Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCEVa Focus ripple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default PCEVa Focus ripple

http://www.pceva.com.cn/article/3911-2.html

They only tested the 750W. Can this be extrapolated to the otherw attage unit models too? (At exactly 120% the ripple becomes way out of atx spec)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

This is typical of Seasonic units, as well as many others. Best thing to do is make sure your system is never using more than 100% of the PSU's capability. Nobody should be using any PSU at 120% capability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    This is typical of Seasonic units, as well as many others. Best thing to do is make sure your system is never using more than 100% of the PSU's capability. Nobody should be using any PSU at 120% capability.
    Yes, but that article was the basis for many peopel to say that Vega and x80ti's transient peaks caused the Focus to produce huge ripple, and it was only transient peaks, not continous power draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    Yes, but that article was the basis for many peopel to say that Vega and x80ti's transient peaks caused the Focus to produce huge ripple, and it was only transient peaks, not continous power draw
    The problem I encountered was the PSU shutting down. That wasn't accounted to transient peaks causing high ripple. That was just transient peaks causing the PSU to overload. Note that their load is static. A transient peak from a graphics card is not static. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head (the duration of the peaks), but the spike in ripple would be somewhere around 10ms long at the longest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The problem I encountered was the PSU shutting down. That wasn't accounted to transient peaks causing high ripple. That was just transient peaks causing the PSU to overload. Note that their load is static. A transient peak from a graphics card is not static. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head (the duration of the peaks), but the spike in ripple would be somewhere around 10ms long at the longest.
    I see. So with the revised Focus, would the ripple not be a problem for the hardware, since it's only for 10 ms or so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    I see. So with the revised Focus, would the ripple not be a problem for the hardware, since it's only for 10 ms or so?
    Don't know what they did to it. I thought they just increased the OPP, so the ripple would still be there.

Not sure how they would reduce the ripple in an overload only scenario without either a new PCB layout/design or without impacting other aspects of the PSU (i.e. efficiency).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

hello_there_123 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

I think he means the second generation, the new one without any reviews yet, not the first generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I think he means the second generation, the new one without any reviews yet, not the first generation.
    no, i meant first generation, and my other quesiton was how much would the 10ms ripple spike actually affect hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If the peak load lasts ~10ms, the PSU will deliver that much power. The capacitors and inductors can't absorb the spike for so long. You need a PSU which can handle that peak load for some seconds with output in spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The maximum rated wattage for the entire Focus series is 1000W. Assuming Focus GX-1000 is using the same platform as other Focus models, Seasonic should have some possible ways to make other Focus models capable of delivering 1000W without excessive ripple. There may be substantive difference between medium and high wattage models, though.