Thread: I5 4460 becoming unusually hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I5 4460 becoming unusually hot.

i have an i5 4460 with a gigabyte b85 motherboard.The amount of ram is 12gb and i use a hyper tx3 cooler for the cpu.

Few days ago,i replaced my i5 4460 with a i7 4790k that i got from someone i know-upon installing this cpu,the pc booted up just fine,but the trouble started whenever i put it under some load even for 2-3 mins-its temperature became way too hot(around 85-96 C,sometimes even touching 99 C) and so it started to experience thermal throttling.I assumed this was happening as the cooler had not been mounted properly-so i removed and reseated it and even applied some new thermal paste but unfortunately,that did nothing to solve the heating issue-the cpu temps still soared to 90 C or higher whenever it was under load.

So i thought the cpu was probably a bad one-then i removed it and put my i5 4460 back in-but to my utter surprise,this cpu,which had previously never manifested any heating issues,began to heat up just like the 4790k everytime i ran something(such as a game or benchmark)that was cpu intensive-this was really odd as i've had this cpu for quite a while and earlier its temp rarely exceeded 60-65 C even when the cpu was under load for a long time.At this point I tried another cooler but the issue still persisted.

Truth be told,this is a really strange issue and i cant figure out why would two cpus start heating up like that for no apparent reason-is it possible that there is some issue with the motherboard?Could the defective i7 4790k have broken something in the mobo that's causing the heating issue even for the i5 4460 which had never overheated earlier?

Can a defective or damaged motherboard cause such heating issues?Should i send the mobo for Rma(as its still under warranty)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssm002 View Post
    Can a defective or damaged motherboard cause such heating issues?Should i send the mobo for Rma(as its still under warranty)?
    Absolutely.