box system is) typically at the 750 Mark and most telling me to get a 850W/1000W PSU as a recommendation.

I wanted to get opinions on this and hopefully advise. If the 1000W is really too much I can send back and get the new 850W Titanium
    Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading, I hope to hear back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG1990 View Post
    Hi, I have a Thermaltake Tough power Grand RGB 850Watt PSU 80Plus Gold.. I seem to be having a issue when I turn the PSU switch at the back of the computer to the ON position in the morning I hear a electric crackly noise for a very quick second (Till the switch has been switched over to the on setting). Ive had this PSU for 6 months. This issue doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 in every 2. Also can happen when switching off at night. I have had no issues what so every though when turning the PC on or running the system at any point. Its only switching PSU off at start or end of day. Anyone got any ideas if this should be taken seriously? Something wrong with the PSU that maybe could develop in the future? [
    That's what happens when you mechanically cut the power off to a PSU that's designed to stay in standby.

WHY ARE YOU SWITCHING THE PSU SWITCH OFF EVERY TIME YOU LEAVE THE ROOM?!??!

The "noise" comes from the in-rush required to recharge the bulk cap every time you drain it by killing power to it. The rate that the bulk cap drains will differ depending on how much hardware you have loading the +5VSB rail while the PSU is in standby. So how often, how long, how loud the noise is is going to vary.

STOP FLIPPING YOUR GOSH DARN POWER SWITCH ON AND OFF MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY! THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S FOR!!!!!!

Also on to my other question, Because of this issue I dont trust the PSU so much, I have the feeling one day something could happen. So I went ahead to upgrade the PSU.
    I have purchased an EVGA Supernova 1000 T2 Titanium unit. I feel 1000W is more than I need but for the price I had got it for (Heavily discounted) aswell as being cheaper 30 than the 850W Titanium I felt it a better upgrade. Aswell as maybe future proofing?
    Now turn around and return that PSU and use the money to buy something nice for your significant other because you don't need it.

Sorry for the all caps, large font and excess !!!

I'm not trying to be demeaning. Just silly.

For some reason, I've been seeing more and more "complaints" about this "problem" lately and don't know why all of the sudden there's a larger influx of people using the main power switch and an every day on/off switch.

Sometimes it makes sense. With so many motherboards having onboard RGB these days, that can stay on even when the PC is off, I can understand wanting to kill the power. But there's always a setting in the BIOS to turn those lights off. The switch on the back is to kill the power to the entire system in the event that you're going to have it sit for a long time or move it to another room, building, etc.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:21 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

KevinG1990 (4 Weeks Ago), rgbodosk (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your reply, Sorry I think there is a misunderstanding, I only switch it on once in morning and off at night. I switch it off at night so the RGB doesn't keep the room illumined on shutdown. I never switch it off during the day and especially when leaving the room.

Its fine I really appreciate your comments and reply! That's why I am here.
    About the upgrade, I was lead to believe with everything I was running 600-750W? I could be wrong. I thought that may be to near the 850W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will do as you suggest about turning the RGB off in the Bios and PC settings and leaving the switch untouched! Appreciate the comment so thanks for that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

I seem to be having a issue when I turn the PSU switch at the back of the computer to the ON position in the morning I hear a electric crackly noise for a very quick second (Till the switch has been switched over to the on setting). Ive had this PSU for 6 months. This issue doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 in every 2.

The startup currents are very large as the primary capacitor needs to be filled, some times you catch the AC cycle at a low (no crackle) and sometimes high; by turning it off you are reducing the life of the CMOS battery. I actually like power supplies with no switch, but I'm one who does not overclock or RGB.

Good to talk with a fellow Brit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

KevinG1990 (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gotta say I am a total noob, when it comes to PSU's ive read bits here and there but on different topics so in the regard I have a lot to learn. As yourself and jon have mentioned about the capacitors draining and being filled that was something I actually never considered or knew about so from now on i will stop with using the switch as a off button at night and change the settings in the bios as jon had suggested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Thank you for your reply, Sorry I think there is a misunderstanding, I only switch it on once in morning and off at night. I switch it off at night so the RGB doesn't keep the room illumined on shutdown. I never switch it off during the day and especially when leaving the room.

Now remember.... You don't have to switch off the on-board RGB completely. There should be a setting that will turn the lights off while the PC is in standby, but turn the lights back on when the PC is out of standby. That should only leave you with one light on and that's the LED to tell you that the board is in standby. If that one LED bothers you, your best bet is to just cover it up with a piece of electrical tape.

About the upgrade, I was lead to believe with everything I was running 600-750W? I could be wrong. I thought that may be to near the 850W
    600W might be pushing it because of the transient spikes that video card is capable of. Most quality 650W PSUs should be fine. But a 750W is more than adequate. You're not near the 850W capability of that Thermaltake PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know 100% there is a setting in the Asus Aura GUI software to choose what it does on standby, im sure i tried a long time ago and maybe i didn't set it correctly or didn't save. I wil give this a try again to test it though the GUI but will also look into the BIOS if this doesn't quickly fix it. Also the single LED would be fine. Its just because i have my desk in my Bedroom that i was originally seeing so much light even on standby and in turn presumed and made the wrong decisions on my own part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    600W might be pushing it because of the transient spikes that video card is capable of. Most quality 650W PSUs should be fine. But a 750W is more than adequate. You're not near the 850W capability of that Thermaltake PSU.
    That's good to hear that actually the 850 is more than Enough.

Although the 1000W is extremely more than enough it seems, Is it something to consider to even have for examples future proofing, adding more things into the system and possibly another GPU?
    I must note that i paid 120 for this PSU which is usually 220-250, It was extremely reduced in price so i thought it was a great deal as well as it being Titanium and i know from your website received a very very good review also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Now remember.... You don't have to switch off the on-board RGB completely. There should be a setting that will turn the lights off while the PC is in standby, but turn the lights back on when the PC is out of standby. That should only leave you with one light on and that's the LED to tell you that the board is in standby. If that one LED bothers you, your best bet is to just cover it up with a piece of electrical tape.
    Just to update on this one and for anyone else wanting to know, I have changed the setting in the Asus Aura software to turn everything off at shut down and it has worked. All lights of the motherboard is off when the PC powers down as well as the lights on the corsair keyboard and razer mouse which is great. Everything is Off. I wont be touching that PSU switch