Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EVGA 750 G3 Problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EVGA 750 G3 Problems

I have two miners running with 3 EVGA 1070 SC cards installed on each system. I have the systems setup to use the 4790K CPU onboard Video. I used EVGA 750 G3 Power Supply on each system based on the rave reviews. The 1070 SC cards require ~135 watts each (HWinfo64) and are under full load most of the time. The total load on each system is ~460 watts (APC X3 1500 UPS). Both 750 G3 Power supplys failed within a weak of each other after running for several months @ 24/7. EVGA replaced the P/S's but never really explained why they both failed. I have replaced the P/S's on the miners with my old faithfull EVGA 850 G2 units. I'm worried that they too may fail. Need to understand what the heck is going on with the P/S's VGA "ports". The units have four VGA ports and I'm only using three.

Can someone please explain how much power is being supplied to each VGA port and/or why I'm destroying P/S's on these systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    EVGA replaced the P/S's but never really explained why they both failed.
    I doubt they'd be able to if you asked. Did you ask for a failure analysis?

The 1070 SC cards require ~135 watts each (HWinfo64) and are under full load most of the time. The total load on each system is ~460 watts (APC X3 1500 UPS).
    Sounds about right.

Both 750 G3 Power supplys failed within a weak of each other after running for several months @ 24/7
    Temperature?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I doubt they'd be able to if you asked. Did you ask for a failure analysis?

Sounds about right.

Temperature?
    EVGA Technical support says the power supplies failed because they are not intended for 24/7 mining applications!! Tech Support person said the second 750 G3 failed because the connectors got too hot. He also said EVGA does not make a P/S that will not eventually fail when used in a home mining application! Using an EVGA P/S that is rated for more wattage would not help he says.

The systems are located in the basement where the ambient temperature never gets above 70F and most of the time it is less that that. The EVGA 1070 SC video cards run @ ~61C. I have the five fans blowing air across the three Video cards and P/S on each system.

So...so much for the rave review on the EVGA 750 G3. Any suggestions on who might make a better P/S for a home mining application?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

EVGA Technical support says the power supplies failed because they are not intended for 24/7 mining applications!!
    A power supply can't know the difference between mining and gaming. Their statement would make sense if you were pushing a 750W PSU at 750W, but you're only putting half that load on the PSU, so the PSU should last for years and years.

Tech Support person said the second 750 G3 failed because the connectors got too hot.
    Did you leave a detail out of your original post? Did the connectors show evidence of melting?

You said,
    Need to understand what the heck is going on with the P/S's VGA "ports".
    but you didn't say they were damaged in any way. Were they?

A PSU review is indicative of short term usage. So no review can tell you how long something should last outside of the usual observations of build quality. But that leaves a lot of things out of account. I've never used Super Flower as an OEM in my professional career, so I can't say if their product is built for 24/7 use or not. I can say that it is a requirement for the PSUs I work on today.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (06-29-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    A power supply can't know the difference between mining and gaming. Their statement would make sense if you were pushing a 750W PSU at 750W, but you're only putting half that load on the PSU, so the PSU should last for years and years.

Did you leave a detail out of your original post? Did the connectors show evidence of melting?

You said, but you didn't say they were damaged in any way. Were they?

[/COLOR]A PSU review is indicative of short term usage. So no review can tell you how long something should last outside of the usual observations of build quality. But that leaves a lot of things out of account. I've never used Super Flower as an OEM in my professional career, so I can't say if their product is built for 24/7 use or not. I can say that it is a requirement for the PSUs I work on today.
    I have all the 750 G3 cables - EVGA did not replace the cable only the P/S's. All the cables look okay, in fact I'm using some of them along with the 750 G3 P/S's that were replaced on non-mining systems and they are working just fine.

One thing that makes sense after Googling around - someone said that each Riser Card is drawing up to 75W from the SATA connection and you should not connect more that two risers per cable. I had all three 1070 riser cards connected to one SATA cable on both systems. Reading between the BS that I got from the EVGA Tech person maybe that's what caused the P/S's to fail. That makes sense since the SATA cables normally supply power to peripherals that require power in the <10W area. Anyway, I NOW have each Riser connected to it's own SATA cable on both systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

One thing that makes sense after Googling around - someone said that each Riser Card is drawing up to 75W from the SATA connection and you should not connect more that two risers per cable. I had all three 1070 riser cards connected to one SATA cable on both systems. Reading between the BS that I got from the EVGA Tech person maybe that's what caused the P/S's to fail. That makes sense since the SATA cables normally supply power to peripherals that require power in the <10W area. Anyway, I NOW have each Riser connected to it's own SATA cable on both systems.
    Ok... You keep revealing new information with each post. Interesting.

If you only have three cards, why are you using risers? And if you HAVE TO use risers, why are you using the shittiest, cheapest crappiest ones in the universe that uses SATA for power?

Your cards are probably not drawing 75W from the slot. What people are saying is that a PCIe slot is DESIGNED to deliver UP TO 75W. And the 8-pin on your graphics card is DESIGNED to deliver UP TO 150W.

