Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace EVGA G3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Replace EVGA G3?

I have read recently that the EVGA superNOVA G3 series power supplies are not recommended and should be avoided or replaced if already owned. Unfortunately I had already owned a G3 650W PSU for over a year when I discovered this information. I have no problem with the idea of replacing the unit for something with better protection ratings (OTP & OPP), but do want to replace it unless necessary. I honestly do not know a lot about PSU's and the more I tried to read into the different features from testing reviews it felt like the less I understood and this is why I am reaching out for help.

My Current specs:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (stock)
    Asus x470 Prime Pro
    Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8) DDR4 3000 MHz
    Nvidia 2080 TI FE (stock)
    WD Blue 500 GB M.2 2280
    WD Blue 1 TB M.2 2280
    3 x 140mm case fan
    1 x 120mm case fan
    EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W

Any recommendations, insight, and/or feedback is greatly appreciated, thank-you for taking the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

G3 are good power supplies. Instead of replacing the PSU I recommend to change your reading habits and select other sites.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (10-11-2019), Jon Gerow (10-11-2019), Pinky_Nill (10-11-2019), rgbodosk (10-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    G3 are good power supplies. Instead of replacing the PSU I recommend to change your reading habits and select other sites.
    Thank-you for the response. I stumbled upon this information about the G3 in the LTT PSU tier list threads. It was very confusing because in the latest version of this tier list the G3 falls under the B tier (Budget) and on the advanced version of this same list it falls under D tier (Not Recommended for any Use). But it does seem like that forum in general has a lot of conflicting information, even from the moderators. I read the Jonny Guru review on the G3 750 and nothing from that review led me to believe that the G3 was an inferior product. In Aris Mpitziopoulos' review on the G3 650 he mentions that he would like to see improved efficiency on the 5VSB rail and, what he states, is the over-power protection being set to high. It seems like though at the end of Aris' review his biggest complaint was the fan curve, as a headphone user this really is not an issue for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky_Nill View Post
    I stumbled upon this information about the G3 in the LTT PSU tier list threads.
    I am so sorry.

I actually used to spend a great deal of time there because there was so much mis-information, I felt obligated to help out; including telling people that the tier list is not good. But alas, I am but a fire fighter with a squirt gun. There's just far too much ignorance there for one person to combat, people over there want to focus on the minutia instead. Anything that's not perfect isn't good enough... so I've given up... for the second time.

The G3 is loud. Yes.

+5VSB can be more efficient. Sure.

And OPP is a bit high, but the likely hood that you'll need your 650W power supply to put out 800W is slim to none.

The G3 isn't a bad PSU. The G2 is actually better. But that doesn't make the G3 bad. I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a new one, but if you already have one, you shouldn't throw it away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Pinky_Nill (10-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I stumbled upon this information about the G3 in the LTT PSU tier list threads. It was very confusing because in the latest version of this tier list the G3 falls under the B tier (Budget) and on the advanced version of this same list it falls under D tier (Not Recommended for any Use).
    Ignore those lists. Anyone who tries telling you that the EVGA G3 is equivalent to the EVGA N1 should be ignored.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotty For This Useful Post:

Pinky_Nill (10-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I am so sorry.

I actually used to spend a great deal of time there because there was so much mis-information, I felt obligated to help out; including telling people that the tier list is not good. But alas, I am but a fire fighter with a squirt gun. There's just far too much ignorance there for one person to combat, people over there want to focus on the minutia instead. Anything that's not perfect isn't good enough... so I've given up... for the second time.

The G3 is loud. Yes.

+5VSB can be more efficient. Sure.

And OPP is a bit high, but the likely hood that you'll need your 650W power supply to put out 800W is slim to none.

The G3 isn't a bad PSU. The G2 is actually better. But that doesn't make the G3 bad. I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a new one, but if you already have one, you shouldn't throw it away.
    Thank-you for the reply and providing some peace of mind! Also noticed in a Do not buy the G3 it will kill your system LTT specific thread you were tagged and asked for your thoughts which you roughly replied "I don't have one". Before your reply on my own question I simply assumed you agreed with the post but now I realize you probably didn't want to provide any input much like people don't typically go around kicking hornets nests.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky_Nill For This Useful Post:

Orion (10-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky_Nill View Post
    I have read recently that the EVGA superNOVA G3 series power supplies are not recommended and should be avoided or replaced if already owned.
    I agree with the first part but not the second.

