Thread: vrm temps changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default vrm temps changed

so i replaced my old fsp psu with a corsair rm650x. so, as you know the fan doesn't even kick in until the unit gets hot.Untill now i didn't notice it starting once. The thing is that the VRM MOS temps , as seen in hwinfo are 5-6 degrees C higher now with the new unit (in idle or very low demanding taks like a video streaming) , the sensor ''system'' temps are also around 5 degrees C higher. i do know for a fact that these temps increased because i have monitorized the temps constantly. Now my question is : Can it be because the fsp's fan which always ran, had an impact on the temperatures around the mobo? Btw , the psu placement was top with the fan facing down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Yes, probably the original power supply fan that helped air flow, but the extra temperature might be acceptable.
    My hard drive is running at 30C, if this became 40C (just over body temperature) I'd have no concerns.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-31-2019 at 09:03 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (06-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Yes, probably the original power supply fan that helped air flow, but the extra temperature might be acceptable.
    My hard drive is running at 30C, if this became 40C (just over body temperature) I'd have no concerns.
    i do know that 5 degrees C increase is not a tragedy but it still bugs me a bit that those temps raised just like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

What is your case?
    How your PSU is mounted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluehillday View Post
    i do know that 5 degrees C increase is not a tragedy but it still bugs me a bit that those temps raised just like that

You really need to give the absolute temperatures and not just the rise to know if there is an issue; the fan will kick in for higher loads so the temperature difference (compared to before) should go away at high loads.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by none77 View Post
    What is your case?
    How your PSU is mounted?
    i just said that the psu was mounted top with fan pointed down, new corsair psu is mounted the same. i'll try to mount a 120mm arctic F12 case fan to create some air flow and see how that goes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts

i just said that the psu was mounted top with fan pointed down, new corsair psu is mounted the same. i'll try to mount a 120mm arctic F12 case fan to create some air flow and see how that goes
    That's a very typical problem with poor case ventilation, especially when liquid cooling is used.

If the PSU is actively cooled (fan always spinning), then the PSU can cool the VRM's. More typically, a heatsink and fan is used on the CPU, and that can keep VRMs cool. But if the PSU is passively cooled and the CPU has liquid cooling, then the VRMs tend to run hotter.

So, out of curiosity, what kind of CPU cooler do you have?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (06-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That's a very typical problem with poor case ventilation, especially when liquid cooling is used.

If the PSU is actively cooled (fan always spinning), then the PSU can cool the VRM's. More typically, a heatsink and fan is used on the CPU, and that can keep VRMs cool. But if the PSU is passively cooled and the CPU has liquid cooling, then the VRMs tend to run hotter.

So, out of curiosity, what kind of CPU cooler do you have?
    it's some deepcool air cooler, don't really know the model, but it's nothing fancy by any means...just some normie like the stock cooler

jon if you're already here.. i wanna ask you about the corsair rm650x . so no noticeble coil whine or any electrical noises when the pc is on,if i put my ear close to the PSU i can hear some low electrical noises,at this point nothing too much to worry about right?... but the thing is, this electrical noise persist at a low level after i shut down the PC(normal shutdown,no ''fast startup'' enabled from power options) , again , i have to put my ear close to notice it, but it's there. if i shut the psu completely off from the button the sound is gone. So, is this normal and safe?does this indicate some flaw? i have read on various forums and it seems that there are some few other people that describe the exact same thing.
    Btw,can't i just switch it off from the button after each shutdown?
    Last edited by bluehillday; 06-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts

jon if you're already here.. i wanna ask you about the corsair rm650x . so no noticeble coil whine or any electrical noises when the pc is on,if i put my ear close to the PSU i can hear some low electrical noises,at this point nothing too much to worry about right?... but the thing is, this electrical noise persist at a low level after i shut down the PC(normal shutdown,no ''fast startup'' enabled from power options) , again , i have to put my ear close to notice it, but it's there. if i shut the psu completely off from the button the sound is gone. So, is this normal and safe?does this indicate some flaw? i have read on various forums and it seems that there are some few other people that describe the exact same thing.
    Btw,can't i just switch it off from the button after each shutdown?
    The buzzing is no harm. And yes, at 230V mains they tend to buzz more.

If you really can't hear it unless you put your ear right up to it, then why does it bother you?

Don't flip the switch on your PSU every day. That will kill a PSU over time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (06-01-2019), ehume (06-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The buzzing isn't bothering me,as it's not noticeble. only if i stay real close. My concern was from a safety point of view,if that electrical activity/buzz/fuzz while the pc was off,is normal.

Or if the buzz,in this situation, indicates a psu component that is ,faulty,or is going to fail in the near future. I'm aware that some psu's whine while pc is on and there is a high gpu activity. But i wasn't familiar with the situation where it occurs if the pc is off and mobo drawing little power.

The "no switch off" advice is good to know!