Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU without in-cable capacitors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU without in-cable capacitors

In january of 2017 I replaced my old Seasonic PSU with a new Corsair RMx650. The old unit was due for an upgrade, having lasted three different builds before. My biggest grope with the corsair unit however, being someone who likes tidy cable management, are the in-cable capacitors. It's absolutely impossible to decently tuck the VGA cable away (it is currently just pushing against the side of the window).

Since I am doing a totally new build, I'm looking for a good PSU to go with it. The setup I'll be going for would be:
    - AMD Ryzen 3900x
    - Asus X570 Prime Pro
    - G.skill TridentZ 32GB 3600C17D
    - nVidia 1070GTX (this and the storage is about the only thing not being replaced)
    - 2 x HDD
    - 2 x SSD SATA + 1 m.2 PCI-E
    - Kraken X62 including 5 extra casefans

All of this is going into a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic case, which has the PSU neatly tucked away in a compartment in the back, with the fan facing outward towards the side of the case.

I was looking at the be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W. I believe 750W should be more than enough to get a decent overclock and to switch to later upgrade the VGA. The most important features for me are:
    - Fully modular
    - Absolutely no in-cable capacitors
    - Not noisy

The casefans I'm looking at are the Enermax T.B. RGB. If anyone has any recommendations in this department then it also welcomed. The important features here are noise and equiped with RGB (although not too fancy, I'm looking to have all leds be permanently one colour, possibly white).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Illined View Post
    In january of 2017 I replaced my old Seasonic PSU with a new Corsair RMx650. The old unit was due for an upgrade, having lasted three different builds before. My biggest grope with the corsair unit however, being someone who likes tidy cable management, are the in-cable capacitors. It's absolutely impossible to decently tuck the VGA cable away (it is currently just pushing against the side of the window).
    Why not just get a cable kit for your RM650x? Seems like a waste to replace a perfectly good PSU just because you don't like the cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should probably have mentioned that I am keeping the other build nearly intact since I'm donating it to my mother-in-law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

The new RM doesn't have caps in the cables FWIW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So should I the new one over the be quiet! one?

And if the problem of the caps is easily overcome by a cable kit, doesn't that have a detrimental effect on the use of the PSU? I mean, why would a manufacturer add in cable caps if it serves no purpose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

I mean, why would a manufacturer add in cable caps if it serves no purpose?
    To get better reviews.

Look at the reviews of the RMx and then the RM. They literally only shaved 5mV of ripple off by putting caps in the cables. A completely indiscernible amount. But at the time the RMx was ready to launch, EVGA G2 was already on the market, with caps in the cables and the review stacked it over the RMx because of 5mV of ripple. 5mV OF RIPPLE!!!!

It's a numbers game. Especially if you're going to get reviewed by Aris (Tom's Hardware and Tech Power Up) and have your product stacked up against others in comparison charts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, thanks Jon! I see the RM650x comes in a white version too, which would suit the build well. Would you recommend I stay with 650watts or should I upgrade to 750watts? Is there any other difference between this model and the be quiet! one?

I did also have a look at a cable kit, but saw that was nearly equally priced as a new unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Okay, thanks Jon! I see the RM650x comes in a white version too, which would suit the build well. Would you recommend I stay with 650watts or should I upgrade to 750watts?
    Well, there is no white RM650x because it would only be $10 less retail than the 750W.

I know, I know... Some people would want to save that $10. I cringe when I'm in meetings and upper management says, "just get rid of the 650W. People will just go up to the 750W." Really? They will? You know this?

Anyway... Just remember there's two versions of the white RM750x. One with "normal" cables that are white and have white sleeves (no capacitors) or the one with the individually sleeved cables (has caps in the middle of the cable). Part numbers are CP-9020187 and CP-9020155 respectively.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (06-16-2019), Illined (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    "just get rid of the 650W. People will just go up to the 750W."

I find many models may be a good marketing trick.

If there are say only two models in a series, say 450W and 750W, I may just get what is right for me; but if there are many steps 450W, 550W, 650W and 750W I may look at what I need and argue 'just $10 for the next step up' and end up talking myself into the 750W

Not sure that everyone is as stupid as me.

So I would argue that the 650W might be what is needed to have people go with the 750W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I find many models may be a good marketing trick.

If there are say only two models in a series, say 450W and 750W, I may just get what is right for me; but if there are many steps 450W, 550W, 650W and 750W I may look at what I need and argue 'just $10 for the next step up' and end up talking myself into the 750W

Not sure that everyone is as stupid as me.

So I would argue that the 650W might be what is needed to have people go with the 750W
    Or have people just buy a completely different brand that comes in a 650W.