Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I worry about the PSU I ordered?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    In the PCPerspective test linked by Tator, the Silverstone (using the same platform) has pretty bad load regulation: the 12V rail dropped by 0.43V (3.5%), and it dropped down to only 11.53V by the full load test. And keep in mind they put unrealistically high load on the minor rails (7A on 3.3V and 7A on 5V in last test), which does group regulated units a favour.

In your PC, which won't load the minor rails anywhere close to 7A on each, I'm afraid this voltage and load regulation should be even worse. If the Silverstone performs so poorly with such high load on minor rails, then it will be worse with almost no load on them.
    You can see this in their crossload test, where the 12V rail drops down to 11.42V when there's only 1A on the minor rails - that's only 0.02V more than the ATX spec allows.

Unfortunately we don't know how it handles transient loads. It uses a double-forward primary converter, so it could cause problems with top end graphics cards.
    That said, your system isn't really high end and RX570 doesn't exhibit high transient power spikes (in addition to not needing much power in the first place), so it shouldn't cause big problems.

That voltage regulation is the biggest issue here, and PCPer's review shows this platform to have really bad regulation even as far as group regulated power supplies go (even Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite has better regulation), but it shouldn't reduce lifetime of any part significantly. It's just, kind of a shame to put a low end group regulated unit in a new PC, even if it's a mid-end one like yours.

Unfortunately Eteknix don't know how to use their equipment, and they have no idea how to test voltage regulation. They use a completely wrong formula to calculate their average deviance - they sum up all individual deviances of a given voltage and then average them, which completely misses the point of the test and makes no sense whatsoever.
    By their logic, a power supply that outputs 12.6, 12.3, 12.0, 11.70 and 11.4, would achieve a score of 0% - perfect regulation, when in reality such score is as terrible as you can reasonably get. They also don't say how much load they put on any individual rail, which invalidates their results further, and if they can't even get that right, then I don't think they know the proper procedure of testing ripple either.

To properly judge the Be Quiet, we'd have to know the same things as with any other power supply - load regulation, voltage regulation, ripple, transient response, crossload performance, temperature resistance, hold-up time, and then when it comes to build quality, we'd have to know the layout, capacitor series, the parameters of bridge rectifiers, diodes, and FETs (current ratings and temperature tolerance)... and of course if the protections work as they should.

Eteknix' entire review is worthless, so we have only PCPer, where they tested the same-platform Silverstone. The Be Quiet could perform better, but we have no way of knowing that. Silverstone showed really poor regulation with 12V rail dropping so much down, very bad crossload and good ripple. All the other things are still unknown, so it's kinda like trying to guess a graphics card's performance only from its clock rate... except the clock rate is already poor.
    I do know about Eteknix's bad review practices. I calculated the voltage readings myself from the raw numbers, and not the combined one that Eteknix gives.
    I have the SFX Power 2, not the Silverstone st-sf. That's shit lol
    Last edited by NunoLava1998; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NunoLava1998 View Post
    I calculated the voltage readings myself from the raw numbers, and not the combined one that Eteknix gives.
    And what load was on each rail in Eteknix' results?
    And since they have no idea what is voltage regulation or how to calculate it, what makes you think their voltage readings are accurate, or obtained according to correct testing procedure?
    Especially when the same PSU of a different name was tested at PCPer, with proper equipment and by somebody who knows what he's doing?

It's 11.4V on the NEGATIVE 12v rail.
    ?
    No it wasn't?

They did provide internals.
    So can you tell us the capacitor series and parameters, bridge rectifier temperature and current rating, and parameters of the diodes and transistors from those 5 photos they posted? Do we even know if it's synchronously rectified or passively?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And since they have no idea what is voltage regulation or how to calculate it, what makes you think their voltage readings are accurate, or obtained according to correct testing procedure?
    Especially when the same PSU of a different name was tested at PCPer, with proper equipment and by somebody who knows what he's doing?

?
    No it wasn't?

So can you tell us the capacitor series and parameters, bridge rectifier temperature and current rating, and parameters of the diodes and transistors from those 5 photos they posted? Do we even know if it's synchronously rectified or passively?
    This is for the SFX Power 2. I'm not ordering the silverstone sfx bronze. This is the eteknix review;

1. 12V1 = 0.5% to 1%; 5V = -1% to 1%; 3.3V = 0.9% to 2.4%; 5Vsb = -2% to 1.8%; -12V = -3.4% to -3.8%; 12V2 = 0.3% to 0.9%. 12V, 5V is good, 5Vsb and 3.3V is average and -12V (wtf uses -12v) is bad. They said the load would be in 20, 40, 60, 80, etc. percent. That's why there are multiple columns; it's different load levels. This doesn't include crossload
    2. i was mentioning the eteknix review
    3. Don't know what you're talking about much, I'm still a bit new to PSU stuff; however the primary side has 'CapXcon 180uF, 420V and 105 degrees celsius' caps, the secondary side has apparently similar caps. No idea about the rest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also i do agree that eteknix's reviewing practices are an absolute joke lol
    unfortunately i already have it right here so that sucks really. i think it'll be ok for my system though, it's definitely better than the other options i had (shitty chinese 20 '''400w''' sfx psus).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

1. 12V1 = 0.5% to 1%; 5V = -1% to 1%; 3.3V = 0.9% to 2.4%; 5Vsb = -2% to 1.8%; -12V = -3.4% to -3.8%; 12V2 = 0.3% to 0.9%. 12V, 5V is good, 5Vsb and 3.3V is average and -12V (wtf uses -12v) is bad.
    Especially when the same PSU of a different name the (Silverstone) was tested at PCPer, with proper equipment and by somebody who knows what he's doing?

2. i was mentioning the eteknix review
    And I was talking about the Silverstone, the same platform as Be Quiet. That's what I was talking about when mentioning the 12V rail dropped to 11.42, to show you how your PSU behaves when loaded. The Eteknix review doesn't even have such value anywhere? Neither on 12V, nor or -12V? What exactly are you talking about now when you said "It's 11.4V on the NEGATIVE 12v rail"?

3. Don't know what you're talking about much, I'm still a bit new to PSU stuff; however the primary side has 'CapXcon 180uF, 420V and 105 degrees celsius' caps, the secondary side has apparently similar caps. No idea about the rest
    Exactly. As you can see, most of the puzzles are still missing. When it comes to internals, they only let us know about the main capacitor - and it's not even a very good one either, as it's pretty small even for a 300W PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Especially when the same PSU of a different name the (Silverstone) was tested at PCPer, with proper equipment and by somebody who knows what he's doing?

And I was talking about the Silverstone, the same platform as Be Quiet. That's what I was talking about when mentioning the 12V rail dropped to 11.42, to show you how your PSU behaves when loaded. The Eteknix review doesn't even have such value anywhere? Neither on 12V, nor or -12V? What exactly are you talking about now when you said "It's 11.4V on the NEGATIVE 12v rail"?

Exactly. As you can see, most of the puzzles are still missing. When it comes to internals, they only let us know about the main capacitor - and it's not even a very good one either, as it's pretty small even for a 300W PSU.
    1. see edit, i didn't read your post properly
    2. The voltage regulation on the sfx power 2 in the eteknix review had -11.55 to -11.58V values. It's similar enough so i confused it for that
    3. Yes.

I already have the power uspply unfortunately. I shied away from the silverstone sfx bronze since I saw a review (that likely had a broken PSU or something) with noise nearly reaching 60dB and just terrible performance all around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

This seems like a case of buyer's remorse for me. You bought a PSU that you assumed was good, and get defensive when shown it's not as good as you thought. I see it on many forums sometimes, when people ask for advice **AFTER** they already bought a product, hoping that people will tell them "you made a good purchase". But when the responses are "it's not really good at all", they double down and try to ignore all proof that their choice might have not been the best, and are afraid to think they might have wasted their money.

