Thread: Psu tips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Psu tips

hello all, im new here, i just want some help on the choice of psu for this build... i think probably the one i choice is bad for it...
    this is the build :

-CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X esa-core (3,8 GHz-4,4 GHz/36 MB CACHE/AM4)
    -Mother board
    Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) – RGB Ready!
    -RAM
    DDR4 Corsair VENGEANCE 3200 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
    -gpu
    AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT 8 GB – HDMI, DP – DX® 12
    -1º drive SSD M.2
    CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 1 TB NVMe PCIe (4950 MB/R, 4250 MB/W)
    -psu
    CORSAIR 650 W VS SERIES™ VS-650
    - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120
    I hope didnt wrote it in a wrong section or something like this... but is just for know if its a good build or i wrong pick something (im so in doubt for psu) ty everyone for future helps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it depends how much u want to spend on psu and where do u live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Bitfenix Formula, 450 or 550W or be quiet Straight Power 11 or the Bitfenix Whisper M.
    Either of those.

Do not get a low(est) Cost unit from any manufacturer!
    It should be at least 80plus Gold, here you have a better chance got get some decent unit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YamiSukehiro View Post
    -CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X esa-core (3,8 GHz-4,4 GHz/36 MB CACHE/AM4)
    -Mother board
    Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) – RGB Ready!
    -RAM
    DDR4 Corsair VENGEANCE 3200 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
    -gpu
    AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT 8 GB – HDMI, DP – DX® 12
    -1º drive SSD M.2
    CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 1 TB NVMe PCIe (4950 MB/R, 4250 MB/W)
    -psu
    CORSAIR 650 W VS SERIES™ VS-650
    - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120
    • Get a 3700X or maybe 3800X if you find a good deal
    • not a fan of X570 Boards at the moment as they are a bit expensive, rather get an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max or X470 Gaming Pro MAX
    • Memory seems reasonable
    • GPU seems good
    • PCIe 4.0 SSD is a waste of money! Its +60-100€ compared to a decent PCie 3.0SSD For example an MP510 for just 150€ instead oft he 240€ (both 1TB) is a good idea or just go with 2TB for 300€.
    • As said, PSU is no good! At least Bitfenix Formula or look for other in that region.
    • AIO Liquid Cooler are mostly shit as they add complexity and unnecessary failure points. Also its possible that they kill your stuff when they leak. If you chose to go with the 3700X you don't immediately need an aftermarket cooler. The boxed is perfectly reasonable... Something like a be quiet Shadow Rock 2 SR1 or Dark Rock 4, Noctua NH-U12S (SE-AM4), NH-U14S are better choices than those Water Cooler. Not a fan of those...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to everyone, i done some changes on my setup,
    out :
    liquid cooler
    bad psu
    in :
    corsair 850w rmx 80plus gold modular

noctua nh-u14s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YamiSukehiro View Post
    corsair 850w rmx 80plus gold modular
    Why?!
    That's a total waste of money that gives you nothing!
    A good quality 550W is more than enough for your setup.

And for the saved money, you can switch to a 3700X...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

the price difference between a 550rmx and an 850rmx where i am is 60 aud. (42usd)
    or $4.20usd per year over the 10 yr warranty period.

that's the way i look at it XD...but i guess total system draw for setups these days is only about 300ishW (or less!) ...soooooo hmmm.

yeah i might rethink my psu choice. in light of components becoming increasingly efficient aswell. do i really need to overkill for the eventuality of running 2080ti in sli...that'll never happen? nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    the price difference between a 550rmx and an 850rmx where i am is 60 aud. (42usd)
    or $4.20usd per year over the 10 yr warranty period.
    Yes, and?
    What do you get out of it?
    THAT is the real question. Not what it cost over an imaginary period you don't even know if you can use it.

Because ATX (PSU Spec) is total bullshit these days and wrong for what you really want/need in your PC.
    What you really want/need is mostly 12V as 3,3V and 5V is only used on Motherboards because they have no choice as there are only TWO 12V Pins total on the main ATX Connector. And you do not want to feed the Motherboard off of the CPU Connector. That defeats the purpose of it, kinda.
    5V has IIRC 5 pins, and 4pins for 3,3V...
    Intel really done goofed with the 2004 addition and the 24pin ATX Connector. They should have added 2-3x 12V. And declared 3,3V optional (in the future) as nobody really uses that anyway. And in some cases you even have to disconnect the 3,3V pin to use a Harddrive...

There is also a 12V Only Standard in the OEM Segment with 8-10pin Connectors. THAT is what you really want/need!
    They come with either 5V or 12V Standby. And with USB-C, 12V Standby (maybe even 19V) would be preferable...

that's the way i look at it XD...but i guess total system draw for setups these days is only about 300ishW (or less!) ...soooooo hmmm.
    Exactly!
    You have to get into higher end GPUs for 400-500€ to go over the 300W thing, same with CPUs. You also need 300-400€ for that at least.
    OC doesn't necessarily make sense.
    So we are talking about something like 55% Load for the 550W and 35% for the 850W - at full load of the System.
    Why pay 30-50€ for that? What benefit do you get?

The disadvantages you get is, sometimes, a far louder fan (for example Bitfenix Whisper M, 450 and 550W come with ~450RPM idle, 650W and up with ~700RPM), higher damages when something goes wrong and less money in your pocket you could spend for something else...

A 3600 is around 200€, a 3700X around 330€...
    That's 30€ to the difference of the 3600 to the 3700X. And it makes more sense to get the 3700X than an 850W PSU instead of a 550W.

yeah i might rethink my psu choice. in light of components becoming increasingly efficient aswell. do i really need to overkill for the eventuality of running 2080ti in sli...that'll never happen? nope.
    SLI does not work!
    You know about Crossfire in the Navi Cards? It doesn't exist!
    VEGA was the last one that supported it, in theory.

But Assasin's Creed Odyssey, Division 1+2 and some other Games I forgot, didn't use the second card (I used two Tahiti based Cards, 7970/280X). Vulkan didn't initially support multi GPU either! And that also has to be implemented in the Application. I do not know that there is a multi GPU/Vulkan implementation. There are some DX12 Implementations. But they aren't that comon either...
    So buttom line is: For gaming, the 2nd GPU is just a total waste of money that works in maybe a hand full of games, perhaps, per year.

But why bother when its not working with most games that are released??

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

adamsleath (09-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually dabbled out of curiosity with an sli and crossfire setup...in the 8800gts/5870 era i sold the graphics cards quick smart. as i saw no benefit whatsoever in the games i played at that time.