Thread: Which DSLR to buy for professional work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Which DSLR to buy for professional work?

Hello everyone. I am a student now. And i want to photography for part time job. I have also made some arrangements like which area to choose, budget etc. But now i am in confusion. Icannot afford to buy a high budget DSLR as i am a student. I am willing to buy with my saved money so i need to be choosy. For that reason, i have choosed two DSLR from amazon which is Nikon D3500 and Canon EOS 77D. But amazon is not available in my hometown so i needed to check another market for dslr price comparison. They are also pretty good seller. But anyway i need suggestions from expert for choosing my first DSLR!

Thanks in Advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't shoot Canon, so I'm not too familiar with their offerings, but what I can tell you is that for professional work the D3500 will probably drive you crazy in a hurry. It will do the job, but this level of DSLR relies extensively on menus and submenus for most of the advanced settings you're likely to end up needing for pro work. The D7xxx line is where you start getting more pro features from Nikon in a crop sensor, including a viewfinder that actually lets in a decent amount of light.

Personally, I started with a D5100 and even that camera irritated me. But it held me well enough until I got my refurbished D800 in 2016, which I'm still using now. I would suggest looking for something perhaps a little older in at least the D5xxx or (preferably) the D7xxx ranges with a low shutter count. You would want to go with a D7xxx at a minimum to get full support for older lenses like the AF, AI or AI-S models (this is about the cheapest you can go from Nikon with an internal focus motor for the AF lenses). A lot of those older lenses will get you started without compromising quality too much, and most of them barring the really old stuff can still be used on the entry level bodies, but those bodies will not support metering so you have to basically shoot on full manual mode and guess at the right exposure settings.

That's what irritated me about the D5100... 99% of the time, I had old AI or AI-S lenses on it. Got pretty good eventually at getting the exposure settings right, but other aspects of the camera reminded me on a daily basis that it wasn't exactly something a pro would use. But all the same, I completely used up the shutter life on it before going to the D800. Took me three years to push 80,000 shots through that little guy, but it did help me learn and I got some great images out of it. Almost every single review image for this site since 2013 was shot with that camera and the 18-55mm lens it came with. The D800 is just on a whole other level from there and makes the D5100 look like a toy, but if you're just starting out I'd suggest avoiding the full frame bodies for now. Good lenses for full frame are not cheap.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 08-25-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Pretty sure this is spam. LOL!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (09-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot. Yes, your discussion helps me understand things much better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a freelance in photography and I only use my iPhone X camera features to take incredible photos. You just need to discover some little-known tricks that will take your iPhone photography to the next level!