Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing capacitors from cables - any test of differences?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Removing capacitors from cables - any test of differences?

Hi,

Is there any test of some PSU with capacitorst in cables and differences when you gonna remove it or just make custom cables without them?

I just wonder how much important they are in practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i read many times that caps in capacitors can cause, that wires are inextensible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... That for sure, but what I wanna know how much removing it does impact ripple voltage and overall performance.

I have cables from cablemod without capacitors (some old one) and that stock one with capacitors. Unfortunatelly i can't make any measurement because lack of test equipment.

Overall I wanna make some short custom cables, but I wonder about that capacitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Depends on the PSU. But in case of a modern PSU, it's mostly useless and only for a higher rating in reviews.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (08-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We can see it in tone of PSU in last years.

I wonder about PSU like seasonic focus gold. I heard there was some issues with the card like 970 stix and better cables (probably better capacitors) solved the issue.

Still i would rly like to see some comparison: Stock cables vs. Stock cables with capacitors cut out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DyndaS View Post
    We can see it in tone of PSU in last years.

I wonder about PSU like seasonic focus gold. I heard there was some issues with the card like 970 stix and better cables (probably better capacitors) solved the issue.

Still i would rly like to see some comparison: Stock cables vs. Stock cables with capacitors cut out.
    No. The small caps in the cables only remove some ripple left over by the filtering of the PSU itself. They don't store enough energy to soften a transient load spike from a high end graphics card. The changed Seasonic made to the Focus were INTERNAL.

The difference between in-line caps and no-caps equates to about 10mV of ripple at full load. That's it. Nothing more.

Tom Logan at OC3D did a comparison when the Corsair RMx first came out and with capacitors in the cables and he replaced the cables with after market Cablemod cables without caps. He measured before and after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    No. The small caps in the cables only remove some ripple left over by the filtering of the PSU itself. They don't store enough energy to soften a transient load spike from a high end graphics card. The changed Seasonic made to the Focus were INTERNAL.
    Seasonic "fixed" the Focus with a special cable, which you should ask for if you have a GTX 970 Strix. It's a cable with a somewhat bigger cap.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (08-03-2019), Jon Gerow (08-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Seasonic "fixed" the Focus with a special cable, which you should ask for if you have a GTX 970 Strix. It's a cable with a somewhat bigger cap.
    Oh.. I thought we were talking about another issue with the new version of the Focus they just released. I wasn't aware of a cable with a larger cap in it.

They didn't just start shipping the Focus with a larger cap to address the issue, did they? I thought they actually fixed the issue.

I thought we were talking about the typical in-cable capacitors like the ones that Corsair uses. Those don't really do much at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

GDILord (08-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, but the question is overall, so I wonder if cuting capacitors off will not cause any problems.

Tom Logan at OC3D did a comparison when the Corsair RMx first came out and with capacitors in the cables and he replaced the cables with after market Cablemod cables without caps. He measured before and after.
    Could you share a link?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Oh.. I thought we were talking about another issue with the new version of the Focus they just released. I wasn't aware of a cable with a larger cap in it.
    No, just the old (current) Focus not the new one. According to Seasonic that Focus shouldn't have any of the problems of the old one, however we don't know if that actually is true.

They didn't just start shipping the Focus with a larger cap to address the issue, did they? I thought they actually fixed the issue.
    No AFAIK you should just ask for the cable if you have a GTX 970 Strix and Focus. Of course if you don't know if it is the PSU, you first need to identify the problem. Don't think many would blame the PSU, I personally wouldn't expect the PSU if I saw those black screen problems.
    I thought we were talking about the typical in-cable capacitors like the ones that Corsair uses. Those don't really do much at all.
    He was before.