Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 750W+ PSU for VEGA 56, Ryzen 1600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Looking for 750W+ PSU for VEGA 56, Ryzen 1600

For the last three weeks I was fighting pc reboots and Kernel Power errors. Now I'm looking to swap my Corsair CX 750M (second gen I guess?) for a more quality PSU to power the following parts:

VEGA 56
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Asrock B350 Pro4
    16 GB GSkill 3000 MHz RAM
    1 DVD Drive
    1 HDD 7200 RPM
    2 SSD

What would you guys recommend for a 1,3V OC on the Ryzen and like +50% powerlimit vega? I'm in Germany, currently planned around 80-100 for a nice PSU.

Although I have a semi-modular PSU, what would be the actual benefits of it compared to a PSU lacking it? Just less hassle with cables?
    I read a bit about the differences in the PSUs, the amount of rails, the wattage specification, etc. in the guides available here, but what else would you guys recommend looking out for?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B078X1KZ8N/?tag=pcp05-21&th=1 over your budget but i'd get this one . with a modular psu you get better cable management..you keep in the box the cables you don't use,if you have a itx case you save alot of space
    look for reviews..not the usual comments by customers but real test on voltage regulations,ripples,protections etc..
    i don't think you need 750w tho.. 650w version for 105 euro will do as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thank you for the recommendation, yeah I'm currently looking into it and I rather invest even a bit more into a quality PSU and than anything else.

I still gotta look into some reviews for the PSU, but another thing that came to my mind is the coil whine in my GPU. I read somewhere that this could also be caused by a bad PSU so I'm pretty curious what actually contributes to coil whine? Does it have anything to do with the PSU like inconsistent voltages or is it purely due to the GPU parts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grixor View Post
    For the last three weeks I was fighting pc reboots and Kernel Power errors. Now I'm looking to swap my Corsair CX 750M (second gen I guess?) for a more quality PSU
    I would suggest making sure the problem was actually the PSU. Last post like this I responded to with the same symptoms, the problem was his graphics card.

Do you have a friend with a PSU you can borrow to make sure it's not a PSU issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I would suggest making sure the problem was actually the PSU. Last post like this I responded to with the same symptoms, the problem was his graphics card.

Do you have a friend with a PSU you can borrow to make sure it's not a PSU issue?

Sadly nobody has an as powerful PSU as I would need, so I didn't get to test it.
    Ironically it started a while after I built in my new VEGA 56, but all benchmarking tests, mem86 etc. end up successful (even with +50% powerlimit). The thing is that decreasing the powerlimit on the VEGA will increase the intervals in which this issue happens and I wouldn't mind actually seeing the GPU at fault, but recently I even had some other Kernel BSODs which just points to RAM or PSU.
    I also don't have a spare GPU that actually pulls as much power as the VEGA so I'm assuming if the benchmarks work, then the PSU just occasionally fails to deliver the required power.

I looked into your post history, but didn't find the post you're talking about. Perhaps you could link it?

If my assumptions are wrong or if there are any tips or guides, feel free to tell me, I'm really eager to learn more about this whole topic and actually figure out what's the cause of this whole issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I looked into your post history, but didn't find the post you're talking about. Perhaps you could link it?
    That's because it was a thread jack over at LTT's forums.

Here's the post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tristerin
    Im going to get to the bottom of this tonight but I think my Corsair HX850 is shot. I don't think its my R9 Fury and will eliminate that tonight. If it is, then Ive already got my eyes set on Vega 64.

getting complete system restarts (no fan spin ups just dead shut down then restart) at random when GPU takes load, or random during gaming (cant replicate, just random)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    Reboot isn't typically a PSU issue. Shut down is.
    If it's rebooting, look at RAM as a possible source of your issue.

