Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU "problem"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU "problem"

Hi guys, i could use some help from you.

So..long story short...
    Recently my friend and i bought the same graphic card, ASUS RX570 expedition, from the same guy (used, three months old).
    We also have exactly the same hardware( we are good friends ) except for the power supply. He bought brand new LC Power 550w and mine was from the same brand 560W GP3 but 7 years old. I know you all hate LC POWER but i didnt had any problems for this many years until now.

So, shortly after i was getting these black screens, rarely and randomly and only when i played some games. This didnt happened with my old radeon 7850. My friend don't have these problems when he plays the same games so i suspected that my power supply is bad or insufficient. It was already very old so i decided to buy new one. I bought ANTEC NeoEco NE650C and everything is working fine for the moment although i didnt have time to test it in games but i did some basic testing with my multimeter and these are the readings:

LC POWER
    Cold test: 11,93v / 3.34v / 5.25v. Mounted and idle: 12.26v, under load 12.07v ( i didn't tested 3.3v and 5v in my pc, sorry)

ANTEC
    Mounted and idle: 11,90v, under load 11.85v

So my questions are...

Can the PSU be bad even if voltages are in safe limits?
    Did i made mistake by buying the ANTEC? I guess then, that my GPU is bad...
    What about the voltages on ANTEC? Should thay be slightly over 12v or is this normal?

Sorry for the long post and thank you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Let us know if you have any problems with the Antec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mirdza View Post
    Can the PSU be bad even if voltages are in safe limits?

The DC voltage can be good, but you don't know about ripple, or how fast it reacts to a load change.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (05-11-2019), mirdza (05-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys.. yesterday i had black screeen again, playing metro exodus. I am not sure but at this point i think it's not power supply related (probably gpu). Im starting to lose my mind because of this problem.

So... after some testing (aida64 full stress test, heaven benchmark and 3dmark) i measured voltage fluctuations in HWinfo, aida64 and with my multimeter and i am not impressed with this Antec.

Both programs recorded 11.37v lowest on 12v rail and my multimeter(low quality) showed 11,6v. 3.3v and 5v seems stable. I ran the tests for 2h each and not a single black screen. This happens only in games.

I decided to return the Antec and buy new PSU, just in case. So i would appriciate your comments and recommendations. Seasonic Focus Gold 550w and EVGA G2 550W seems ok to me but i am open to any suggestions in that price range (around 100e).

My HW:
    MB: Asus B350-f Gaming
    Memory: Corsair Vengance 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
    GPU: Asus Expedition RX570 ( i am planing to switch to 1070 and maybe 1080ti in future but i will never have two GPU's on this motherboard so i think 550w psu should be enough)
    Last edited by mirdza; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Both programs recorded 11.37v lowest on 12v rail and my multimeter(low quality) showed 11,6v.

I would trust the multimeter more, and 11.6V is only 3 1/3% down on 12V (the ATX spec allows 5%)

I'd try again with the PC open and a desk fan blowing on the internals to see if that helps; a lot of graphics cards are over-clocked out of the box.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    the ATX spec allows 5%
    Yes but 0.3v drop on brand new PSU of a "reputable" brand... I am not an expert but that doesn't feel right to me. I didn't researched well and know i see i can get the Seasonic Focus gold plus for 10e more which is considered as a very good PSU by Oklahoma Wolf on this site. Also i found out that Seasonic is tier 1 while Antec is tier 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I'd try again with the PC open and a desk fan blowing on the internals to see if that helps; a lot of graphics cards are over-clocked out of the box.
    Can you be more specific ashiekh, please. If you are concerned about the temperatures, in none of my tests the GPU exceeded 72c and CPU 60c. My PC is in pristine condition. If you think it will help i will try with fan but the problem is that this happens very rarely. I will have to test like this for 3 or 4 days to see. My graphic card is OC edition and on some other forum, some guy fixed the problem by lowering the frequency by 40mhz. I will try that also but i still don't understand why is this happening. I want to RMA the card, i still have the warranty, but first i need to be sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

My graphic card is OC edition and on some other forum, some guy fixed the problem by lowering the frequency by 40mhz. I will try that also but i still don't understand why is this happening. I want to RMA the card, i still have the warranty, but first i need to be sure.

Over-clocking comes at a price; not a lot to understand.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

mirdza (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Guys.. yesterday i had black screeen again, playing metro exodus. I am not sure but at this point i think it's not power supply related (probably gpu). Im starting to lose my mind because of this problem.
    Yeah. I didn't think it was a PSU problem in the first place. But you already ordered the Antec. That's why I said, "let us know how it does with the Antec."

HWInfo, AIDA64, etc. cannot be trusted to measure voltage. It's not like when you run one of those programs, a giant robot arm comes out of the motherboard and probes the voltages of the PSU. Does your PSU have a PMBUS output? No. So how are those programs really measuring your PSU's voltage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    It's not like when you run one of those programs, a giant robot arm comes out of the motherboard and probes the voltages of the PSU.
    LOL...
    I read this form hwinfo author "HWiNFO is as precise as the PSU's monitoring circuits are. However exact specifications about accuracy are not available, you might try to contact the PSU vendor for further details."

So my noob assumption was that somehow the motherboard is reading this.