Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Keep old great PSU or buy New Cheap?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kaunas/Klaipeda, Lithuania
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    37
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    AFAIK the CM GX wasn't all that great back in the day to begin with. It has worked noble and inconspicious for you since 2011 but some reviewers would beg to disagree (the mileage may vary wildly between reviewers and "mortal" users, though...)

    Otherwise the VS and the Straight Power seem to be a whole league or two apart, the Straight being a winner even against the newest revision VSes. Just keep an eye on your overclocks.
    How the System Power 9 can be better than Straight Power 10 is beyond me, sorry. (Truth be told though, no one explicitly said that...)
    Fly on the wings of love corporate worshipping

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rampkin View Post
    AFAIK the CM GX wasn't all that great back in the day to begin with. It has worked noble and inconspicious for you since 2011 but some reviewers would beg to disagree (the mileage may vary wildly between reviewers and "mortal" users, though...)

    Otherwise the VS and the Straight Power seem to be a whole league or two apart...
    Guess I was lucky then, best not chance it again.

    @Stefan Payne;159735

    Thanks guys, sound advice.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rampkin View Post
    How the System Power 9 can be better than Straight Power 10 is beyond me, sorry. (Truth be told though, no one explicitly said that...)
    Question is: Are we talking about new units or used??

    And how long was the Straight Power in store??

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Ready to Purchase now, what to go for under 50.

    Ok So I'm back.
    PayDay has come and looking now to buy my PSU.
    So been looking for under 50 (that's really stretching the budget but what I can afford)

    So many reviews and contradictions all over the web, so I've decided to ask here again as my main source of trusted information.

    Here's the list of candidates (I'm guessing 400W is a minimum):
    Antec NE550M
    BeQuiet 400 W Straight 10
    Cooler Master 400W MasterWatt Lite
    Corsair VS550
    Corsair CX550
    EVGA 600 W1
    Seasonic M12II-EVO 520W

    Any other suggestions for a PSU even lower wattage but able to power up my rig with some head room for overclocking.

    PC Specs again:
    i7 9700K, ATX motherboard, 1x m.2, 1x 3.5" 7k Drive. 2x case fans and 1xRTX 2060 (not super)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,614
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    191
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

    Default

    be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W and Corsair CX550 are the only two worth considering. The be quiet is a really quiet power supply and the Corsair has the better performance.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusUK View Post
    Here's the list of candidates (I'm guessing 400W is a minimum):
    Antec NE550M
    BeQuiet 400 W Straight 10
    Cooler Master 400W MasterWatt Lite
    Corsair VS550
    Corsair CX550
    EVGA 600 W1
    Seasonic M12II-EVO 520W
    I don't get why people would consider the worst of the worst, that can even destroy your hardware due to voltages out of spec and lacking protections, are loud as heck. And "Wapanese" Caps don't matter in this price either. You want good electronics performance and protection first before caps are vaguely a thing to think about. Besides: haven't seen many issues with caps lately.

    Anyway, as Mask said, there are two units that are worth considering, the rest is "System Integrator" stuff, wich no end user should consider...

    What is important here is voltage regulation -> independant!
    Most of them don't have that and thus are pretty bad or just shouldn't be considered...

    If people try to talk you into something other than the be quiet and CX, they are wrong. Those are the only ones that are somewhat decent.
    Though I'd still recommend to save 10 more and get a Bitfenix Formula.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    If people try to talk you into something other than the be quiet and CX, they are wrong. Those are the only ones that are somewhat decent.
    Though I'd still recommend to save 10 more and get a Bitfenix Formula.
    I did have a look for the Formula however they 20 more unfortunately pushing well beyond my price bracket.

    Ok so that's it, CX it is.

    Thanks guys.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •