Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeve bearing fans on power supplies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeve bearing fans on power supplies

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding sleeve bearing fans.

I learned that they shouldn't be mounted horizontally or they will wear out way sooner than their rated life or will just start making noises really early.

So if that applies for case fans, then why do manufacturers use sleeve bearing fans on power supplies where they can only be mounted horizontally and overall we don't see people complaining about their power supply fans making noises after a while or just dying?

Is it because this principle only applies for most sleeve bearing fans but not all? Can some manufacturers avoid these problems better than others? I see a lot of Yate Loon and Hong Hua fans being used in cheap power supplies and they don't seen to present these problems at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

No. Sleeve bearing fans in PSUs suck. The problem is, they start making noise after the warranty is up, so you don't hear many complaints about it.

Also, the failure rate of a horizontally mounted sleeve bearing fan isn't 100% after X number of hours. Some last longer than others. I've had some last over five years while the same make/model fan won't even make it out of the burn in chamber on day one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Some last longer than others. I've had some last over five years while the same make/model fan won't even make it out of the burn in chamber on day one.

Sounds like the amount of oil put in (or not); I've had fans fail early that then just keep on going once oiled up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Sounds like the amount of oil put in (or not); I've had fans fail early that then just keep on going once oiled up.
    Right. But when you're dealing with a hand assembly process in a dirty Chinese factory, you create your own crap shoot.

There are solutions that are better assembled from reputable Taiwan or Japan based companies, but then they're so expensive that you can get a better bearing in a cheaper fan, so that's the route that you take.

I've come to have ZERO trust in any sleeve bearing fans that come inside PSUs. Not zero trust in sleeve bearings in general. Just zero trust in those used in PSUs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I recall the Securifi Almond

* I got an early unit (second hand) and the screen faded after a few weeks; got my own replacement screen and have run it 24/7 for 2 years without the slightest sign of fading (I like it showing the weather). I believe the problem is caused by the protective front panel de-laminating from the LCD screen (a manufacturing issue)

* More recently got an Almond 3 (again second hand) and it would lock up at room temperature due to a bad surface mount capacitor that probably cost less than 10 cents

It wouldn't mean much except both problems are seen by many people and I imagine it may destroy the company, all from seeking out savings in production. For the sleeve fan a drop of oil must be at less than 1 cent cost, even if fully synthetic.

Gives one a whole new appreciation of the task of people like you whose job is so much more than just arranging for the assembly of a set of components.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

It's not the cost of oil. It's the production process.

It's surprising how little automation there is in Chinese factories.

If we had more automation, we wouldn't need China so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    If we had more automation, we wouldn't need China so much.

If automation could compete with cheap labor, I imagine we would be using it.

Read some place that the U.S. has too many Engineers and not enough techies, so one must pay an Engineer to reprogram that automation when a techie could do it for less (seems Japan has a better balance); but I'm just an armchair philosopher and not in the trenches. You, on the other hand, see it first hand.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    If automation could compete with cheap labor, I imagine we would be using it.

Read some place that the U.S. has too many Engineers and not enough techies, so one must pay an Engineer to reprogram that automation when a techie could do it for less (seems Japan has a better balance); but I'm just an armchair philosopher and not in the trenches. You, on the other hand, see it first hand.
    I know nothing about this because nothing that is done in my market is made using automation.....

Because: China.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

At some point recently someone suggested a movie of a power supply production line; now that really would be interesting.

Is it all in-house including the circuit board production?
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the response!