Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU power cable thickness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default PSU wall power cable thickness

I bought few days ago Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W, and I love it. I transfer my old Corsair HX750i to my other build, and during the transfer I noticed that PSU cable from HX750i is a like 2-3mm thicker than on 850W Seasonic. And I was like okay, I will ask here because I know there are certain people here who will explain it to me properly why did they put thicker cable on stronger PSU. And other question is, should I use that thicker one or what do you suggest ?
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 06-16-2019 at 03:26 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thermaltake For This Useful Post:

awesomegamer919 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    And other question is, should I use that thicker one or what do you suggest ?
    If you mean that you want to replace the power cables between two psus - it's normally not compatible at all. Even if the connector holes fits right, pin layout may be different, so if replaced, it can cause serious damage. You should check it before trying to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This HX750i review from 2015 shows the cable set is all ribbons which tend to be 18awg (wire gauge/thickness) accept perhaps the 24pin which in some cases can be a thicker 16awg (mostly); Seasonic uses a 100% 18awg set but the 24pin isn't cross-compatible (non-interchangeable) between these brands, so which cable or cables in the Corsair appear to be 2-3mm thicker? Did you mean the main wall socket power cord? If so they can be swapped, you're free to use the thicker one (typically I'd compare the text on the cable & use the thicker one), but I wouldn't worry about a marginally thicker cord on the 750 vs 850, it just means one company chose to splurge on a fatter cord and the other didn't, but each was surely shipped out with a proper cord that meets specs & safety ...
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Guys,

I think he's talking about the power cord.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

rgbodosk (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes.. Corsair use thickness us type power cord. Because it work in 110v . more current flow than eu 230v power cord seasonic use. If you work in distributors you can ask them what power cord you like or your country outlet type

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cass-Olé View Post
    This HX750i review from 2015 shows the cable set is all ribbons which tend to be 18awg (wire gauge/thickness) accept perhaps the 24pin which in some cases can be a thicker 16awg (mostly); Seasonic uses a 100% 18awg set but the 24pin isn't cross-compatible (non-interchangeable) between these brands, so which cable or cables in the Corsair appear to be 2-3mm thicker? Did you mean the main wall socket power cord? If so they can be swapped, you're free to use the thicker one (typically I'd compare the text on the cable & use the thicker one), but I wouldn't worry about a marginally thicker cord on the 750 vs 850, it just means one company chose to splurge on a fatter cord and the other didn't, but each was surely shipped out with a proper cord that meets specs & safety ...
    I'm talking about wall socket power cord.

So should I use original one that shipped with Seasonic or is it better to use thicker from corsair ? I mean I always thought that thicker ones are better because they could handle more power and won't get hot or melt if PSU is in heavy use. I know both of them meets theirs specs & safety as you said, but you know I was just wondering why is it thicker and is that usually better or maybe this new PSU is more modern and don't need that kind of thick cable or something.

I compare them a little they are both Kema-Keur cables. That thicker one have some 250/440V ordinary.... written on it and something 1.5mm2... That thicker one is 0.75mm2, I guess thats thickness of the cables inside the shield.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 06-16-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I missunderstood lol

I guess thats thickness of the cables inside the shield.
    Yes that is the sectional area of the conductor. There might be no difference between two cables at that input range, so it's your choice.

I guess thats thickness of the cables inside the shield.
    Guessing it just depends on manufacturers' priority or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Or maybe like Cass-Olé said, that company just chose to splurge on power cord and earn some money on it.

I was always thinking that fatter cable is better than thiner when it comes to PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

For the same power delivery 110V causes 4 times as much heating in a cable than 220V so your thinner cable should be fine (it is only carrying 4 amp at 220V for 880W); the thinner cable should be fine at 220V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

The problem is, when you sell a FULL RANGE product, the power cord has to be able to support FULL RANGE.

So even if 230V mains is typical, if it can drop to 120V for whatever reason, the cord has to support it or it won't get certified with the product you're shipping it with.

And in some regions, it's not unusual to see mains voltage drop to nearly half. In South East Asia, you have a hell of a time selling 230V only PSUs and expecting the customer to not complain about their PC always shutting off.