Thread: Motherboard CPU power connector question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Motherboard CPU power connector question.

I just installed an X470 motherboard in a new PC build which is equipped with both 8pin and 4pin CPU power connectors. The PSU I have came with only one 8pin CPU power cable. The computer runs just fine with only the 8pin CPU power connected and have an 8pin 4x4 cable ordered but it got me to wondering if the 4pin CPU power is necessary and I'm curious if the lack of power to the 4pin CPU connector is really a problem. I suspect the 4pin is only needed when the computer is under a heavy load or running a high power CPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

What "PSU"??
    But generally you don't need more than 1x8pin.
    Well, with a 3950x it might be different. But otherwise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

What PSU and is the 4+4 on order made for this PSU or some sort of adapter?

But typically, you only need the 8-pin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power supply is a Corsair TX650M semi-modular. The 8pin CPU power lead along with the 24pin cable is hard wired from the PSU. I ordered an 8pin to 4x4 cable which will plug directly into an 8pin port on the PSU then I can split the 4x4 connector to plug into the 4pin connector on the MB. Maybe I don't need to worry about the extra 4pin connector on the MB since the system has been running on the 8pin only connector without a hiccup for about a month now. But that was kinda my question do I need to provide power to the 4pin MB CPU connector or just run with the 8pin CPU connector? The MB is an MSI X470 Gaming Plus just in case it matters. I asked this question of MSI and never received any response. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
    The power supply is a Corsair TX650M semi-modular. The 8pin CPU power lead along with the 24pin cable is hard wired from the PSU. I ordered an 8pin to 4x4 cable which will plug directly into an 8pin port on the PSU then I can split the 4x4 connector to plug into the 4pin connector on the MB. Maybe I don't need to worry about the extra 4pin connector on the MB since the system has been running on the 8pin only connector without a hiccup for about a month now. But that was kinda my question do I need to provide power to the 4pin MB CPU connector or just run with the 8pin CPU connector? The MB is an MSI X470 Gaming Plus just in case it matters. I asked this question of MSI and never received any response. Thanks!
    By "8-pin to 4+4-pin", you mean a Corsair Type 4 to 4+4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what a "Corsair Type 4 to 4+4" is. The cable has an 8pin connector which plugs into an 8pin output on the PSU to a 4+4 split connector. Here is the link on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1BK-00RR-00...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

The Corsair Type 4 4+4 pins EPS connector is the one that came with the power supply. You need a Type 4 cable from Corsair, because others have a different pin-out and will kill the motherboard and/or CPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    The Corsair Type 4 4+4 pins EPS connector is the one that came with the power supply. You need a Type 4 cable from Corsair, because others have a different pin-out and will kill the motherboard and/or CPU.

This and losing cables is enough for me to not purchase a modular power supply; that and connectors that can fail.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:59 AM.