Windows Event Viewer shows a power failure each time its occured (not at home again right now so cant give a screen/exact nomenclature) and the way its worded (on each instance it occurs, and Wattman pops up saying there was a power issue and the GPU restarted) is indicative to me as a PSU issue, because the whine just developed last week to the point of having a quiet PC to having one I can absolutely hear as soon as load is put on the PSU. Ill run memtest but I 100% doubt is the RAM, and have another DDR4 dual channel kit to check just in case as well. 99% of every other indication says yes, PSU can cause Restarts so not sure why you would say this wouldn't be indicative of a PSU as I am not getting anything but this restart (no BSOD, BlackSOD, shut downs, memory codes, etc - the things that point to RAM).

.... a week later ....

it wasn't the PSU. It was MSI Afterburner causing the restarts. After extensive testing, part replacement, pulling my hair out after admitting its not the PSU, the bowels of reddit had my answer.
    I was incorrect - I should not have assumed so quickly, and vehemently about the product.

For those of you with Radeon cards, Wattman is no longer playing nice with Afterburner/Riva Statistics Tuner - Im not the only one experiencing this. Removed MSI Afterburner and Riva, PSU whine completely gone, zero crashes since. (EDIT - only used AB for fan curve, and didn't utilize Riva at all so no overclocks)

Anyway.. That's just one example. I'm just saying that we get a lot of people in here that say "I have reboots" or "Asus Anti-Surge detected a power surge", etc. and it's almost never the PSU. It's almost always something else.

A quality PSU (and that actually includes your CX750) that can't output power properly has the protections in place to shut itself down. Not cause a reboot. A truly shitty PSU might cause a reboot, but we're not talking about that.

Also, if you do want to get a new PSU just so you can have something nicer, more feature rich, more efficient, etc., you don't need 750W. A good 650W is more than enough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Anker_by (05-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I still gotta look into some reviews for the PSU, but another thing that came to my mind is the coil whine in my GPU. I read somewhere that this could also be caused by a bad PSU so I'm pretty curious what actually contributes to coil whine? Does it have anything to do with the PSU like inconsistent voltages or is it purely due to the GPU parts?
    Has nothing to do with voltage output. It's just the frequency of the power going through the magnetics of the PSU being at an audible level.

PSU's with "hard switching" may be a little noisier with higher end graphics cards because the transients spike so hard and fast. Like striking the transformer with a metal bar. The noise might be annoying, but it's not a sign of anything not functioning properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

But no AC should be getting out from the power supply, so whine in the power supply is one thing, but whine on the GPU card another, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    But no AC should be getting out from the power supply, so whine in the power supply is one thing, but whine on the GPU card another, no?
    Whine on the GPU is a whole other thing that has nothing to do with AC ripple.

I've even had USB keyboards with "coil whine".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks for looking up your last post and helping out so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post

A quality PSU (and that actually includes your CX750) that can't output power properly has the protections in place to shut itself down. Not cause a reboot. A truly shitty PSU might cause a reboot, but we're not talking about that.

Also, if you do want to get a new PSU just so you can have something nicer, more feature rich, more efficient, etc., you don't need 750W. A good 650W is more than enough.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I tried some more GPU stress tools/benchmarks and using furmark with a +50% powerlimit, the GPU was at 80% usage, drawing 210W and sometimes the result was another kernel power error.
    I guess I really would need to try out a different PSU as I can't recreate this behavior with -50% powerlimit for example (which strangely enough puts my GPU to 99% usage in furmark).
    As you said, I really don't like believing that the PSU could be the cause, but shouldn't those stress tests actually confirm that the GPU is capable and stable?

In the end it's really difficult to determine which part is causing issues in the end, but in the end a PSU is way cheaper than a GPU so hopefully a quality one can fix all those issues.
    Most probably I'll get the 650W recommended bequiet straight power 11, as this strikes me as pretty balanced but still high end. Plenty of quality to not make me doubt the PSU again in the near future

Also thanks for the short and concise explanation on coil whine, as far as I can tell there's nothing one can do except actually making the parts of the GPU in this case "sturdier" so they don't react as hard when transfering the power.