Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Best 500/600W semi passive PSU?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Best 500/600W semi passive PSU?

    Hi everyone,
    I'm planning to build a new PC and I'm looking for a good PSU.
    This will be my build:
    - ryzen 3 3700x or 3600x
    - gtx 970 -> I will replace it when there will be a decent 350 gpu
    - no hdd or external drive, only the m2 on the motherboard
    - 2 to 4 fans
    - I will use the sleep function a lot since I'll probably need wake on lan function.

    I'm looking for a psu between 500 and 600W to power it. I want to be as quiet as possible, so it should be a semipassive psu, possibly with a silent fan when running. Maybe a be quiet! psu can be fine since they have a really low noise, but only if they are way better than competitor.

    I really hate the noise of the computer, so I'm building it to be nearly impossible to hear, apart while gaming.

    Can someone suggest me the best psu for 100 for what I want?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I advise you to look Corsair RMX series, because they are probably the quietest or one of the quietest semi-passive on the market. You should buy RM550x or RM650x with your budget.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks! The Corsair was the one I was looking for. I was wondering if there was something better for the same price or little more (like 120).
    This what I can get for 120:
    - Seasonic Focus PCGH 550 Gold (80+ Gold) [SSR-550FX-PCGH] 110
    - Enermax Platimax D.F. 80+ Platinum [EPF600AWT] 115
    - Silverstone SST-ST55F-PT (80+ Platinum) [SST-ST55F-PT] 117
    - Seasonic Prime Ultra (80+ Platinum) [SSR-550PD2] 120
    - Seasonic Focus+ ATX Certificato 80PLus Platinum [SSR-550PX] 100
    - Seasonic Prime Ultra (80+ Gold) [SSR-550GD2] 100
    - FSP Hydro PTM VR Ready Full Modular 120mm (80+ Platinum) 100
    - Corsair RM550x 90

    I heard that Seasonic make great psu, but I also heard that they are loud :/ I was going for the Rm550x, but I'm not sure if the other PSU are worth the price.
    I plan to keep my psu for even 10 years like I did with my old Corsair HX750.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,070
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    538
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    274
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    I heard that Seasonic make great psu, but I also heard that they are loud :/ I was going for the Rm550x, but I'm not sure if the other PSU are worth the price.
    I plan to keep my psu for even 10 years like I did with my old Corsair HX750.
    Why do you have reason to believe the RMx isn't well made and wouldn't last you 10 years like your HX750?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,315
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    379
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

    Default

    Corsair RM550x is the most interesting one.

    And about the graphics card, the RTX 2060 should start around 350 euros. With a price like that, it's one of the better graphics card in terms of price/performance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    thanks for the advice! I don't doubt that the RM550x is a great psu, but I always double check :P
    Also looking for the 2060 super if the street price will be lower. 430 is too much

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,315
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    379
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

    Default

    I don't expect it to be less than 400 euros the first couple of months. Maybe AMD is gonna sell the RX 5700 for less than 400 euros, because of the RTX 2060 Super.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,964
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    55
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    - gtx 970

    - 2 to 4 fans

    I want to be as quiet as possible...

    And you are worried about the power supply fan?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

    Jon Gerow (07-02-2019)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,641
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    66
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    I'm looking for a psu between 500 and 600W to power it. I want to be as quiet as possible, so it should be a semipassive psu, possibly with a silent fan when running. Maybe a be quiet! psu can be fine since they have a really low noise, but only if they are way better than competitor.

    I really hate the noise of the computer, so I'm building it to be nearly impossible to hear, apart while gaming.

    Can someone suggest me the best psu for 100 for what I want?
    be quiet Straight Power 11/550W is a good choice for example.

    Semi Fanless is not necessary for a well designed 550W unit with a low RPM fan, if controlled correctly.
    And with a good motor, it also doesn't have too much motor noise.

    So its more a question of the design, less if the fan runs or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    :
    1. - Seasonic Focus PCGH 550 Gold (80+ Gold) [SSR-550FX-PCGH] 110
    2. - Enermax Platimax D.F. 80+ Platinum [EPF600AWT] 115
    3. - Silverstone SST-ST55F-PT (80+ Platinum) [SST-ST55F-PT] 117
    4. - FSP Hydro PTM VR Ready Full Modular 120mm (80+ Platinum) 100
    5. - Corsair RM550x 90
    1. I wouldn't chose that and neither the
    2. The Enermax Revolution DF is something I'd prefer over the Platimax, if available
    3. The Strider Platinum is OK, have the Platinum and so far it looks good.
    4. FSP also is a decent Option, though that VR is just marketing nonsense.
    5. RMX is also decent...


    As said earlier, I'd look at the be quiet Straight Power but also Bitfenix Whisper M (550W, not 650W!)...
    And the mentioned Enermax Revolution DF

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    :
    I heard that Seasonic make great psu, but I also heard that they are loud :/ I was going for the Rm550x, but I'm not sure if the other PSU are worth the price.
    Well, they tend to be on the louder side and also use noticable fans as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansem1 View Post
    :
    I plan to keep my psu for even 10 years like I did with my old Corsair HX750.
    I'd not plan for that as you/we do not know what the future will bring. And changes could mean that it might not be a good idea to use older PSU with new Components...

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    be quiet Straight Power 11/550W is a good choice for example.

    Semi Fanless is not necessary for a well designed 550W unit with a low RPM fan, if controlled correctly.
    And with a good motor, it also doesn't have too much motor noise.

    So its more a question of the design, less if the fan runs or not.
    Thanks a lot for the help!
    I was considering the Straight power 11 too, since it's quiet even if not fanless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Well, they tend to be on the louder side and also use noticable fans as well.
    Then is a nope I want to make my pc as quiet as possible while in idle. Maybe the Platinum Ultra has a new type of fans, so I will conside it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    I'd not plan for that as you/we do not know what the future will bring. And changes could mean that it might not be a good idea to use older PSU with new Components...
    I think my PC will last at least 7/8 years like the previews one, that's why I plan to keep it that long.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    1. I wouldn't chose that and neither the
    2. The Enermax Revolution DF is something I'd prefer over the Platimax, if available
    3. The Strider Platinum is OK, have the Platinum and so far it looks good.
    4. FSP also is a decent Option, though that VR is just marketing nonsense.
    5. RMX is also decent...
    6. Bitfenix Whisper M (550W, not 650W!)...


    And the mentioned Enermax Revolution DF
    The Enermax Platimax is 110 for 500W and 125 for the 600W.
    The Bitfenix is 125, for that price I would rather buy a Platinum PSU.

    So it seems that the choise is between:
    - Corsair RM550x ->90/100
    - Be quiet Straight power 11 -> 95
    - Seasonic Prime Ultra (80+ Platinum) [SSR-550PD2] 120

    Is the seasonic worth 20/30 more than Corsair and Be quiet? And between the Be quiet and Corsair, which is the best PSU, noise asaid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •