Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS: Are Online, Pure Sine Wave and Surge Protection Needed in 2019? (And Other Qns)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Example: This UPS has 680 Joules surge suppression: https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...ect/P-SMT1000C

This surge strip is 790 Joules: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00TP1C1UC

The TrippLite IsoBar has up to 3840J protection; there is a 230V version, but it is only 680J

The Tripplite is actually very clever and reflects out much of a surge pulse (an example where impedance mismatch is a good thing); I like mine so much that when the neon lights started flickering with age, I replaced the switches. I now have over 20 around the house, even for the fridge, furnace and washing machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
    Using/Importing (Used/Refurbished) UPSes

If you do get an old UPS locally and new batteries are needed, you might want to be adventurous and try lithium ferro phosphate replacements.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2. That's the same as your AVR question. Both topologies will buck and boost.

3. You listed it as a Seasonic M12II EVO, so I don't think you'll have an issue.

7. Why would it or would it? It would. Better or worse? Depends on if you're comparing apples to apples.

Example: This UPS has 680 Joules surge suppression: https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...ect/P-SMT1000C

This surge strip is 790 Joules: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00TP1C1UC
    2. Thanks, I didn't realise I was asking the same thing back there

3. I see, I wasn't sure what in the spec sheet of the PSU to look out for though; I am considering a change in PSU too based on what I read here but perhaps I will address that in a separate thread

7. Actually that comparision is precisely what confused me. It appears to me that based on these numbers alone the surge protector will do a better job at surge protection, but yet an UPS is often more recommended over a surge protector for surge protection and other benefits. Why can't we daisy chain both types of devices to get the best of both worlds? (i.e. UPS for the battery backup, surge protector for surge protection)

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    If you do get an old UPS locally and new batteries are needed, you might want to be adventurous and try lithium ferro phosphate replacements.
    May I know what kind of advantages does this give over standard batteries? Am also surprised that UPSes don't force the usage of proprietary batteries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am also wondering if my focus on the UPS is correct; it appears to me that I want them to act as electrical protection devices (e.g. from surges and from brownouts) aside from just data protection devices (e.g. from improper shutdowns due to blackouts), but I am unsure if this is the right approach to what I want

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Why can't we daisy chain both types of devices to get the best of both worlds? (i.e. UPS for the battery backup, surge protector for surge protection)
    You can!

I would just put the strip before the UPS as the switch over on the UPS may trigger the breaker in some strips if you were to plug the strip into the UPS.

I did that once on a PBX I installed once. They were not happy when the power went out and so did their phone system even though they had a UPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can!

I would just put the strip before the UPS as the switch over on the UPS may trigger the breaker in some strips if you were to plug the strip into the UPS.

I did that once on a PBX I installed once. They were not happy when the power went out and so did their phone system even though they had a UPS.
    Ah, I see. Not sure why UPS manufacturers insist on not allowing such daisy chaining. And that PBX must have been a puzzling experience for sure; I would have done the same too cos it seems to make more sense to have the UPS first before the strip to let the AVR of the UPS help regulate voltage for the entire strip

So as long I set it such that I don't overload the wall socket (i.e. don't go over 3000W or 13A) I should be fine? Cos that UPS is going to have at least one PC and networking gear attached to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Not sure why UPS manufacturers insist on not allowing such daisy chaining.

The surge protector may reflect back the high harmonics in a square wave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The surge protector may reflect back the high harmonics in a square wave.
    Does this apply even with pure sine wave UPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I would say not, but I have been wrong before.

But I would still follow the Guru's advice and put the surge protector before the UPS
    Last edited by ashiekh; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say not, but I have been wrong before.

But I would still follow the Guru's advice and put the surge protector before the UPS
    Sounds like a plan to me. I think I will put what needs to have power in blackouts into the UPS, while the rest can go to the other sockets of the surge protector strip?