Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair "hierarchy"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Default Corsair "hierarchy"

They used to have a page on Corsair.com with a table that showed all of the features of each Corsair PSU and how they differ. It's not there anymore... or it's well hidden.

The letters don't really mean anything, so it can be really confusing which Corsair PSU is better than another.

So I put this list together. The PSUs are ranked from "high end" to "low end":

• AX1600i: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C. All analog ICs replaced with MCUs (fully digital). PSU has monitoring capability via LINK or iCUE. Has a very unique bridgeless totem-pole front end with GaN transistors.
    • AX: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU w/o monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C. Until I say otherwise, all of these PSUs use a LLC resonant front end and DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V rails.
    • HXi: Platinum efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU, but with monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C.
    • HX: Platinum efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU w/o monitoring, but a switch to choose between single and multiple +12V rail. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C
    • RMi: Gold efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU, but with monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C
    • RMx: Gold efficiency, fully modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C. From here on down, all of the PSUs are analog without any kind of monitoring or control via Corsair Link or iCUE.
    • TX-M: Gold efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50C
    • RM (new): Gold efficiency, fully modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. Supports new Modern Standby Mode and meets new 2% efficiency requirement of 70%. No Japanese caps. Rated at 40C.
    • Vengeance Silver: 80 PLUS Silver efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. Has a switch to choose between single and multiple +12V rail. All Japanese caps. Rated at 40C.
    • CX: Bronze efficiency, non-modular, rifle bearing fan. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40C.
    • CX-M: Bronze efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan. This and the VS are the only Corsair PSUs that aren't LLC and have a double forward front end. That said, CX-M at least has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40C.
    • VS: Regular 80 PLUS efficiency. Non-modular. Sleeve bearing fan. No Japanese caps. Rated at 30C. Double forward and no DC to DC.

Older versions of the series currently in production:

• AXi: Used to be a full line of Platinum digital power supplies with DBB fans.
    • AX: Used to be Platinum and before that Gold efficiency and with DBB fans.
    • HX: Corsair's original PSU series. It was originally 80 PLUS, then Bronze, then Gold. It used to be semi-modular and always had a DBB fan until the most recent Platinum version.
    • RM: Prior to the most recent RM and before the RMx and RMi, the original RM was Corsair's first fully modular Gold PSU. It only had a Japanese bulk cap and was only rated at 40C. It did have an I2C connector that reported +12V rail load and fan speed to Corsair LINK. This was also the first Corsair PSU to have a Zero RPM fan mode.
    • TX and TX-M: Use to be a semi-modular unit with Bronze efficiency. Totally overbuilt for a Bronze PSU and therefore too expensive. DBB fan.

Completely discontinued:

• CS-M: Gold efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40C. Replaced by TX-M.
    • Vengeance Bronze: 80 PLUS Bronze efficiency. Came in fixed cable and semi-modular versions. Rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 40C. Replaced by Vengeance Silver.
    • GS: Very similar feature-wise to CX-M (same topology, etc.) but with an R- G- B- fan that could be changed with a push button on the housing.
    • VX: Was cheaper than HX, but still built like a tank and too expensive, so it didn't last long in the market.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

GDILord (07-14-2019), Raven Rampkin (08-02-2019), SilverStone (07-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Why not place it again on Corsair's website. Probably more helpful there than here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Why not place it again on Corsair's website. Probably more helpful there than here.
    Don't look at me. I didn't ask them to take it down.

I think the web team at Corsair suffers from too much work, not enough workers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Current lineup is so clean!

No 'VALUESELECT' line? XD
    edit:: oh it was a joke, and I realized... is VS ValueSelect?
    and how those 'meaningless' lineup names were named? Is it completely meaningless?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    is VS ValueSelect?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    and how those 'meaningless' lineup names were named? Is it completely meaningless?
    No idea. Wish I could nuke the whole thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    . . . No idea. Wish I could nuke the whole thing.
    If not you, then who? And what designators would you put in their place?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

GDILord (07-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    If not you, then who?
    Marketing department, most likely. Useless idiots in most cases, globally speaking... Hats off to the rare exceptions to this rule.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    If not you, then who? And what designators would you put in their place?
    I wouldn't use the 80 PLUS hierarchy and I wouldn't use letters. I would use a series of names that depicted a sense of different levels of quality.

Originally it was "HX" (Hero), "AX" (Alpha), "VX" (Value), "GS" (Gaming Series).... then the marketing guy got cranky and made "CX" (Cheap). Then "VS" (Value again). No idea where T in TX came from. Then things went completely off the rails with RM because the PM couldn't think of a name, the code name for the project was "Robbins" and so he named it "RM" for "Robbins Modular". The same PM also named "CS-M". It was the "C" from the "CX" and the "S" from the project name, which was "Simon".

Vengeance was kind of a joke. We already had the name for memory and cases, but then when Germany wanted their own PSU because Thermaltake had their own German market PSU, we decided on Vengeance named after German "V-Weapons" (Vergeltungswaffe).

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (07-14-2019), McSteel (07-14-2019), Raven Rampkin (08-02-2019), rgbodosk (07-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I wouldn't use the 80 PLUS hierarchy and I wouldn't use letters. I would use a series of names that depicted a sense of different levels of quality.

Originally it was "HX" (Hero), "AX" (Alpha), "VX" (Value), "GS" (Gaming Series).... then the marketing guy got cranky and made "CX" (Cheap). Then "VS" (Value again). No idea where T in TX came from. Then things went completely off the rails with RM because the PM couldn't think of a name, the code name for the project was "Robbins" and so he named it "RM" for "Robbins Modular". The same PM also named "CS-M". It was the "C" from the "CX" and the "S" from the project name, which was "Simon".

Vengeance was kind of a joke. We already had the name for memory and cases, but then when Germany wanted their own PSU because Thermaltake had their own German market PSU, we decided on Vengeance named after German "V-Weapons" (Vergeltungswaffe).
    Actually, that is exactly the kind of explanation that makes sense -- as an explanation.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    For people that think a company can "just put it up on the website" as if it's as easy as that.... need to read "The Phoenix Project" by Gene Kim and Kevin Behr.