Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wich one of these 3 PSU would you recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Good lord! Upgrades exist, as does futureproofing (who knows? AMD RTG still loves 'em wattz, top of the line Intel too). The 550W Formula (winky winky!) is brilliant, don't get me wrong, especially at 69 Eur it's going at where I live. But different hardware has different appetites. I'm 1000% positive muh 1700 + 580 rig isn't hitting anywhere near the legendarily low OPP limit of the Focus+ Gold 550W "Rev.1" (release). Yet I'd be a bit nervous putting a 5700 XT in there, even more nervous swapping the 1700 for a 3950X, and straight up praying I won't be met with shutdown galore after finishing it off with a Vega 64. Works for some (even on 450W models in distinct scenarios!) but not guaranteed in any way. Even with an undervolt. RTXes ain't too economical either compared to Pascal, as far as I know.
    TL;DR 550W is good for their purpose but anything above isn't automatically evil. It depends on the tasks, future plans and unit quality. The given options, i m h o ! , aren't bad in the slightest.

On that note, a shameless question plug :P Just hypothetically. If I were to do a *bit* (hah!) of an upgrade in the near future, e.g. 3900X + X570 mobo + 5700 XT... the Gigabyte G750H is at 78 Euros here rn. Yay or nay? Store links for your convenience https://www.1a.lt/c/kompiuteriu-komp...blokai-psu/2vm http://www.skytech.lt/kompiuteriu-ko...86_85_300.html Good luck guys & gals, viel Glück Herr Stefan
    (betting this could also be of some help to the ever-emerging lurkers around here)
    Fly on the wings of love corporate worshipping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rampkin View Post
    Good lord! Upgrades exist, as does futureproofing (who knows? AMD RTG still loves 'em wattz, top of the line Intel too). The 550W Formula (winky winky!) is brilliant, don't get me wrong, especially at 69 Eur it's going at where I live. But different hardware has different appetites. I'm 1000% positive muh 1700 + 580 rig isn't hitting anywhere near the legendarily low OPP limit of the Focus+ Gold 550W "Rev.1" (release). Yet I'd be a bit nervous putting a 5700 XT in there, even more nervous swapping the 1700 for a 3950X, and straight up praying I won't be met with shutdown galore after finishing it off with a Vega 64.
    I'd not worry too much about it.
    The 5700XT was, in my tests, around 100W less than the VEGA64 I own.
    With VEGA, the 550W might be cutting it close and not all 550W units work with VEGA (maybe even many don't work).
    But with AMD, you can make it work. I did make my V64 Work with a 400W PSU (be quiet Pure Power 10, 400 CM)-- with one or two power stages down and -25% or so power limit.

The Problem with the Formula is that it only has one rail for GPU, with two rails the 450W works spledidly with the Vega64. But that's not something recommended as you have to either use Adaptors or solder inside the PSU (yes, I soldered)

TL;DR 550W is good for their purpose but anything above isn't automatically evil. It depends on the tasks, future plans and unit quality. The given options, i m h o ! , aren't bad in the slightest.
    Yeah, Power Consumption might be rising again, without (much) OC and mid range GPUs, 550W is still plenty...
    You need either high end GPUs or a modern High End Desktop System to get over 550W Consumption.
    High end GPUs can sometimes be really cheap (VEGA64 for example the Sapphire Nitro+ for 350€ right no or especially Vega 56 for under 250€). And those can have higher demands towards the PSU than mid range GPUs.

On that note, a shameless question plug :P Just hypothetically. If I were to do a *bit* (hah!) of an upgrade in the near future, e.g. 3900X + X570 mobo + 5700 XT... the Gigabyte G750H is at 78 Euros here rn. Yay or nay? Store links for your convenience https://www.1a.lt/c/kompiuteriu-komp...blokai-psu/2vm http://www.skytech.lt/kompiuteriu-ko...86_85_300.html Good luck guys & gals, viel Glück Herr Stefan
    (betting this could also be of some help to the ever-emerging lurkers around here)
    Nope.
    The Bitfenix is far better. has a slightly better fan. IIRC the G750H comes with a Yate Loon 2BB Fan.
    IMO, there is no place for 2BB in PSU (on GPU maybe, perhaps), as FDB is far superior at the temperature - no bearing noise last as long or longer. And its also a rather high RPM model with 2500-3000RPM. And a standard CWT GPS is rather noisy - not the fan, the electronics...

TL; DR: Get the Bitfenix, even if its more expensive. Its totally worth it, even if its 100W less. And remember that 450 and 550W only have 1 Rail for GPU. Sadly I didn't test the 5700XT (Ref AMD) I had for a while with the Bitfenix Formula...

The 3900X consumes a bit more than my 3700X because it has 2 CPU Dies and I have only one...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Raven Rampkin (4 Weeks Ago)