Thread: TX650M possibly shipped with wrong cables? (fried HDD/SSDs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TX650M possibly shipped with wrong cables? (fried HDD/SSDs)

Hi guys, I'm writing this for my friend in Germany. He just bought a Corsair TX650M from Amazon.de and used it to replace a sharkoon unit that he had previously. After installing it (using the new cables that came with the new PSU) the system wouldn't power on at all. He then tried his old PSU) again and it turned on- except for his SSDs and Hard Drives. Those did not show up or spin up at all, dead. He can smell burning electronics from one of the SSDs. He then connected the new PSU to his old computer, but only the mainboard connectors, no drives or PCIe. It turned on no problem. But he's tried his old SSDs and HDDs in another system and they are completely fried. He isn't sure what to do, I told him to open a case with Corsair. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that somehow it was shipped with electrically incompatible SATA cables that fried his drives. Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and does he have any possible recourse from Corsair in the EU?

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ASUS Prime X470 Pro
    16GB G Skill TridentZ 3200mhz
    Powercolor Red Dragon RX Vega56
    1x Samsung 970Pro 500GB, 1x SKHynix SC300 500GB, 1x Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    1x 1TB WD Black, 1x2TB Seagate Barracuda
    EVGA SuperNova 550G3
    Fractal Design Define S
    Dell S2719DGF, LG 24UD58-B, Dell U2415H
    Corsair Strafe Mk2 silent, Logitech G502

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cruzinforit View Post
    Hi guys, I'm writing this for my friend in Germany. He just bought a Corsair TX650M from Amazon.de and used it to replace a sharkoon unit that he had previously. After installing it (using the new cables that came with the new PSU) the system wouldn't power on at all. He then tried his old PSU) again and it turned on- except for his SSDs and Hard Drives. Those did not show up or spin up at all, dead. He can smell burning electronics from one of the SSDs. He then connected the new PSU to his old computer, but only the mainboard connectors, no drives or PCIe. It turned on no problem. But he's tried his old SSDs and HDDs in another system and they are completely fried. He isn't sure what to do, I told him to open a case with Corsair. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that somehow it was shipped with electrically incompatible SATA cables that fried his drives. Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and does he have any possible recourse from Corsair in the EU?

Thanks.
    Got pictures of the cables? What do the connectors that plug into the PSU side say on them? Do they say "Type 3"?

It's impossible for a new Corsair PSU to come with the wrong cables due to the assembly line type process used to pack them out, all in the same factory. Furthermore, all of the cables come from the same supplier (YiYi).

Was the PSU "used"? A "refurb"? Did the box look open?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are the pictures, it seems like they say Type 4. It was a brand new unit (or being sold as such) shipped and sold by Amazon, he says it looked new, is there a way he can tell for sure? Like a seal on the box or something? He says it was shrinkwrapped.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ASUS Prime X470 Pro
    16GB G Skill TridentZ 3200mhz
    Powercolor Red Dragon RX Vega56
    1x Samsung 970Pro 500GB, 1x SKHynix SC300 500GB, 1x Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    1x 1TB WD Black, 1x2TB Seagate Barracuda
    EVGA SuperNova 550G3
    Fractal Design Define S
    Dell S2719DGF, LG 24UD58-B, Dell U2415H
    Corsair Strafe Mk2 silent, Logitech G502

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Type 4 is the same as Type 3 for the SATA and PATA, so it should have been pinned correctly.

I would say the best course of action is to contact Corsair directly, have them do a failure analysis to see WHY this happened and they could potentially replace the drives through a damage claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

An OT question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    potentially replace the drives through a damage claim.
    Wow. You guys consider damage claims. Is this because of region-specific laws or is it worldwide?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cruzinforit View Post
    The only thing that makes any sense to me is that somehow it was shipped with electrically incompatible SATA cables that fried his drives.

Does your friend have a voltmeter? if so he can check the cables himself.