With the EVGA G3 you might want a powermeter to keep an eye on the power consumption.
    Over here in Europe the Brennstuhl BM231E isn't the worst choice thoug its said to sometimes show double the power consumption.

And that's the only real Problem with the G3 -> bad protection. And, as said, its rather loud.
    Electrically its fine.

But since you already have it, you can use it. Should you buy it again? No.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Pinky_Nill (10-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It's too bad that the list itself, imho, had some serious potential! Effort was made to keep it current, it was long, pretty much complete for the West, well-structured... as for being objective and justified, you can't really go full technical with these "tier" lists because tiers are either subjective but clear or objective but you'll be extremely Electronics Engineering-ly sadistic to your unexperienced readers if you choose this strategy... and your list will risk becoming a mess... or an abandoned pain in the bVtt... subjective lists are at this risk already, after all.

The supplementary articles are pure clickbait though. "DONOTNOTN"T BUY ITS WI'LL EXPLODES!!!1"
    0th world problems we're talkin' here.
    Is the S12II/M12II/especially higher wattage M12II Evo (different platform) a grenade? No. Oh, and it's not the sole group reg unit on the market or, if I'm not mistaken, on the very list in question. And not the sole unit with missing protections.
    Has the G3 been a p!ss poor performer/a grenade for more than ~2% of its users? No.
    Why is the B3 in the same tier if it objectively had much more explosive quirks for some time than the G3? No. Idea. (Good thing they pulled that thread though :P Looks like the B3 is EOL anyway)
    Does an old Focus that is actually ran as per AMD's / Nvidia's GPU recommendation (definitely not 550W for Vega 64) hit the ceiling with those spiky GPU beasts? Apparently, not very often.
    Does the same 550Watter do the same in the same conditions? Apparently, not always.
    Do newer Focuses ripple within rated load? Apparently, no.
    Wish they made those for Aerocools But they likely won't.
    /rant, as always
    Fly on the wings of love corporate worshipping

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven Rampkin For This Useful Post:

Spotty (10-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rampkin View Post
    Is the S12II/M12II/especially higher wattage M12II Evo (different platform) a grenade? No. Oh, and it's not the sole group reg unit on the market or, if I'm not mistaken, on the very list in question. And not the sole unit with missing protections.
    That's not the reason for the S12II/M12II under 750W to be rated that bad.
    The Reason is the high price with bad protections and high fan RPM.
    a group regulated unit, without OCP on 5V/3,3V is a big nono - especially in the 50 (or more) range!!

Combine that with Seasonic fans that still recommend the S12II/M12II over, lets say Corsair CX, be quiet Pure Power and other units...
    Combine that with the age of almost 10 years. It came out in 2010!!
    We have 2019. It should have been replaced in 2015 at the latest 2016.

The S12II-Bronze is listed for 48, a Corsair VS550 ~42.
    The Corsair is vastly superior in every aspect over the Seasonic!

For 48 you can get decent quality units with DC-DC and decent protection, though with a bit lower wattage (400-500W)...
    TO get that in perspective, in electrical performance the S12II-Bronze is similar to other, "System Integrator" Level PSU such as Cooler Master Master Watt Lite, Xilence Performance C and the likes of that...

So its a combination of the age, electrical performance and the price for the unit in many western countrys. That is why it was "downrated". The S12II-Bronze is a 40 PSU at most, not ~50...
    The M12II-EVO is even worse (the good ones with 750 and 850W don't seem to be available) at around 60 - for wich you can get something like a Kolink Enclave for example...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rampkin View Post
    Does an old Focus that is actually ran as per AMD's / Nvidia's GPU recommendation (definitely not 550W for Vega 64) hit the ceiling with those spiky GPU beasts? Apparently, not very often.
    Does the same 550Watter do the same in the same conditions? Apparently, not always.
    Do newer Focuses ripple within rated load? Apparently, no.
    You miss the more important GPU that caused issues with the Focus: ASUS GTX970 Strix. THAT is much more interesting as its not a high power Card...

Ripple at overload with newer Focus is around 250mV or so, here a Review:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F3911-2.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

You mean the minor rail ocp is more important in group regulateds? why?