But your cards aren't drawing anywhere near 225W.

But a SATA connector only has a single +12V lead. It's not made to deliver 75W. 54W AT-THE-MOST.

That said... That's not going to kill your PSU. If anything, if you were drawing anywhere near 75W from the slot, your SATA cable would have melted. But you said there's no melting. It just sounds like those Super Flower EVGA PSUs aren't made for long term use or you just had some really bad luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We'll see. Seems everybody has an opinion on how to configure mining systems using Riser Cards. All I know is the spacing on the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MB's do not handle three 1070's very well. An open air mining rig using Risers and extra fans allow the cards to run many degrees C cooler. Since I'm using the shittiest, cheapest, crappiest riser cards what do you suggest I buy?! At this stage money is not an issue I just want the damn systems to run 24/7 without problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

We'll see. Seems everybody has an opinion on how to configure mining systems using Riser Cards. All I know is the spacing on the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MB's do not handle three 1070's very well. An open air mining rig using Risers and extra fans allow the cards to run many degrees C cooler. Since I'm using the shittiest, cheapest, crappiest riser cards what do you suggest I buy?! At this stage money is not an issue I just want the damn systems to run 24/7 without problems.
    Even a Molex powered, or preferably one with a PCIe connector on it, would be better than using SATA.

SATA not being able to deliver much power isn't an opinion. It's a fact. It's simply not engineered to deliver very much power. Anyone that suggests that using SATA is ok simply because they haven't had an issue themselves does not have a better "opinion" then the next guy. They've just been lucky.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining...ardware/risers
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/7zhe3n/riser_melted_cable_to_to_psu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining...nto_the_cable/
    https://steemit.com/hardware/@stefan...er-them-safely
    http://glytch.tech/SATA-Powered-PCIE...-Be-Dangerous/

I can keep going.

So when EVGA told you the PSU died because it wasn't meant for 24/7 mining and that the connectors got too hot (without them having the cables or without the PSU having melted connectors) did they actually do a failure analysis or did they give you that response after you told them "I used this PSU for mining."

Here's a theory about why it might have failed: Maybe the connectors didn't melt. USUALLY the connector pin is the weak link in a DC power cable. But what if these PSUs are made where the weak link isn't the pin, wire or connector, but maybe the traces inside that feed the power to the connector. Maybe you open the PSU up and there's a bunch of burnt traces or blown components from pulling too much current through a single circuit. It's entirely possible. Was the PSU completely dead, or was it simply not supplying power to certain ports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I know the market for mining gear but also Super Flower and EVGA PSU quite well and have some actual data how they do in mining. I can only speak for the first 3-4 years of usage though. All in all Leadex/G2/G3 do quite okay in mining and failure rate is rather on the low side compared to other PSU used under same conditions. Corsair has slightly lower failure rate, for Seasoinic it depends a lot on the model. Some Seasonics are very reliable, others die a lot (those models are EOL now though, guess why...). Still, RMA rate in mining is generally considerable higher than in normal use. If normal RMA rate is 0.5% RMA rate in mining can easily exceed 3%. On top EVGA standard warranty for PSU is very long. Operating a PSU at 24/7 >80% load and high ambient temperature will mean rather many PSU will fail during warranty period. That's why most brands rule out mining completely when it comes to waranty. I can imagine EVGA customer support is told to disencourage potential customers to use EVGA PSU for mining to keep RMA rate low and avoid problems with warranty, so they tell the customers product isn't fit for mining even if it's more suitable than many other products. For PSU brand mining orders mean quick business, but more problems in the future. Everyone prefers regular business for sure.

Tom's Hardware US has good readings for power draw of VGA cards via PCIe slot. If graphics card pull actual 75W I hevaily recommend PCIe powered risers. The SATA powered risers are okish for cards around 10W but I don't like them much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting smarter but...still a little confused. My EVGA 750 G3'3 750 G2's and 850 G2's have four VGA connectors (and cables), 1 peripheral connector (and cable) and 3 SATA connectors (and cables). The mining rigs I have set up use 3 of the VGA cables to power the 1070 SC cards. I now have one SATA cable powering each 006c Riser Card. Based on one of the links above that setup should be okay. However, I don't know how I can eliminate the infamous 6-pin to SATA adapter cable that came with the Risers - I ran out of P/S connectors!

Just an aside, I will replace the lousy 007 Risers on the other Miner with the 006c Risers that came with the 4 to 1 Adapter kits I purchased. The difference between the two Riser models is the 006c has some voltage control built in?

As far as the 750 G3 failures - the first failure just lost the 1070 cards. The system still ran and acted normally since I'm using the 4790K onboard video. So the SATA circuity must have blown (I had all three Risers connected to one SATA cable) inside the P/S since the cables look okay. At the time of the failure I was using the 007 Riser Cards.

The second 750 G3 failure was different. All three 1070's fans were roaring and yet the system was dead! When I powered it down and tried to reboot nothing would work - zero power from P/S. Again, I had all three Risers connected to one SATA cable. I could not find anything wrong with any of the cables. At the time of the failure I was using the 007 Riser Cards.