Thread: Looking for Advice on 450-500w PSU for an 'Upgraded' Optiplex 7020 Mini Tower

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Looking for Advice on 450-500w PSU for an 'Upgraded' Optiplex 7020 Mini Tower

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of buying/upgrading a Optiplex 7020 Mini Tower (https://www.dell.com/ng/business/p/o...020-desktop/pd), and came here specifically to get advice about upgrading the power supply.

Info:
    General form factor of the Optiplex 7020 Mini Tower (not owned by me but they all more/less look like this):
    7020mt body.jpg

Close up of the psu specs (as best I could find):
    7020mt psu specs.jpg

It should be noted that to change the psu, a 24 to 8 pin adapter is required (something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/AYA-12-Inch...MAAOSwSlBYygLl). From what I can tell, all current adapter variants co-opt the 5v supply and convert it to 12v (see here for info on adapter pinouts https://www.dell.com/community/Deskt...n/td-p/4434910 [second post, ignore the molex, they don't use that anymore]]).

I plan on running a i5 4590 [https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...3-70-ghz.html], 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, Sapphire Pulse RX 570[https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/cons...4g-g5-hdmi-dp], with a ssd as the boot drive and hdd as the storage drive, and maybe one or two 120mm fans if I can cram them in there.

Ideally, I'd keep the budget for this psu from $40-60 for a 450-500w psu (which seemingly is the range of every 'estimator' / requirements sheet I've seen), but if that isn't realistic just let me know.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate your time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

If you buy a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1650 without a power connector, you can keep the current power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usually this kind of bundle pc has already good psu, and since you're upgrading I suggest Seasonic Focus Gold it's good to consider some feat to protect you're pc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

something to keep in mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

A fascinating analysis; are we to conclude from this that the chip was run at a lower core voltage and speed to reduce power consumption to accommodate the power supply?
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    A fascinating analysis; are we to conclude from this that the chip was run at a lower core voltage and speed to reduce power consumption to accommodate the power supply?
    What chip you are talking about?
    The 1650? Possibly.
    The Haswell Chip? No, its cheaping out on the Motherboard/VRM, that limits the Performance due to either current limiting or temperature limit.

It looks to me that those Business Systems are more on the lower end and looks like they are designed for medium/office work, not gaming/constant high load...
    And some Hardware Sites really shit on the 1650 for the high price and low performance...

The insane part is that the RX570 is a bit cheaper and around 40% or more faster than the 1650...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    What chip you are talking about?
    The 1650? Possibly.
    The Haswell Chip?

He seems to be talking about the Haswell voltage and speed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

570 is the better choice over 1650, both performance& price valuable, expecially you buy the 8+6pin one, an 570 extreme oc could even stand 1060 3gb oc nor 6gb stock clock, or if you can found rx480 that would be even great but it draw more power..