Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 GBP budget / 2019 / best QUIETish PSU for my (Main daily rig /light gaming)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 50 GBP budget / 2019 / best QUIETish PSU for my (Main daily rig /light gaming)

Firstly I'd like to say a big thanks for a great resource, and pretty funny reviews!

I'm in the middle of buying parts for a new build, first in... um 15 years? Its been a while. Anyway after reading several reviews and discussions on your site, I decided that despite having a TIGHT budget, cheaping out on the PSU was going to have to be rethought. So although you might look at the title of this thread and think - Another budget builder looking to cheap out, thats not entirely true. My total build budget is 475 - and 425 is alloctated. So I have 50 to play for - and I want a quiet build as its in the living room.

Build parts bought:
    Ryzen 3 1200 (50)
    MSI B450m gaming plus (70)
    Kingston A400 240gb SSD (30)

Further purchases planned:
    16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX, PC4-25600 (3200) - CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 (85)
    Antec VSK10 (GTIN: 0761345800297) or Kolink Citadel case (https://www.ebuyer.com/911289-kolink...lack-ca-03k-kk) (<40) or Antec P5
    GPU 150 budget: 1650ti / or new Radeon 5500 XT / or if upgrade GPU in future GTX 1660Ti (Black Friday!?) / Or if cheap out 2nd hand Radeon 570 (if I can find quiet one)
    - so ideally 75W but possibly 125W MAX TDP GPU

Judging from calculators /and research I'm thinking CPU = 65W max, GPU = 125W max, Everything else (Mobo / Ram / SSDx1 / HDDx1 / unused DVD drive) 100W max?? So 280W max plus what 100W headroom for spikes? 380W?

Originally I had planned to buy a 450W/500W PSU for 30, but then I saw how they were laughed at here and on Tomshardware (how I found your site). So I settled on 50 budget.

My ideas are:

1) Just seen a Seasonic 450 Watt FOCUS Gold Semi Modular ATX PSU SSR-450FM (GTIN 4711173873372) for 50 on sale

2) IF I can get away with 400w??? 400W Be Quiet! PURE POWER 11, 80 PLUS Gold PSU (GTIN 4260052186336) for 50

3) Or a be quiet System Power 9 500 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU (GTIN 4260052186053) for 50
    4) Otherwise I can get a CORSAIR CX450 ATX PSU - 450W for 45

5) Any other suggestions for quality, quiet and 50!

Kind of listed in order of preference - although tbh, I prefer the Be QUIET's for Noise performance, having just seen a few Noisy fan complaints in forums about the Seasonic FOCUS Gold models. But as its possibly a bargain and better PSU - worth a punt?

I look forward to any feedback and thoughts... I'm kinda close to pushing buy on the FOCUS Gold in case it dissapears from sale soon! Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Pure Power 11 is probably your best option for low noise, the Corsair is alright, but only if you get a CWT-built one, the GW built models are louder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

Doonican (10-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    Pure Power 11 is probably your best option for low noise, the Corsair is alright, but only if you get a CWT-built one, the GW built models are louder.
    Thanks for your input - Yes the Corsair units seem a lottery - what wholesaler is going to check that for me!?

So I presume you think that a) 400W is sufficient for me and b) That the Focus Gold isn't bringing much more to the party? I can't find much info on noise levels for that partiular 450W Focus Gold model (note its not the Gold PLUS), but considering the 7 year warranty (Vs 3 years for BQ! 11) and presumably higher build quality and the extra 50W headroom - its a tough choice.

FWIW - I don't need complete silence, I just want a PC thats not much louder than general background noise from a meter or two away. I presume that whatever GPU I end up with, will likely be louder at load, even tucked away inside my case.

In fact looking at the Ryzen 3's Wraith Stealth cooler I have as stock, this is reported as hitting 37.5 dB at load (39 Max) and 33/34 at idle (Tomshardware). Of course, if this is a problem, I might consider an aftermarket cooler - Artic Freezer or somesuch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post

I can understand the virtues of double sourcing, but in this case it does lead to a bit of a dilemma.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I can understand the virtues of double sourcing, but in this case it does lead to a bit of a dilemma.
    The difference is minimal, but since the Cybenetics reports and Aris's review focus on the minutia, so do the readers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The difference is minimal, but since the Cybenetics reports and Aris's review focus on the minutia, so do the readers.
    Hi Jon, Anyone have thoughts on the Focus Gold model? SSR-450FM 450W Seasonic FOCUS Gold?
    I think you guys reviewed the PLUS models in relatively recent times, there is a dearth of info on the non-plus

Is it going to be a reliable supply, I seem to have stumbled across some BSOD / GPU issues a year or two back, and some folks complaining about the fan noise (but others not at all) - but am mostly interested (beyond low-reasonable noise levels) about buying something reliable that will last itself and help my other components last longer also, eg. 5 years or so with daily use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My decision now is choosing between the
    1) Be Quiet 400W Pure Power 11 80+
    2) Gold vs SSR-450FM 450W Seasonic FOCUS Gold

Using the Bequiet PSUCalculator its saying 261W max required for my system (using Nvidia 1060 - 120wTDP)
    Do I need the extra 50W headroom / or is it a better PSU? If not then I guess I'll buy the 400W PP11
    They are the same price, 50, top of budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Why not spend a bit more for a Bitfenix Formula??

IN General: Seasonic tends to be on the louder to loud side. And the Foucus has some issues. Seasonic officially admitted to VEGA and the ASUS GTX970 Strix.
    The latter is more worrysome than the former as its not that high graphics card...

so the Pure Power 11 seems like the better choice, because of a decent quality fan with low noise, rather low fan RPM throughout the load.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Doonican (10-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post

In the case of ASUS video cards they have a special CSM (Corporate Stable Model) line which is one way to have variations on the same unit; for me extended longevity is a big selling point.

The fan is a weak point for both power supplies and video cards so a fanless unit was most appealing.

Is there a market for say a 350W ATX fanless supply (non-modular) for the working PC (as opposed to gamming).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 10-05-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    . . . Is there a market for say a 350W ATX fanless supply (non-modular) for the working PC (as opposed to gamming).
    I seem to recall non-modular Seasonic PSUs for sale at Newegg. They ran 300-350W.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold