Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: £50 GBP budget / 2019 / best QUIETish PSU for my £ (Main daily rig /light gaming)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    I seem to recall non-modular Seasonic PSUs for sale at Newegg. They ran 300-350W.
    Fanless?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

No. The fanless Seasonics were 400-460-520w. But they are officially EOL. The current fanless is 600w, I believe.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

hello_there_123 (10-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

My line of reasoning, which may be wrong, is that 600W fanless is pushing the envelope; I'm after longevity, so perhaps by being a little more conservative one might have room for some hefty heatsinks.

I don't care for tidy wires or flashing lights, but I do seek something that will just keep-on-goin year after year.

If the fan is the weak point then one response is to do without one.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 10-05-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    My line of reasoning, which may be wrong, is that 600W fanless is pushing the envelope; I'm after longevity, so perhaps by being a little more conservative one might have room for some hefty heatsinks.

I don't care for tidy wires or flashing lights, but I do seek something that will just keep-on-goin year after year.

If the fan is the weak point then one response is to do without one.
    You and I agree on what is important. But Seasonic has retired all but their 600w fanless, according to their website, and regardless whether we like it or not. The 460w I have (it is put away now in its original packaging) was an X-Gold. It did yeoman work for years.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (10-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The difference is minimal, but since the Cybenetics reports and Aris's review focus on the minutia, so do the readers.
    I usually wouldn’t care, but in this case the user specifically wants the quietest option(s).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    I usually wouldn’t care, but in this case the user specifically wants the quietest option(s).
    Right. But the CX isn't engineered as a quiet PSU. It just "happens to be quiet". If someone is looking for a quiet PSU, they should look at something that's marketed as such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

The CX is OKish, but the 900rpm at idle are noticable if you live in a quiet region and have a quiet room.

If its marketed as quiet or not doesn't matter because some comapnies aren't that honest or have a different definition of "quiet" than we have for some reason.
    For Example the 650W Super Flower Platinum King with the claimed "120mm quiet fan". Well, fan might be - if the PSU had a good fan controller...

So you have to read reviews and look for either fan RPM or noise measurement at normal room temperature (around 25°C)...
    If the fan doesn't have some annoying motor/bearing noise up to 500rpm (120mm) is pretty good, ~700rpm is acceptable (120mm), with 135mm fans or bigger you want lower fan RPM...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Stefan Payne Thanks for an interesting suggestion (Why not spend a bit more for a Bitfenix Formula??)
    - I wasn't aware of that model and it looks pretty good... however I already decided to spend a bit more - when moving from £30 to £50!
    £60 ends up doubling my original budget (seeking to compromise between extreme value and quality) My current build cost aim has dropped to £400 (on track) - so at £50 I'm already over 12% build cost on PSU!

In the end I have bought the 400w BeQuiet Pure Power 11 - as yet unreceived... due to budget constraints I have now ended up with the following build

Ryzen 3 1200, MSI B450m gaming plus, 400w BeQuiet Pure Power 11, 2 x 4gb 2666 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix, Kingston A400 240gb SSD + Reused Seagate 7.2k 1TB
    and likely to buy an RX 570 (as now stupidly cheap for 4gb models here, £120-£140) which I HOPE to underclock/undervolt marginally

Using 4-5 different online PSU calculators I have ended up with estimates from about 260W to 390W MAX PSU draw - and always overestimating when options presented themselves (eg. adding in 3 x 120mm fans, 2 x USB 2.0 devices , 1 x USB 3.0 device, increasing CPU to 3.8ghz and voltage to 1.15v - etc etc - even adding RX 580) Trying to OVERgauge my needs.

I'm hoping this PSU will be enough - what should I do / be looking out for to test stability???
    Last edited by Doonican; 10-09-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doonican View Post
    Ryzen 3 1200, MSI B450m gaming plus, 400w BeQuiet Pure Power 11, 2 x 4gb 2666 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix, Kingston A400 240gb SSD + Reused Seagate 7.2k 1TB
    and likely to buy an RX 570 (as now stupidly cheap for 4gb models here, £120-£140) which I HOPE to underclock/undervolt marginally
    I highly recommend you look for DDR4-2800 or 3000 instead. Those are usually only a couple of bucks more.
    As for the CPU: 2200G is better, maybe 2400G, because you can omit the GPU for a while.
    The SSD has a very bad name, might want to look for alternatives.
    Sadly you have to get an SSD, and going down to 120GB doesn't make much sense either...

Using 4-5 different online PSU calculators I have ended up with estimates from about 260W to 390W MAX PSU draw - and always overestimating when options presented themselves (eg. adding in 3 x 120mm fans, 2 x USB 2.0 devices , 1 x USB 3.0 device, increasing CPU to 3.8ghz and voltage to 1.15v - etc etc - even adding RX 580) Trying to OVERgauge my needs.
    How many of those came out to .outervision? That one is one of the oldest and the worst as it grossly overestimates power consumption.
    In general:
    They are worse and dumber than you with a piece of paper!
    Just adding the TDP of GPU and CPU is closer to reality, for the most part, than those things.
    Exception is higher end Intel CPUs...

Anyway, 250-300W nominal power seems about right.
    When I had the RX480 (Power Color) my System (VSync 60fps) was around 250-300W usually.
    390W is VEGA territory...
    I'm hoping this PSU will be enough - what should I do / be looking out for to test stability???
    y
    Yes, the PSU will be enough!
    I used the Pure Power 10/400W CM with my 1700X on the shitty ASUS X370-F (because +15-20W higher POwer than MSI B450I) with the Powercolor Red Devil 480 for a while...
    There shouldn't be an issue.

Since all parts are new, you don't have a set of known good parts, do you?
    So every problem that might occor is more likely to be either Memory or Motherboard, maybe GPU...