Thread: Is there anything bad with Seasonic SSR-650FX?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there anything bad with Seasonic SSR-650FX?

Hi

First time posting here. Usually I would spend a couple of weeks doing a bit of reading, digging in reviews, etc, but I need a new PSU ASAP (ok, it is not that urgent, but I would like to get it done in a week).

Long story short, I need a new PSU for my PC because I will use my current one to build another PC with some old pieces. Right now I am using a Gigabyte Odin Pro 550W GE-M550A-D1 (remember those?) that is still working with no apparent problems after 13 or so years of use.

My specs:

- Ryzen 2700X
    - Radeon RX480
    - Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
    - 1 SSD + 3 HDD
    - Case Fractal Design Define R5 with 3 fans.
    - No overclock.

My requisites are:
    - Good quality. I want something at least on par with the Gigabyte (should not be that hard nowadays). It must be stable with no quirks or "character". Connect and forget.
    - Silent. It does not need to be passive. The Odin has a 14mm fan that is nice, but I would want something as good or better.
    - Modular or semimodular.

Things I don't care:
    - Aestethics. The case has a solid door with dampening material and it is under a table. The PSU could be pink or hazardous green and I would not mind at all.
    - RGB, Gaming, etc...

I used seasonic's power calculator and it suggested to get a 750w PSU (a bit of BS, IMHO).

The model I am currently thinking of buying is the one in the title, Seasonic SSR-650FX. The 550W should be enough too, but I can get the 650W for 99 and the 550 is only 5 less. I read in some reviews that the noise is starting to be noticeable at 75% load, but most of the time it will be used for programming or things like that. I game from time to time but then the noise will be less important (unless it is loud).

Is my choice good? Is there something "bad" known about it that don't get mentioned usually on reviews? (like some units having coil whine or something like that). Any alternatives that are "better" that the Seasonic? Budget is 100.

Sorry for the amount of text and thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If Seasonic didn't fix the fan, its not the quietest.

Better ALternatives:
    550W Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11.
    I'd like to mention Cougar GX-F, but that's useless right now.

And the Silverstone Strider Platinum is a bit expensive.

PS: A 14mm fan would be quite tiny, 10.000rpm or so to move some air and not something you'd want ;-) *scnr*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how I missed the Straight power and it seems it is what I am looking for.

And yes, it is 14cm :P
    I remember how loud and crap those 4cm fans were back in the day. I can't imagine a 14mm =:0