Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i get the cm masterwatt 450w?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default should i get the cm masterwatt 450w?

it's a semi-modular , and fanless psu bellow 15%load but has 85C rated caps. maybe i could get a psu with 105C rated caps for a little more money , does it really matter and have any impact on the psu life span? other options to consider in this price range are xilence performance a+ 430w 10euro more than cm, corsair cx450 15euro more or bq pp 11 400w 20euro more.any other options in the 400-450w range worh considering? i don't have a high end system by any means that's why i wanna settle with a 40-50euro PSU.i wanna use the psu with an i3 8100 and rx570

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Primary caps tend not to generate much heat and so, in my opinion, are fine with 85C rating; now secondary caps are a quite different issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Primary caps tend not to generate much heat and so, in my opinion, are fine with 85C rating; now secondary caps are a quite different issue.
    IMG_7417.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Ah yes... you are right; I had forgotten that APFC puts an extra strain on the primary capacitor.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-02-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    come on jon,you don't need to elaborate your choice, just tell me what you would personally choose from what i've listed above

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluehillday View Post
    it's a semi-modular , and fanless psu bellow 15%load but has 85C rated caps. maybe i could get a psu with 105C rated caps for a little more money , does it really matter and have any impact on the psu life span? other options to consider in this price range are xilence performance a+ 430w 10euro more than cm, corsair cx450 15euro more or bq pp 11 400w 20euro more.any other options in the 400-450w range worh considering?
    Where should we look?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluehillday View Post
    come on jon,you don't need to elaborate your choice, just tell me what you would personally choose from what i've listed above
    If I did, I'd be called a shill (Corsair CX Series)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (05-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yeah, I'd pay the price for the Pure Power. The CX450 only comes with one PCIe Connector for whatever reason.

The Beef I have with the Master Watt is that semi fanless mode and the lack of connections. Not an issue on 450W but the 550W should come with two PCIe Connectors, especially since it works somewhat OKish with VEGA (=works but strong electronics noise).

Though in general the Master Watt is decent and should work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    From what I heard there are other things that kill the Primary Cap for example unclean input voltage...
    That said, a surge could also have caused the cap to blow, possibly other stuff.

Its also possible that the smaller caps might die sooner than bigger primary caps due to ipple current.

That said, we're talking about 230VAC input where the primary cap is less of an issue than in 110VAC Regions like Japan and the US.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (05-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I live in the place with normal temp around 32oC and inside the case never below 40oC and cap rate 85oC working fine ( may be this will derate faster than 105oC ). Look at expensive toys like tektronix tds3000 series . they still use jamicon 85oC bulk cap in power supply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Just to confuse the matter

http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Video/P...r_Supplies.pdf

"
    Electrolytic capacitors exist in (at least) two different temperature ratings: 85C and 105C. The latter are obviously more temperature resistant. Unfortunately they also tend to have a higher ESR than their 85C counterparts. So in an application where the heat is due to I^2 * ESR dissipation, the 105C type may actually be a *worse* choice! If the heat is due to a nearby hot heatsink then 105C is indeed a better choice.
    "

I'd add that if the heat is due to a nearby heatsink, then it was probably badly designed.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-02-2019 at 07:28 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

bluehillday (05-03-2019)