Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Famous question: which budget PSU for our systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famous question: which budget PSU for our systems?

Hello there people,

i am going to build few pcs for my family, got addicted to FPS and they play all together in different teams during the evening, but their actual computers are old potatoes - no Apex Legends for them (still in the AMD Phenom era)... so i've decided to help them buying some cheap 2nd hands i3/i5 from HP/Asus/Fujitsu/whatever brand and pimp them up, adding a decent video card, a bit of Ram and of course a PSU.

So the specs are the following:
    - PC 1 Fujitsu Esprimo P520: i5 4570 3.6 Ghz - GTX 960 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 sata drive 320gb - 1 optical drive - OEM mobo - current PSU https://imgur.com/r53thvh
    - PC 2 Asus Essentio CM6870-BN001O: i5 3330 3.2 Ghz Radeon HD 7870 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 sata drive 320gb - 1 optical drive - OEM mobo - current PSU: HBA005-ZA1GT ACBEL 350W https://microdream.co.uk/acbel-hba00...itional_tabbed
    - PC 3 Fujitsu Esprimo P700: i3 3220 3.3 Ghz GTX 760 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 sata drive 320gb - 1 optical drive - OEM mobo - current PSU https://imgur.com/r53thvh
    *** i didnt receive the Fujitsu yet but i know the model numbers, so i looked up the datasheets to find the possible built-in PSU
    They play an average of 6h/day, a bit more during the weekend.

The PSU budget is up to 35 euro but i would like to stay around more like around 30 euro or below if possible, them savings are all gone with these latest purchases hahah!
    I was looking at this never heard and cheap brands like Inter-Tech / Xilence / Ewent / Spire / LC-Power, but they look all the same to me, so here i am asking some Gurus help.
    This is the website you can use as reference for prices and products: https://tweakers.net/categorie/664/voedingen/producten/

Me and my fellow gamers thank you in advance for any hints.

***Edit: added pc fabricants and model nr along with current PSU pics
    Last edited by noirex; 06-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Where are the PSU's that came with those builds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Where are the PSU's that came with those builds?
    Hey The Mask, thanks for your reply. I edited the original post adding the PSU pictures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Those Fujitsu PSUs are proprietary, so the motherboard is too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

noirex (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all right Jon thanks for the heads up, i will have some extra work to do, i didnt know about the proprietary issue... but well, i will either resell the fujitsu then or try to switch parts around. In any case the configs will remain pretty much the same, coz i can find more setup built around these i3/i5 3/4x cpus, so id still need a little help to pick the psu for the 3 systems the Asus isnt proprietary so i can chance the PSU straight away on this

*** Edit
    I did a little research and i can buy some adapters from 24 to 16 pins for 3/4 euro, they are made for Dell/Lenovo/IBM systems, didnt dig properly into it yet coz im about to go to sleep but i think there could be a solution to the proprietary connectors
    Will keep you guys updated about the adapters, probably will help more peeps out there
    Last edited by noirex; 06-04-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

You can't easily replace the PSU on the Fujitsu Systems. You at least need an Adaptor - with Boost Converter.
    Those are not really worth it. So I'd say stick with it. And also kinda risky as the Original PSU are specified for 2A on 12V - or 24W. That equals roughly 5A on 5V...

That only leaves the ASUS PC, that can be replaced. And the Cheapest one is be quiet System Power 9 with 400W.

The Rest is 12V Only!
    ...with 12V Standby...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

noirex (06-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Allright Stefan, resell the fujitsu, understood
    Is the Be Quiet the only viable option? Id like to stay max on the 30 euro budget if possible. Is none of these cheap brands listed an option (Inter-Tech / Xilence / Ewent / Spire / LC-Power)?
    Last edited by noirex; 06-05-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Those brands or mostly known for their overpriced crap.

But why do you want to replace the power supplies, because you need (more) PEG connectors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was thinking i'd have to replace the psu for something with more power to run my setups. Are a 280w and a 350w power supply enough then? I thought i needed at least a 400w psu to run these setups... i know i can buy adapters from molex to peg, i was more wondering if the actual psu had enough power that's why i wanted to replace them. Ok im kinda lost now hahah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

The adaptor needs to be active to get 12V standby
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.