Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 115F ambient

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

46c-50c ambient temperature is not a significant amount, the only components that may have issues with this are mechanical drives. Anything else can handle such temperatures.

If they boot the servers using m.2 drives or from network (no drives) then should be no problem.

Also as for power supplies ... you sure they're regular ATX power supplies?

Google and Facebook are known to use DC to power racks ... like feeding 400v DC or something like that into servers. If you don't generate heat from bridge rectifiers, if you remove power factor correction circuits, all the EMI filtering is removed from psu... a power supply should handle 50 degrees ambient just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Interesting. I have been building computers where the PSUs draw air from beneath the case for ten years, and I got the impression at the time that this practice was not new.
    What case from 10 years ago mounted in the bottom with the fan down? I think maybe the idea was brand new 10 years ago.

First case I ever used where the fan mounted on the bottom was an Antec 900. That was in 2006 and there was no accommodation to have the fan suck outside air. The fan still pointed up into the PC sucking hot air off the graphics card. We actually wanted to have the fan point down so we used a Dremel to cut out the floor of the case to accommodate the PSU fan. It wasn't until much later that cases had the PSU mount on the bottom AND have a grill on the bottom so the fan can point down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    What case from 10 years ago mounted in the bottom with the fan down? I think maybe the idea was brand new 10 years ago.

First case I ever used where the fan mounted on the bottom was an Antec 900. That was in 2006 and there was no accommodation to have the fan suck outside air. The fan still pointed up into the PC sucking hot air off the graphics card. We actually wanted to have the fan point down so we used a Dremel to cut out the floor of the case to accommodate the PSU fan. It wasn't until much later that cases had the PSU mount on the bottom AND have a grill on the bottom so the fan can point down.
    According to records at New Egg, I bought my NZXT Beta Evo 2009-11-29. Bottom air intake. There were still some cases for sale where the PSU was top-mounted, but I had my pick of lots of cases with bottom-mounted PSUs. According to records at New Egg, I bought my daughter's Lian Li PC-7FN on 2010-10-16. She still uses it. It has the PSU mounted in the bottom, with air intake from the outside.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    46c-50c ambient temperature is not a significant amount, the only components that may have issues with this are mechanical drives. Anything else can handle such temperatures.

Well some supplies are significantly de-rated at that temperature

650W at 30 degree Celsius.
    600W at 40 degree Celsius
    480W at 50 degree Celsius
    Concerning hard drives

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heat-d...res-what-does/

"
    Relative humidity is the major reliability factor - more so than temperature
    "

"
    High temperatures are not harmless, but are much less significant than other factors.
    "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

CM690 from '07 had a bottom mounted PSU with a floor intake. The Cooler Master HAF 932, CM590, Cosmos, Cosmos S, NZXT Tempest, Silverstone TJ08, Lian-Li PC-V1010 all had bottom intakes in 2008.
    That's just from memory. I don't remember when Antec revised the 900/300 cases for a ventilated bottom but that happened around 08/09. I'd say 08/09 in general was when a bottom intake for your PSU became standard as 09 was when the NZXT Beta EVO released and it's basic frame was used by every budget brand as well as a few of the major brands on all the $50-70 mid towers coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    According to records at New Egg, I bought my NZXT Beta Evo 2009-11-29. Bottom air intake. There were still some cases for sale where the PSU was top-mounted, but I had my pick of lots of cases with bottom-mounted PSUs. According to records at New Egg, I bought my daughter's Lian Li PC-7FN on 2010-10-16. She still uses it. It has the PSU mounted in the bottom, with air intake from the outside.
    So 10 years ago you bought the first cases on the market that intake outside air and assumed at the time that it was something that existed for longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

So 10 years ago you bought the first cases on the market that intake outside air and assumed at the time that it was something that existed for longer.
    Must've done that. But IIRC there were a lot to choose from.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    CM690 from '07 had a bottom mounted PSU with a floor intake.
    The Cooler Master CM690! How could I forget? Oh yeah.. because that case was shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Cooler Master CM690! How could I forget? Oh yeah.. because that case was shit.
    Whoa man, those are fighting words!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pretty much all of the standard pre-builts form the like of Dell, HP etc have PSU's that draw air from within the case. On a lot of these PC's there generally the only exhaust in the PC. There are also quite a few budget oriented cases that use internal air, it mostly been phased out now for modern cases on the consumer side of things. But I can remember not too long ago when 99% of cases only had internal air for the PSU.