Thread: Is my power supply still safe to use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is my power supply still safe to use?

Hi, I have a Corsair RM1000x (purchased 2016) that works "fine", but one of the 8-pin connectors is not working, it features six of them, which has all been tested, five of them work, tested by running Furmark with GPU that pulls at least 350W.

When I plug the (Y) Split GPU cable into the one that is not working, the GPU is not being supplied power at all, fan does not spin up, it's like the entire connector is dead. But as said the other 5 slots work fine. I also tested with two GPUs in SLI, so 700W plus CPU test in the background for another 150W. And it works, it's not shutting the PC down / any sign of OCP kicking in.

So my question is, how safe is it to continue using this power supply? Since I do not know how power supplies work, I have no clue what could have been damaged, and if it could spread somehow in the future, having more connectors stop working?

The connector that is not working anymore is the P4 one in the image below, also, if I am going to continue using the power supply, is there any preferred way to connect the cables? Like should I use the bottom 3 connectors from now on (P6, P7 & P8)? Since it's a different row from the one that stopped working?

RM1000x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Do you have a multi meter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

So P3 and P6 still work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

If you haven't disassembled it, why not use the Warranty??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Do you have a multi meter?
    Yes, but at the moment I can't reach inside. When I get the opportunity, how do I measure it? I set it to read 12V and then what? Just the red (+) against the pin? Does black (-) have to touch anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    So P3 and P6 still work?
    Yes, only one not working is P4. If anyone has a clue of what could cause it, that would be very interesting to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    If you haven't disassembled it, why not use the Warranty??
    If the others work (and is safe long term) I don't see a reason why I'd use warranty, I will never use more than 3 of the PCIe cables, one for motherboard and the other two for one GPU (not using split cable).
    RM1000x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DomiOA View Post
    If the others work (and is safe long term) I don't see a reason why I'd use warranty, I will never use more than 3 of the PCIe cables, one for motherboard and the other two for one GPU (not using split cable).
    Because it has a 10 year warranty?

Nobody can tell you WHY that one connector doesn't work without having it in their own possession. I've been doing this for 15 years and I can't even tell you why only one connector would stop working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I've been doing this for 15 years and I can't even tell you why only one connector would stop working.
    Well, you could, if you had the Serial Number and he would send it in for Warranty Replacement
    After a couple of weeks of course...

Can the Problem be a cold Solderjoint of the Wire soldered next to it?

but its probably something totally weird that nobody would even think about...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DSC_2793.jpg
    For the 8pin header, note that all top slots (top = relative to the positive latch) are ground, all bottom slots are 12v

Multi-Meter How-To: Set to DC Volts > Place your RED (+ / positive) lead into a YLW slot & place BLK (- / ground / earth) lead into a black slot > volts should register as ~+12v > Keep BLK lead stationary & move red lead into remaining three yellow (bottom) slots to test for +12v > if OK, keep RED lead stationary, now move BLK lead into remaining three black (top) slots to confirm ground pins work or not

if u encounter a possible 'dead' 12v pin(s) / dead ground pin(s), move your RED or BLK leads (or both) back into known good pins (ie confirm a +12v reading on multi-meter)(alternative is to place lead or leads into a whole different header where u know all pins all volts-grounds are ok) > keep one lead on your known good pin & move your other lead back onto the suspect pin: if no 12v reading then pin is prolly 'dead' (I suppose u can 'jiggle it' or otherwise be semi-forceful with the lead to 'probe it' to see if u can register a reading = broken or semi-broken pin)

Capture.JPG
    u may also connect a known good VGA cable to your headers, test the connector ends for x3 12v / x5 grounds as above

If you don't warranty RMA it, u may have to sell it at a (steep) discount later
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Is that picture from your unit? if so you have lost the warrantee and might as well look for a bad solder joint.

If not, can you send a picture of your P4 connector?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Is that picture from your unit?
    No. Check the URL. It's from the RM1000x review.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (6 Days Ago)