Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good PSU for retro PCs? Tagan TG420-UO2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good PSU for retro PCs? Tagan TG420-UO2

I've been keeping an eye out for a quality power supply with strong 5V rail for retro PC use, like socket A machines and such, and noticed this Tagan with 42A on 5V up for sale locally, sellers wants 20 euros for it. I asked for some photos inside so I can check what the caps are like. Looking at them, they don't seem to be japanese, but I dont see any bulging either. What do you guys thing, is this a good one or should I pass and keep looking?

photos from seller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/ta...ye/ixeye_4.htm

The primaries look Panasonic (Matsushita)
    the secondaries Hitachi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is that the case for all units tho? Check the pics the seller sent me, I read "Koshin" on some of them, which seems to be a chinese brand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Probably best not to risk it, although many people here would know better than myself.

I have been known to recap old units, but it can add heavily to the cost.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-09-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Pretty sure there's a lot more to power supplies then capacitors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (05-10-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found an old thread here from 10 years ago where Jon Gerow himself recommends Fortron FSP300-60PN, FSP350-60PN or FSP400-60PN for this kind of 5V heavy use. Should I take it as these being the very best for the task still? Because I think Ive seen these sell for next to nothing locally, pretty often, I should be able to stock up with a bunch of them if I tried, but I wouldn't bother unless they're the absolute top choice. Another old thread I found had recommendations for FSP300-GTF / FSP350-GTF, or Antec SL300, SL350 or SL450. Has there been a consensus on which is the absolute best model power supply for retro PCs that demand a lot from the 5V rail like socket A athlon XP builds for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Pretty sure there's a lot more to power supplies then capacitors.
    Without a doubt, but it seemed a concern he had with an old unit; gotta start some place, but it is good to be reminded that life just isn't that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by IvoLazarov View Post
    I've been keeping an eye out for a quality power supply with strong 5V rail for retro PC use
    Only time I really take old supplies seriously is if I am really going to use the machine a lot. If it is just for nostalgia, I'd not worry too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I sure would, I'm into retro gaming and archival of retro games, building up quite the collection already and do enjoy it quite a lot. I enjoy the hardware too, and I've already done a few win98 and winXP builds, tho I'm shying away from actively using any motherboards that lack the ATX12V connector for the exact purpose that I don't know what is the best power supply to use for them and I don't quite trust the couple of no-brand PSUs I have with 30A/5V ratings

P.S. I have an Asus TX97-XE with Pentium 200, Asus P3B-F with P2-450 and P3-1000, an Asus TUSL2-C with P3-1400S, Asus P4T-F with P4-2.0, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with Asus CT479 and Pentium M 780, and AsRock Conroe865PE with Pentium E5800, also 3x socket A boards - Abit KT7A-Raid, Gigabyte 7VT880 Pro and Abit NF7-Sv2 with some mobile bartons, DFI LanParty NF3-250Gb with Turion and LanParty NF4 Ultra-D with Opteron, and a collection of various PCI and AGP graphics cards and a few cool sound cards from creative, aureal, yamaha, turtle beach and hercules. My retro game collection archive is about to overflow from the 2x 2TB offline archive HDDs I keep so I should soon get 2 more. I'm deep into this already, no turning back now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Old PSUs. Don't the innards age? Perhaps the problem would not exist with newly-built PSUs, but then would they be so cheap?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Old PSUs. Don't the innards age?
    I'd argue that the capacitors were the things that are most likely age; that and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by IvoLazarov View Post
    Oh, I sure would, I'm into retro gaming and archival of retro games, building up quite the collection already and do enjoy it quite a lot. I enjoy the hardware too, and I've already done a few win98 and winXP builds, tho I'm shying away from actively using any motherboards that lack the ATX12V connector for the exact purpose that I don't know what is the best power supply to use for them and I don't quite trust the couple of no-brand PSUs I have with 30A/5V ratings
    Some people who renovate old equipment like to keep them stock; if this is your case you might want to stick with the power supply that came with the unit.