Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer turns on and off at startup-faulty PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Computer turns on and off at startup-faulty PSU?

I have a pc with the foll. config:

i5 3570s,12GB ddr3,GTX 1060,B75 d3h mainboard,Corsair TX 550m PSU,Corsair Spec 01 case

Of late,i've been facing a strange issue with the system.Whenever i turn it on(esp. after it has been kept switched off for over 3 hours),the pc turns on,then off again and then turns on for the 2nd time and proceeds to boot normally.Sometimes this cycle of turning off and on continues a few more times before it finally stays on permanently and proceeds to boot in to windows.

This issue occurs mainly when the system has been off for about 2 hours or more.When it has been off for shorter durations,say between 30 mins -1 hour it occurs very rarely(almost never).

I removed and reseated the major components,changed the cmos battery,even replaced the PSU power cable but the issue still persists.

On googling,i discovered that in situations like this,the most likely culprit could be the PSU.Is there any way to determine whether the PSU itself is causing the problem,not something else?

Please advise what needs to be done to resolve this issue-does the PSU need to be RMA'd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Protection stuff/chip...and maybe it's a ghost one was actually nothing wrong maybe the chip itself....maybe it's ESD...that old Apevia I had was like that and stuff. This coolermaster is all dogged out....I'm seeing it looks like ripple/leak on the meter that spike...it's not that bad though....running the stuff 24/7 is whats worseeee...dogs out Hold up Time....you need better resistor and probably something I don't have.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^could you explain a bit more clearly?Are you suggesting that some protection chip in the psu might have developed a fault?Is there any way to confirm this?

I want to be sure that the psu itself is faulty before proceeding for RMA-so some procedure to test it for issues might prove useful here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssm002 View Post
    Please advise what needs to be done to resolve this issue-does the PSU need to be RMA'd?

Any way you can test with another power supply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

unfortunately i dont have any spare power supplies to test my system with at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

On googling,i discovered that in situations like this,the most likely culprit could be the PSU.Is there any way to determine whether the PSU itself is causing the problem,not something else?
    The people that are saying this is the PSU are wrong. That's not the PSU. That's the motherboard.

When you have it "off" for two or more hours, is it JUST shut down in Windows and in standby, or are you cutting the switch on the back of the PSU or switch on a power strip, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Of late,i've been facing a strange issue with the system.Whenever i turn it on(esp. after it has been kept switched off for over 3 hours),the pc turns on,then off again and then turns on for the 2nd time and proceeds to boot normally.Sometimes this cycle of turning off and on continues a few more times before it finally stays on permanently and proceeds to boot in to windows.
    Yeah, the usual Intel Boot thingy.

Think about it:
    Wich component can switch the PC Of and on again?

Hint: its not the PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The people that are saying this is the PSU are wrong. That's not the PSU. That's the motherboard.

When you have it "off" for two or more hours, is it JUST shut down in Windows and in standby, or are you cutting the switch on the back of the PSU or switch on a power strip, etc?

Every time the system is turned off(be it for 30 mins or for longer durations) , its shut down from windows (not left in sleep mode /standby) and is completely disconnected from the ac wall outlet.

Is there any way to test your theory that its actually the mobo that's causing the problem, not psu?

Can a faulty power button on the pc case be somehow responsible for this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Every time the system is turned off(be it for 30 mins or for longer durations) , its shut down from windows (not left in sleep mode /standby) and is completely disconnected from the ac wall outlet.
    Why? Why are you disconnecting your PC from the wall?

This is what's happening: You have an ATX PC which is meant to "stay on" all the time, but in standby. When you unplug it from the wall, the PC may act normally short term because the bulk cap in the PSU is still energized, but eventually the cap will fully drain and the PC will go through several "boot cycles" before it does a full boot. This may take two or more hours or more depending on the load on the +5VSB.

The solution? Stop unplugging your PC. Just shut it down in Windows and walk away. IF you're unplugging it because you're afraid of surge, lighting, etc., then buy a quality surge suppressor.

Depending on the motherboard, I have seen BIOS updates "improve" this issue. But it's a 50/50 crap shoot.

Is there any way to test your theory that its actually the mobo that's causing the problem, not psu?
    It's not a theory. It's fact. Proof? Stop unplugging your PC.

Can a faulty power button on the pc case be somehow responsible for this?
    No. Because all a chassis power button does is shorts two pins together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Why? Why are you disconnecting your PC from the wall?

This is what's happening: You have an ATX PC which is meant to "stay on" all the time, but in standby. When you unplug it from the wall, the PC may act normally short term because the bulk cap in the PSU is still energized, but eventually the cap will fully drain and the PC will go through several "boot cycles" before it does a full boot. This may take two or more hours or more depending on the load on the +5VSB.

The solution? Stop unplugging your PC. Just shut it down in Windows and walk away. IF you're unplugging it because you're afraid of surge, lighting, etc., then buy a quality surge suppressor.

Depending on the motherboard, I have seen BIOS updates "improve" this issue. But it's a 50/50 crap shoot.

It's not a theory. It's fact. Proof? Stop unplugging your PC.

I have had this system for over 2 years and have never faced this problem earlier-and whenever i switch it off i disconnect it from the mains power supply. This issue started only recently-also i have 2 other pcs at home that are even older (one of them having a generic psu, and the other a seasonic s12ii) and are operated in a similar manner, but such issues have never surfaced with any of them.

I don't think an Atx system is meant to be "kept on" all the time - i know a lot of people who keep their pcs off for days on end(by disconnecting them from ac mains) but i've never heard of them facing such issues with their systems.

I remembered that this started last week after i upgraded windows 10 to v 1903-could it have anything to do with this issue?
    Last edited by ssm002; 08-18-2019 at 06:16 PM.