Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W Fan Replacement - advice request

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W Fan Replacement - advice request

Hello all, I have a power supply fan problem that I'm hoping to fix but need some expert advice.

I have an Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W power supply that has a Globe RL4Z B1352512MB-3M 12V 0.38A fan that has just started ticking intermittently.

Given the age of the fan I presume that the bearings are showing some wear and are ticking in response to ambient temperature changes.

I took the unit apart to inspect the fan and its connectors.

The fan has 4 wires, 2 for DC power delivery and 2 that connect externally to the PC motherboard for the DC mode tachometer (this is not a PWM fan).

I have scoured around ebay, aliexpress etc and the closest I could find is the Globe RL4Z S1352512H-3M 12V 0.33A.

Looking at the data sheets for both fans;

RL4Z B1352512MB-3M = 0.38A, starting voltage 6V @ ~800 RPM, max RPM 1800, Max Air flow 103.81 CFM, Rated input power 4.56 W

RL4Z S1352512H-3M = 0.33A, starting voltage 6V @ unknown RPM, max RPM 1500, Max Air flow 106.86 CFM, Rated input power 3.96 W

So what I need to know is if the RL4Z S1352512H-3M is a suitable replacement?

It likely has a lower minimum RPM (around 660 to 700 RPM at a guess) as well as a lower maximum RPM of 1500 - is this a problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 10 year old PSU. The fan in a PSU is always the first thing to die. Other parts are bound to die soon after. 10 years is a long time for a PSU to be in service.

But to answer your questions:

You're going to broaden your horizons greatly if you don't bother with the extra tach connectors and just get a DC fan.

The difference between a 140mm fan and a 135mm fan is the mounting holes distance. 140mm fans have mounting holes that are 125mm apart and 135mm fans have mounting holes that are 120mm apart. So you might be able to get a 140mm to work.

If looking at two fans from the same manufacturer and series, if it has a higher max RPM, it has a higher start RPM.

Larger PSUs need higher RPM at higher loads, so using a lower RPM fan will be an issue if your PSU actually gets anywhere near 1000W+

The lower RPM won't be an issue because the fan controller in the Enermax Revolution is very simple and will simply apply more voltage to the fan to spin faster if the PSU gets too hot at the lower fan RPM.

And finally, throw the Revolution in the recycle bin and get a new PSU (just my opinion).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

chinobino (09-08-2019), Philipus II (09-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Jon, I had a feeling that someone would say to just replace the whole PSU and it was my first thought.

I was looking at the Cooler Master V850 Gold Fully Modular as it suits my current needs (pun intended) at a decent price and has a 10 year warranty.

It seems a shame to throw an otherwise working unit in the bin (I still have a working Sony TA-70 stereo amplifier from the 70's complete with wood finish lol) so I just figured I'd see how easy it would be to replace the fan.

I don't think I really want to mess around with trying to get a 140mm fan to fit, as I'd have to drill new holes for the screws and change the connection - and that's if I can find a suitable replacement.

The RL4Z S1352512H-3M I was looking at has the same connectors as the original so I could literally just swap them out but if you think it's a bad idea because it may not have enough cooling capacity (without considering its age) then I guess it's not worth pursuing.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

If it's worth 14 bucks to you... Go for it. What's the worse that can happen (don't answer that)?

Do they even still make the CM V850 anymore? That would be a bigger concern than continuing to use the Enermax. Electronics that are continuously in service tend to fair way better than one that's been sitting on a shelf unused for five years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you must be referring to the original CM V series, there was a revamped V series released this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

CFM is not the whole story with fans meant to cool electronics -- there is also static pressure to keep in mind. IIRC Enermax used their own fans (mag-type bearings) at some point. As for fans, Tator Tot is the one who knows the most.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    CFM is not the whole story with fans meant to cool electronics -- there is also static pressure to keep in mind. IIRC Enermax used their own fans (mag-type bearings) at some point. As for fans, Tator Tot is the one who knows the most.
    The fan was made for them by Globe. It's pretty safe to assume the blade design is the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The fan was made for them by Globe. It's pretty safe to assume the blade design is the same.
    I have had fans in my hands with the same manufacturer but different blade configurations. Very interesting. I don't buy them, so I would have no way of knowing which are meant to be different; but you buy them, or at least used to.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    I have had fans in my hands with the same manufacturer but different blade configurations. Very interesting. I don't buy them, so I would have no way of knowing which are meant to be different; but you buy them, or at least used to.
    Well, let's assume it's not. Then the fan controller is just going to have to spin the fan that much faster to make up for it. It'll be loud as hell, which is why it always cracks me up when someone says "I'll just put a Noctua in there and it'll be so much quieter!"

Don't think OP is looking for low noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct, I was looking for a 1:1 replacement or the closest I could find, low noise was not a concern.

@ehume Coincidentally, I was reading about static pressure before I posted here.

The Enermax Revo has a thin plastic insert under the fan, covering about a third of the open area. I am sure this dust cover would add to the static pressure as it impedes airflow into the PSU.

Since I have threatened to replace the fan it has decided to keep quiet for now, I think it knows its days are numbered.