Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Too many PSUs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help! Too many PSUs!

Dear JonnyGURUnians hello!

I am new to the forum and I would first of all would like to congratulate everyone for such a valuable site and active community.

After my PSU died a few days ago (thank God it didn't fry anything), I went on searching for a replacement. But... Too many PSUs to choose from! Please help, it is a jungle of PSUs out there!

My system is as below:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K-5 AX-370
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 (to be overclocked up to 3.6 GHz from the stock 3.2GHz)
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5770 (my old one). Maybe I will upgrade to a recent medium-tier card (no Ti's or Vegas)
    RAM: 2 x 8GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz
    SSD: 1xM2 Samsung Evo 960 256Gb
    Case fans: 1x140mm, 2x120mm.
    USB devices: 2xUSB 3.0, 2xUSB 2.0
    Monitor: 1 LCD 24 inch monitor

Budget: 80 Euros (or less).

Preferences:
    • Rather silent
    • Gold certification
    • Modular (semi is fine)

Recommendation based on OuterVision
    The calculator from www.outervision.com gave me a recommendation for 452 Watts.
    Please also note that I am planning to add soon a new video card (mid-tier).

My eyes are towards the below PSUs which I find in Greece with shipping included:

My PSU research:
    • Antec Earthwatts PRO Gold 550W (77 Euros)
    • Seasonic Focus Gold 450W (71 Euros)
    • Be Quiet Pure Power 11 500W CM (72 Euros)
    • Corsair TX-M Series TX550M (71 Euros)
    • CoolerMaster MWE Gold 550 (79 Euros)

So, which one do you think is the sweetest PSU for my system?
    Feel free to recommend others too! I am open to suggestions since I am just beginning to understand the features of a good PSU (thanks to your great forum!)

Thank you all in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Focus Gold and the Pure Power 11 are the best options in your case. The Earthwatts Pro and TX-M are louder. The MWE Gold might be crap, I don't know it yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Microflop For This Useful Post:

ManoLee (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

tx550m has a nice warranty which matters for some people
    be quiet pure power 11, if you prefer very silent psus .
    all the psus which you mention are good quality, you can't go wrong with any of them , so perhaps you want to pick based on warranty or noise level
    the wattage really depends on what gpu you want to get in the future,for your current gpu even 400w psu is enough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehillday For This Useful Post:

ManoLee (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your replies guys.

As for my future GPU it could be an AMD RX580, nothing above that. Will the be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W handle it ok with the rest of my setup? What about the Seasonic if I go with that? Maybe the 550Watt would be more ideal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

500w is enough for the rx 580 , be quiet pure power 11 will do the job

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehillday For This Useful Post:

ManoLee (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you bluehillday and Microflop for your answers.

Just minutes ago, I got an email from a shop near me that has the Be Quiet! Dark Straight Power 11 for 85 Euros! To be frank, I am thinking about it. It is just 13 Euros above the be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W...
    On the other hand, from the excellent reviews I have read in the forum and for that price point (80-100 Euros), I am really into the Corsair RMx 550 which I find for 90 Euros. Corsair gave this unit a 10 year warranty!!! How did they do that?

Sorry to bust your... nerves, but from these two which one would you get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

be quiet Straight Power 11 is a great PSU, just like the Corsair RMx. But the be quiet! is better imo, only the warranty is shorter. Better cables, better fan and multiple OCP's on the 12V.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

ManoLee (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    be quiet Straight Power 11 is a great PSU, just like the Corsair RMx. But the be quiet! is better imo, only the warranty is shorter. Better cables, better fan and multiple OCP's on the 12V.
    Yeap, warranty is something not easy to overlook since the Corsair has double the years (and that is 5 more) than the be Quier!

One thing to note here, is that I found the Corsair RM550x (for 90 euros) from a third party retailer and not an authorized one so I don't know if the warranty will be valid if I get it from there.

On the Corsair website it says that the warranty is valid only if purchased from an authorized retailer (who sell it for 110 euros) but just to make sure I have opened a ticket with their sales to clarify this. If this is true, then the be quiet! Straight Power 11 is for sure my next PSU!

I will send an update when I hear back from Corsair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManoLee View Post
    Yeap, warranty is something not easy to overlook since the Corsair has double the years (and that is 5 more) than the be Quiet!

One thing to note here, is that I found the Corsair RM550x (for 90 euros) from a third party retailer and not an authorized one so I don't know if the warranty will be valid if I get it from there.

On the Corsair website it says that the warranty is valid only if purchased from an authorized retailer (who sell it for 110 euros) but just to make sure I have opened a ticket with their sales to clarify this. If this is true, then the be quiet! Straight Power 11 is for sure my next PSU!

I will send an update when I hear back from Corsair.
    While I was waiting for Corsair to respond regarding the warranty question (no answer yet), I couldn't help myself from reading more reviews in the forum.

And there it was! The Seasonic Focus Gold 550W! Wow, the review from Oklahoma Wolf made it look sooo goooood!

It passed all tests with flying colors, it is silent, it is super stable and efficient and on top of that it has a 10 year warranty!

So, last question (I promise!)

Between the be Quiet! Straight Power 11 550W and the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W which one would you get? And why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

be quiet, because the Seasonic isn't a great PSU. The PSU has optimisations to perform great in reviews but has different problems in real life. One of those problems could occur if you gonna combine it with a high end graphics card. First revision shutdown, second revision has ripple going out of spec.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

ManoLee (06-05-2019)