Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wich one of these 3 PSU would you recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I assume the computer could sleep; I would expect a power supply to last a lot longer than 5 years under such conditions.
    So would I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Let me guess, ExtremeOutervision? The "recommended products" are sponsored links. They're not actually recommended, they just make the site money.

No. Because not only did you go down in efficiency, you went down in quality.
    Yes it was outervision, what about the thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750w, i like rgb stuff and is cheap where i live, it's only 100 usd on offer right now

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Your attachment didn't work. How do you know your old PSU was putting out 700W? Using the LINK software?
    Actually didn't know, i just had that because previously i had a gtx 780 sli setup and i tought 850 watts was ok, only recently i got a 2070 super because i was having a lot of sttutering and flickering with my sli setup, but one day my psu just died when i was playing apex legends with my new gpu, first i tought it was my new gpu that died but after testing all the components, it was the psu the one that was faulty, because as i said it can't even power up an old pentium 4 rig, and went it goes on, just put an external hard drive or fan and it automatically shuts down.

The thing shut downs even when i try to measure the voltages with a regular multimeter.

Idk why it just died, was really weird, gladly all the components works normally since i'm using a cheap generic psu for the time being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jetanire View Post
    what about the thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750w
    If you have to have RGB, that's a good choice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

adamsleath (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

well it put out a 700w usage but 850w psu as recommended.
    I suppose you wanted to show the bullshit nonsense from Outervision, did you not??
    Did you get a PHYSICAL measuring device? Something like a Brennstuhl BM231E for European/Schuko Nations??

Or did you just outright believe the output of a database based addition programm??
    Those things are dumber/worse than you with a pencil and a piece of Paper!

I've hardly measured more than 400-450W with my 3700X on a rather shitty ASUS X370-F (~15-20W more than MSI B450I/Biostar X370GT7) with the VEGA64 GPU (well, without +50% TDP, with that I'm in the direction of 500-550W)

The 2070 has a TDP of just 175/185W, the SUPER is at 215W - 30-40W more than the normal ones but still less than my VEGA64.
    Your CPU is overclocked, so probably around 150W or so.

So that's around 375W, maybe 400W in real life.

How do you come up with 700W?? Or did you just believe some random Software on the Internet without verifying its accuracy??
    Especially since its involved with PSU manufacturers, wich means they might want to sell you a PSU - and maybe make you pay more than you need to??
    probably it's because it use it a lot, not only for gaming but for rendering in my free time and if the render is too long to complete the pc isn't shut down for a long time.
    Irrelevant.
    The Spec above doesn't show any indication that you need that much.

Also OC in a productive enviroment? RLY???
    If you really were to make money with that system, you'd have replaced the ~6 Year old Haswell ages ago - with a Ryzen 1700X as soon as it came out. Or right now with the 3900X or 3950X on the way wich gives you 3-4 times the cores as you have right now.

Still, 750/850W is something for either heavily overclocked HEDT systems with highest end GPUs -> x80ti for nVidia for example. OR 2x High ENd GPUs.
    You didn't seem to list TWO GPUs, did you???

For two higher mid range (such as Tahiti), a 550W is still enough - MEASURED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

How much does electricity cost on Christmas Island? I imagine it is diesel powered.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    I suppose you wanted to show the bullshit nonsense from Outervision, did you not??
    Did you get a PHYSICAL measuring device? Something like a Brennstuhl BM231E for European/Schuko Nations??

Or did you just outright believe the output of a database based addition programm??
    Those things are dumber/worse than you with a pencil and a piece of Paper!

I've hardly measured more than 400-450W with my 3700X on a rather shitty ASUS X370-F (~15-20W more than MSI B450I/Biostar X370GT7) with the VEGA64 GPU (well, without +50% TDP, with that I'm in the direction of 500-550W)

The 2070 has a TDP of just 175/185W, the SUPER is at 215W - 30-40W more than the normal ones but still less than my VEGA64.
    Your CPU is overclocked, so probably around 150W or so.

So that's around 375W, maybe 400W in real life.

How do you come up with 700W?? Or did you just believe some random Software on the Internet without verifying its accuracy??
    Especially since its involved with PSU manufacturers, wich means they might want to sell you a PSU - and maybe make you pay more than you need to??

Irrelevant.
    The Spec above doesn't show any indication that you need that much.

Also OC in a productive enviroment? RLY???
    If you really were to make money with that system, you'd have replaced the ~6 Year old Haswell ages ago - with a Ryzen 1700X as soon as it came out. Or right now with the 3900X or 3950X on the way wich gives you 3-4 times the cores as you have right now.

Still, 750/850W is something for either heavily overclocked HEDT systems with highest end GPUs -> x80ti for nVidia for example. OR 2x High ENd GPUs.
    You didn't seem to list TWO GPUs, did you???

For two higher mid range (such as Tahiti), a 550W is still enough - MEASURED
    Calm down, I don't know why are you acting so moronically about this if I didn't attacked you personally in any way.

First, If I came here to ask was because YES I'm practically ignorant and dumb about this stuff, because I study medicine and not this kind of stuff , and yes indeed I believed that software on the internet because I know about this stuff just as much as you know how to do hearth surgeries.

Second, you don't know what do I do in my free time and what do I need to do it ,for me having the latest gpu or cpu is irrelevant like for some people is irrelevant to have the latest iphone, I clearly said I do it for a hobby not earn money, I earn more money working as an assistant on the hospital, and I didn't came here to discuss that, just to give you guys some info just in case is needed.

Third, as I said above my previous rig had a 780 sli setup that's why I had a 850w psu because by the time I bought that rig the 2070 super didn't exist and was able to buy a high end sort off rig at that time because my studies then weren't as hard as they are now but these days I got rid of those cards and I got my 2070 super so is a recent acquisition.

So I came here to reassure myself if the software I saw on the internet is correct but if it's not thanks for correcting my wrongs but it's not a big deal to act like you are on your period.

I ask here just like another civil will ask a medicine forum if what him saw on webMD is true or not to believe.

Because as webMD exist to sometimes mislead people on what they have, now I know there are some tech sites that mislead people on what they need.

For the rest I thank you and all people that replied for informing me now I know what to do and what to buy, I don't think it's really needed to prolong the discussion since it seems that I'm start offending people with my ignorance of the topic, and I can relate because I can act the same when someone comes to me saying they believe all the B's WebMD says to them without checking first.

Thanks for the help, sign-in out.
    Last edited by Jetanire; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:32 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jetanire For This Useful Post:

adamsleath (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Engineers can be a little caustic at times; it takes a little getting used to.

I imagine you have had your own frustrations with people thinking they know how to cure an ailment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Engineers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Calm down, I don't know why are you acting so *** about this if I didn't attacked you personally in any way.
    Why did you ignore all our postings about the Wattage of the PSU then?
    We all told you that you might not need 850W but you still wanted it for whatever reason...

Since you're a medical student:
    You physically measure blood pressure and don't use (online) blood pressure calculators, are you not?
    Because the blood pressure calculators are not useful and far too inaccurate to be useful...

Its the same here...

Especially since they don't want to be accurate as they have a financial incentive to overestimate -> Amazon Affiliate Links and stuff like that...

The only things that consume a noticable amount of power is the CPU and the GPU. Everything else hardly relevant as we're talking about something in the 5-10W area...

So if you know that, you just add the GPU and CPU Power Consumption together and have a good idea about the Size of the PSU.
    If we're talking about a ton of HDDs that might be different but you didn't say that you might use another 6-12 HDDs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

No. Really. Calm down.