Now, I don't think you completely wasted your money at all. Nobody here will tell you your parts will explode with this PSU powering them, and I'm not here to make your day worse. We want to help you get the best for your components, after all. You can probably install it and never experience an issue with your computer. But in my opinion, you should follow Stefan Payne's advice and choose Silverstone ST45SF V3.0, especially when - I assume - it's as cheap in your stores as it is here. It's definitely a much, much healthier choice for your parts and a much better use of your money than spending it on a very underwhelming PSU like that.

Sure, now that you've got it in your hands, it would take effort to return it and spend your money better. I personally think it's very much worth the hassle though, and in a week you will feel very satisfied when you know that your parts are powered by a very decent, DC-DC PSU with durable components and good performance.
    If you decide not to replace it, then all that's left for us to do is wish you good luck and to have a good experience with your new SFX setup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This seems like a case of buyer's remorse for me. You bought a PSU that you assumed was good, and get defensive when shown it's not as good as you thought. I see it on many forums sometimes, when people ask for advice **AFTER** they already bought a product, hoping that people will tell them "you made a good purchase". But when the responses are "it's not really good at all", they double down and try to ignore all proof that their choice might have not been the best, and are afraid to think they might have wasted their money.

Now, I don't think you completely wasted your money at all. Nobody here will tell you your parts will explode with this PSU powering them, and I'm not here to make your day worse. We want to help you get the best for your components, after all. You can probably install it and never experience an issue with your computer. But in my opinion, you should follow Stefan Payne's advice and choose Silverstone ST45SF V3.0, especially when - I assume - it's as cheap in your stores as it is here. It's definitely a much, much healthier choice for your parts and a much better use of your money than spending it on a very underwhelming PSU like that.

Sure, now that you've got it in your hands, it would take effort to return it and spend your money better. I personally think it's very much worth the hassle though, and in a week you will feel very satisfied when you know that your parts are powered by a very decent, DC-DC PSU with durable components and good performance.
    If you decide not to replace it, then all that's left for us to do is wish you good luck and to have a good experience with your new SFX setup.
    I'll not replace it. I did do a lot of research before buying it, but I never actually bothered to ask beQuiet! if it was group regulated because at 60 for 400W I just assumed it was good, and I just took everything in the Eteknix review as truth.
    Thank you for the advice though, next time I buy a power supply I'll do more research.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Nice. What parts do you have in your system? I wonder how much of those 7A is taken by things other than drives.
    Just 1 or two HDDs (don't remember), 7200rpm, Either 2x old Samsung Spinpoint with 1TB Each or 1x Toshiba MD04ACA400 (4TB, 7200RPM)
    2x8GiB DDR4
    500GB Samsung EVO850
    And I think I still had the Power Color RX480 Red Devil
    ASUS X370-F Strix
    And a Ryzen 1700X

So a pretty basic system.

Normal load on minor rails is around 5A btw, regardless of System...

The only one where I got closer to 10A was the LGA1366, for obvious reasons.

I didn't even notice, that's hilarious! That site is a disaster. (Or at least its PSU reviews.)
    Well, the Stingray is very popular in PSU Testing circles because of its low price.
    At some point in time it was just around 100 or so.
    Right now the Price probably increased a bit, last time I checked it was around 150 or so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll not replace it. I did do a lot of research before buying it, but I never actually bothered to ask beQuiet! if it was group regulated because at 60 for 400W I just assumed it was good, and I just took everything in the Eteknix review as truth.
    Thank you for the advice though, next time I buy a power supply I'll do more research.
    If it makes you feel a little better about your purchase, the ST45SF V1 is a relatively stable product for us with good reliability and low returns. Keep in mind though, the beQuiet version has 50W less power, so it isn't exactly the same PSU as our ST45SF V1.