Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU without in-cable capacitors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the new system has been built and I did screw up a little. I opted to not choose for the white PSU after all and just changed the version to black on Amazon. Obviously I then received the version with in-cable caps. A mistake on my part, but I went with it nonetheless.

What I am now noticing however, is that any GPU-task makes the PSU generate coil whine. Just letting the computer sit idle (as for example right now, me typing up this post) makes it beep ever so softly almost as a telegram. When I move the mouse pointer and keep moving it, it is a constant whine. If I start up any game and play it is also a constant, but this time louder whine. My setup has dual monitors and if I'm gaming, as soon as I focus for example Firefox on the second monitor, the coil whine becomes much softer.

I've never before had any sort of coil whine and my previous RM650x did not have any coil whine whatsoever. Is there anything I should or try? Perhaps I should order a new PSU and send the old one back? If I order the same unit, it would be as simple as disconnecting the wires and replacing the unit itself. My cable-management wouldn't suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Illined View Post
    I've never before had any sort of coil whine and my previous RM650x did not have any coil whine whatsoever. Is there anything I should or try? Perhaps I should order a new PSU and send the old one back? If I order the same unit, it would be as simple as disconnecting the wires and replacing the unit itself. My cable-management wouldn't suffer.
    Yeah. You could try that.

How loud is it? We're not talking about a noise you have to hold your ear up to the PSU to hear, are we?

What is the CP part number of the RM650x you ordered? What is the CP part number of your old RM650x?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The extra coil whine in videogames actually came from the GPU. I've replaced the GPU over the weekend and the newer card, while still having a buzz ingame, is inaudible.

The PSU has an intermittent high pitched tone while idle which I can hear just sitting at the computer. It is audible above the fans. When I move the cursor the intermittent high pitched tone becomes a steady high pitched tone until I stop moving the cursor. I do not have to have my ear next to the PSU to hear it. As for the part number it is CP-9020179-EU. I didn't actually get another RM650x, I got a RM750x. I'm even considering to put the 750 in the old computer (which I'm giving away to my mother-in-law) and putting the 650 unit in my case. The cables are identical anyway.

It's either that or I RMA the unit I have. Of course an RMA might not actually solve the issue, I could just as well receive a different unit with the same issue.

Edit: I went ahead and replaced the PSU only to notice that it isn't the PSU making the high pitched tone. Since the GPU has also already been replaced, it must be something else. So I put my ear close to the drives, but those are also not the culprits. I stopped all the fans and the pitch didn't go away. That means it's either the AIO or the motherboard making the noise. I don't have a replacement for either. What would be the most likely here?
    Last edited by Illined; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:56 PM.