Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU before diminishing returns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU before diminishing returns

I have been out of the power supply loop for a while and this is always where I used to go to find info on PSU's. It seems since the implementation of the 80 plus certification that it has gotten pretty spread out and now there are pretty expensive options out there. I am planning on doing a new build for the first time in a long time. It will probably have at least 4 or 5 case fans as I am going all in on air cooling. possibly 140mm fans. looking at at new Ryzen CPU. Probably a 3800x. Looking at possibly a 2080. Probably go dual nvme for my hdd space. One boot drive and one for storage and what not. Probably going to go with a B450 or x470 board as I just don't want that extra tiny little fan from the x570 chipset and I don't really need PCI-e 4. Think that is it. Should be a pretty simple build. Looking for a full modular PSU. Want something that will last me a long time but don't want to pay for something I don't need.

What are the best suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The biggest question, is where do you live? If you're in the US there are plenty of budget options, but one of the cheapest available would probably be the Cougar GX-F 650w.
    You can read reviews on it from it's big brother at Tom's, TechPowerUP, KitGuru, & JonnyGuru. The 650w and 750w will perform similarly.

The only other units I could suggest against it would cost more without giving you a tangible benefit besides being either quieter at full load, digital monitoring functionality, or RGB Sync for the fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    The biggest question, is where do you live? If you're in the US there are plenty of budget options, but one of the cheapest available would probably be the Cougar GX-F 650w.
    You can read reviews on it from it's big brother at Tom's, TechPowerUP, KitGuru, & JonnyGuru. The 650w and 750w will perform similarly.

The only other units I could suggest against it would cost more without giving you a tangible benefit besides being either quieter at full load, digital monitoring functionality, or RGB Sync for the fan.
    I am in the USA. I know a lot of deals seem to happen on Power Supplies from what I can tell. There any other options to look for if they go on sale? Or do you just advise the Cougar regardless because of its relative value for the price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daps View Post
    I am in the USA. I know a lot of deals seem to happen on Power Supplies from what I can tell. There any other options to look for if they go on sale? Or do you just advise the Cougar regardless because of its relative value for the price?
    There are tons of good units out there which would work. If you're in need of a power supply right now, that unit offers good performance and value so I would just say to buy it instead of trying to find the right sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Corsair RM550x is a good choice for 80 dollars after rebate.
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-s...82E16817139231

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not in a huge hurry as I am waiting on a case and waiting to see if gpu prices come down a little with the competition from AMD or a drop with the discontinuation of the RTX 2070 or RTXS 2080. I've already seen the RTX 2070 come down to $390 for one model. Also waiting on some more reviews that include the whole range of AMD Ryzen chips before deciding which chip to go with. Not much has been made available about the 3600, 3600x, or 3800x. A bunch of the new cases announced at Computex come out beginning of August so that is probably my time frame. Might buy parts here and there if I see deals on them over the next few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

In August the custom RX 5700 (XT) cards should also launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daps View Post
    I'm not in a huge hurry as I am waiting on a case and waiting to see if gpu prices come down a little with the competition from AMD...
    Since you're not in a huge hurry then I would say either wait and see what is available when you're looking to upgrade or check r/BuildAPCSales, as you can then snag a better unit for a good price.

I would look for something from one of these series:
    Corsair RM, RMi, RMx, HX, HXi
    EVGA G2, G3
    Phanteks Revolt
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Sync

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Corsair RM550x is a good choice for 80 dollars after rebate.
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-s...82E16817139231
    There is also whisper m 550 for $80 and formula gold 550 for $70 both without rebate on newegg...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    In August the custom RX 5700 (XT) cards should also launch.
    And I highly recommend waiting for them as I think its possible to have increased TDP (225W) and thus also Clockrates/Performance.

I have a 5700XT (sadly) and its OK from the noise point - at Default, though you do not have any headroom and the Card gets rather hot (80-85C)...

And with just 2 clicks, the Card boosts to 2GHz (+50% TDP)...