Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major input lag caused by Power issues in House

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Major input lag caused by Power issues in House

So recently I had been having power issues in my house, brownouts etc.

I did a lot of research and asked a bunch of professionals including speaking directly and the consensus was that good PSU's are very good at protecting components with bulk caps etc to protect undervolting/overvolting and that a UPS wouldn't be necessary.

Nevertheless I faced huge input latency issues after a series of power issues in my house. It felt like V-sync was enabled on my cursor in applications and did every possible fix. There was no signs of hardware failure or other issues, frame rates were fine and synthetic benchmarks were OK.

I decided to upgrade CPU, MOBO and RAM and low and behold the input latency issues went away in games and applications.

The other day I had a power issue again with light flickering. The input latency has started again, feels like there is 20+ms being added to my mouse, not in control of it and fighting it's movement.

I don't understand how it could cause this issue without obvious hardware damage.

Is there some sort of circuit that fried that is taking longer for the inputs to register?

There are other people that have had this happen on the Nvidia forums

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...killing-me/42/

For example in this thread, someone said exactly the same thing, brownouts/power problems that were solved by changing CPU etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Might be of interest, and I'd say you need a UPS

America has 220v; there is a 220v circuit in most American houses for the high consumption devices (clothes dryer, range etc.)

HOWEVER

There is one terrible disadvantage to the way 110v is often implemented in America, namely through a neutral line that divides the 220v into two circuits of 110v. Some devices in the house are on one circuit, some on the other. Now the problem: if that dividing neutral should ever fail due to a bad connection then some devices can be exposed to more than 110v and destroyed (it is almost paradoxical that the loss of a connection can lead to higher voltage).

To be explicit, have a washing machine on one circuit and a PC on the other; disconnect the dividing neutral and the 220v now goes across the two devices in series and the voltage is now unevenly distributed across them.

The following video illustrates it better than I can

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?F...al&view=detail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

I still don't see how power input could cause input lag.

Only thing I can think of is if the USB is powered by +5VSB, which is a separate, always live rail. If the filtering is not good on the +5VSB, I suppose damaging power can get through to the motherboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I am wondering how a modern power supply running off 110V would react if the mains had 220V spikes on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How would motherboard damage causes input lag though, is the signal interrupted by bad pieces of the motherboard?

Quite tempted to set up a input lag laser, buy a cheap system and purposefully create power issues (but using my boiler at the same time, which is part of the issue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    How would motherboard damage causes input lag though
    Seriously? Lots of ways.

The motherboard has to decipher all that data input as well as provide regulated voltage to the devices plugged into those ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Seriously? Lots of ways.

The motherboard has to decipher all that data input as well as provide regulated voltage to the devices plugged into those ports.
    Maybe I should rephrase what I meant sorry.

Why would I experience input lag when benchmarks and all other tests are completely fine.

Maybe the large dips in voltage (when the lights flickers) are damaging some something that specifically affects input lag.

Maybe it could be psychosomatic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Background tasks are a possibility; disk swapping. How much RAM do you have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Background tasks are a possibility; disk swapping. How much RAM do you have?
    It's not background tasks I have tried multiple clean windows re-installs.

I have 16gb DDR4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johndole25 View Post
    It's not background tasks I have tried multiple clean windows re-installs.

I have 16gb DDR4
    Did you fix the issue? I live in Israel where voltage is 220-230 and I have SMART UPS which is just pure sine, not online one. I have the same issue. I thought of buying the APC Easy UPS which is online vs hardcore voltage and power issues. if this is the problem this would fix the issue. Sometimes I hear the fan I am using normal fan, not computer one, changing speeds by itself. sometimes I noticed the mouse randomly works fine instanly which just before it was working bad it had some weird crazy jump and then it was fine. it's so random but usually it's bad all day long, I can't even play games or use desktop